• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

P

protect101

Dec 28, 2022
Helloooo, I'm sharing my story of ingesting SN in the hopes the information is useful to some people. I've requested copies of my medical and ambulance records which is why I'm able to be so detailed, alongside memory recall of the day and very brief notes I wrote at the time/shortly afterwards.

Context
I ordered 50g sodium nitrite via the Canadian IC source (no longer exists) and received the parcel on the same day I ingested it. I was constantly experiencing suicidal thoughts in the lead-up to this and ingested it with intent of dying. However, within minutes of taking SN I decided I guess I got cold feet and in the moment was reminded of (admittedly very few) connections to life/reasons to keep living; so left it up to fate in a way, by self-rescuing. This was about 6 months ago. I was about 95kg and 175cm.

Pre-ingestion of SN
I fasted by not eating in the afternoon/evening on that day (upwards of 10 hours fasting).
I travelled to a quiet field next to a park (there were no people around in the area I was)
I took 1500mg paracetamol 1hr before ingestion.
I took 30mg metoclopramide 45mins before ingestion.
I ingested 1/2 a tablespoon of sodium nitrite (not accurately measured, so unsure how many g this was) at 22:35.

22:35 Initial Symptoms/Impact
Slight tremor and discomfort in arms and legs, though I now know this was actually due to the metoclopramide NOT the sodium nitrite (I experienced this symptoms later, taking the same dose of metoclopramide, I do not have this symptoms when taking prochlorperazine). It was really tiring to remain standing in the minutes leading up to and after ingestion and I felt droswy. My breathing became a little bit heavier, but was not uncomfortable or painful. I was very reflective in this couple of minutes, thinking about reasons for dying and connection to life, and it was sort of like a 'quickplay' of memories and moments in my life - I put this down to researching SN and knowing how fatal the substance is.

22:47 Call to NHS 111
At this point, I 'self-rescued' by reaching out for medical help. Honestly I'm not sure why. But right now I think I'm glad I did (though I have BPD/EUPD so it fluctuates... a lot). I was allocated an emergency ambulance response for risk of suicide (category 3). A category 3 call has a target response time of 120 minutes. The call was passed from NHS 111 to 999 at 22:53. I had a pulse oximiter with me at the time, and between 22:53 and 23:03, my o2 sat reached 85%. I remember telling the NHS 111 health advisor this, and that is what triggered an upgrade to category 2 (target response time of 18 minutes). The NHS 111 team also contacted police too, to ask for them to respond too.

23:03 Crew dispatched
The ambulance crew were dispatched at 23:03 and were mobile at 23:04. The NHS 111 health advisor remained on the phone with me, however I did not say much as I began to feel nauseous and continued to feel tired standing and slightly droswy (remained GCS 15 & alert).

23:25 Ambulance arrived
Police and ambulance crew (paramedic, paramedic student and a technician) arrived at about the same time, however police were not needed as I walked to the ambulance once asked to. They found me sat on a bench. Their assessment noted that my airway was clear with equal entry, however my respiratory rate was 34/min and I appeared cyanosed (blue). It was a cold night, so I also appeared hypothermic and was shivering. I was given oxygen at a rate of 15L/min through a non-rebreather mask however this did not improve my oxygen sats much.

23:40 Vital Signs/NEWS2
Pupils equal and reactive, both 8mm
AVPU: Alert
GCS: 15
Capillary refill: 3 secs
Resp rate: 22
Pulse: 170 BPM
SpO2: 81 on room air
SpO2: 85 on oxygen
BP: 153/71
Glucose: 8.8
Temp: 35 degrees
NEW2 Score: 11

23:45 Activated Charcoal
I was given activated charcoal and had 1/2 of the bottle/dose (25g of 50g). I'm unsure if this had any effect on the poisoning, but doctors appeared pleased I was given it by the crew. At this point, in terms of symptoms, they remained the same as before, tiredness with heavy/fast breathing but no pain. I had an ECG taken and was also warmed with heated blankets. I was cannulated by the crew.

23:58 Left scene
The ambulance left scene on route to hospital.

00:02 Pre-alert to emergency department
Due to my NEWS2 score (meaning high clinical risk / emergency response threshold for assessment by a team with critical care competencies) the ambulance crew informed the hospital they were on route, providing an an ATMIST handover.

