• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

• Hey Guest,

We made a Twitter thread regarding the Kenneth Law situation on Twitter at this link here if you would like to take a look. It shows that the journalists covering this case aren't objective and clarifies our position on the matter. If you would like to view the thread: Click Here
ixkitty

ixkitty

Let me be Selfish, just this once.
Aug 15, 2020
My opinion is that there is no afterlife - we're just atoms.

...so I (lightheartedly!) I asked gpt (paid, intelligent version that has internet access, not the free one) what it's conclusion was, bearing in mind it has effectively absorbed the entirety of human knowledge up to the current day. I think it's answer was pretty decent!

"Given my role as an AI developed to process and analyze information based on existing human knowledge, including scientific, philosophical, and cultural perspectives, I can provide a conclusion based on the current state of human understanding. However, it's important to note that this conclusion is inherently limited by the current scope of human knowledge and does not represent an ultimate truth.

As of now, there is no empirical evidence or scientific proof of an afterlife. Scientific understanding of consciousness and life suggests that consciousness is a product of brain activity and ceases when biological functions stop. Therefore, if I were to draw a conclusion based solely on the empirical evidence and scientific understanding available up to this point, it would lean towards the view that consciousness does not continue after death, and there is no afterlife in the sense often described by religions and spiritual beliefs.

That said, this conclusion is subject to change if new evidence or scientific discoveries emerge. The question of an afterlife touches on the very limits of human understanding and remains one of the great mysteries of existence. It's a topic where science, philosophy, and personal belief intersect, and where definitive answers are elusive."
This is an amazing reply from AI. I like it

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi
Hysteria

Hysteria

Crimson
Jan 8, 2024
I don't believe in the afterlife or the paranormal whatsoever. However, I know I had a ghost experience. My mommy and I were sleeping in the same room when I was something younger than 10 because we didn't have the money for more rooms. I woke up to metallic noises at night, and it wasn't Black Sabbath.

I've seen a faint female shape in long, white rags and silver hair standing back to me as I sat in the bed. She was doing something with the jewelry box. I asked: "Mommy, what are you doing now?" The answer below the blanket shocked me: "Why aren't you sleeping?" I was so scared I immediately hid below the blanket and pretended to be asleep. My mommy yelled at me: "Why the f*ck did you wake me up?" And I didn't have the courage to answer. She kept asking for a while, but the cold fear paralyzed me as I listened to the voices.

Morning, I told everyone about my experience. Probably, it wasn't a dream because my mommy recalled the event, but she didn't take her head from below the blanket and look around. I don't know if my mommy could have seen or heard the ghost if she had been more attentive. And I recalled the same dialogue, which suggests I was awake. I don't think it was sleep paralysis because I was speaking and moving throughout the experience. My mommy remembered me sitting up and then hiding in the blanket over the course of several minutes.

No one believed me, and everyone refused to investigate. And I think it was mean because I don't believe in the paranormal myself, but the ghost could have been a thief or a symptom of mental illness. If I had children, I'd definitely be concerned with the possibility of a criminal breaking into their room or their mental health.

• Love
BlessedBeTheFlame

BlessedBeTheFlame

Acta est fabula, plaudite
Feb 2, 2024
I don't believe in an afterlife. Most people where I live are atheists and I myself am agnostic, so I never believed in afterlife in the first place. I could go on about why I think certain religions are full of crap entirely. I have never seen anyone make a convincing claim to any sort of afterlife, that doesn't become contradicted by some other fact. But I feel like daydreaming about an afterlife helps me overcome some of my fears.

I often imagine myself living somewhere far away from everybody else with only a few people, who unlike everyone in this life, actually love me. I fantasize about how they'd support and accept me somehow. I fantasize about how they'd cuddle with me and how they'd help me recover from my life. I like to think this life is just a dream and the afterlife would be me awakening from this dream. Honestly, I just want someone to pity me in the very end and help me away from everything. I want some place, where I can truly live. Because in truth, I don't want to die, I just know I will never be happy again in this life. I want to keep living, so I can do all these things I always wanted to do, but I know I can't.

I feel like the more I think and see peoples complaints about life here, the more I realize the best way is just to never have existed at all. Happiness is a terrible emotion, since it lulls you into thinking you can keep going. There will always be people, who hate you for what makes you happy. If you count up all of that, then all happiness is outweighed by the pain you will later feel for it. If people don't accept you for what makes you happy, it's better to never have been happy at all. The pain of rejection is just far too powerful to have any happy moment overcome it. Any positive event is negative, when you account for all the little things you don't even seem to notice. The only way to live life to its absolute fullest is to never have lived at all, since having lived only gives rise to horrible things. In the end, I guess the best afterlife is nothingness. I still idiotically feel like fading back into nothingness is a sad fate, but I know now it's the only decent option I have.

• Love
dysthymia

dysthymia

the dead regret nothing
Dec 24, 2023
There's this theory that the brain is like a antenna/radio picking up on the signal aka consciousness which is emitted from another dimension. The reason why people become weird after brain damage is because their brain can't pick up on the consciousness properly anymore and people have auditory hallucinations from their brains picking up on other consciousnesses. [(I don't mean to be insensitive about psychotic illnesses (also people can hallucinate without being mentally ill)].

Another theory is that when we die, our senses are reduced to near-nothing. But we know consciousness is generated from our specific brain structure so if someone manages to replicate my brain's exact structure and pathways, I will 'respawn' in that brain.

We know that consciousness is energy and energy can't be destroyed, it can only be transformed. So we live on in the end, our atoms just arranged differently.

• Love
WheelSucker459

WheelSucker459

Will follow you wherever
Jan 13, 2024
I don't know either way

I had ghost experiences once or twice but the idea of nothing and the idea of more after are both scary to think of. Its like theres no winning either way. Im not sure who else feels like that.