00:22 Vital Signs/NEWS2
Resp rate: 26
Pulse: 137
SpO2: 87%
BP: 121/94
Temp: 35.6 degrees
NEWS2 Score: 12

00:25 Arrived at hospital
Taken to the resus bay and seen by the team (registrar & 2 nurses) who were awaiting due to the pre-alert. Whilst in the emergency department, my SpO2 reached 63% (I'm not sure how this was so different to the ambulance SpO2 - I assume progression of the sodium nitrite absorption?). I was given oxygen through both a nasal cannula and a NBR simulatenously. The doctors discussed with Toxbase/NPIS and also made a referral to critical care who came down to the emergency department to support with treatment. The notes record that I was cold, experiencing peripheral shutdown, was shivering, sweaty, had a slate grey appearance, had profound central and periphoral cyanosis and was nauseated. Experienced palpitations.

Baseline observations in hospital:
Resp rate: 24
SpO2: 69%
Pulse: 154
BP: 147/69
Temp: 36.3 degrees
Glucose: 7.6
ECG: Sinus tachycardia
NEWS2 Score: 11

00:38 Venus Blood Gas
pH: 7.38
O2Hb: 28%
MetHB: 45.8%
Lact: 2.8

00:40 Methylene blue
I was given my first dose of methylene blue at this time which was 2mg/kg. I vomited a number of times after receiving this dose. There was little to no improvement in my vitals/overall condition, and I became aware that the doctors had ordered blood to be on standby for exchange transfusion (which is another treatment method for SN overdose, by transusing blood to increase oxygen carrying capability of red blood cells). The critical care doctor put in an arterial line to monitor my blood pressure and allow for the nurses to take repeated ABGs later on.

Another methylene blue dose
I was given a second methylene blue dose again 2mg/kg (4mg/kg total). Again, vomited and was nauseous. I had blue ink all over my arm where the nurse had accidently let some leak whilst attaching it to the IV. NEWS2 score at 01:00 was 9.

01:10 Post-methelyene blue blood gas
pH: 7.34
O2Hb: 72%
MetHb: 10.8%
Lact: 2.0

It was about this point, after both doses, that I was starting to feel a little less unwell/nauseated and felt my breathing was a little better. I think the doctors/nurses began tiltrating me off of additional O2 after this, as my O2 sats improved:

O2 sats:
00:35 - 83%
00:45 - 82%
01:00 - 69%
01:15 - 77%
01:30 - 98%

02:00 Handed over to ICU
I was admitted to ICU and received 1:1 nursing care (hourly blood gasses and contiuous vitals monitoring). I felt pretty much back to normal except for heart rate spikes when I changed my posture or sat up in the bed, which caused the monitor to beep lots. NEWS2 score was 6. Otherwise, my time in the ICU was pretty much uneventful. However, my potassium levels did drop quite low so I required oral supplements followed by IV replacement of K.

14:00 Mental Health Liaison
Seen by mental health liaison who referred me to the crisis team lol.

15:00 ICU Research Nurse
Seen by one of the ICU research nurses who offered for me to take part in research about the chemical I took, have it tested, and to explore how I got the chemical. Refused consent for the study.

20:30 Stepped down to ward
Again, pretty much back to normal physically. No symptoms continued. Urine was blue/green discoloured because of the antidote.

09:30 Ward round
Told by ward consultant that sodium nitrite has a short half-life so was pretty much all out of my system now. NEWS2 score 0.

11:30 Discharged
Discharged home. Discoloured urine from antidote continued for at least another 48 hours I believe. Seen by mental health crisis team that evening.

So yeah... that's the story. I know others have reached very high MetHB levels upwards of 70%, however this absolutely highlights how fatal and effective sodium nitrite is. If I was to CTB with SN, I'd use prochlorperazine as I have a number of side effects of metoclopramide - so keep that in mind folks. Be sure you're not allergic/have lots of side effects to the antiemetics.

I'm open to questions if you have any, and sorry for failing to follow the correct procedure by self-rescuing..

Last edited:
D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
do you think you would have died if you didnt call for help?

Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
Can't think of anything to say really...this is really well detailed in terms of the medical aspects of it and what your medical condition was from start to finish. I don't think you have any reason to apologize for aborting the attempt, you had your reasons and they are to be respected above any reason to feel guilty about being rescued.

Last edited:
Sleeper System

Sleeper System

Z z Z z Z z Z z Z z Z
May 5, 2022
I read everything. Thank you for describing your experience and in such great detail. I admit all the numbers and stats were basically gibberish to me but I found it very eye opening.

I want to know a few things. The first is how you feel right now and your thoughts on the whole experience. Second I need to know what that medical bill is looking like. I'm scared to ask. >_<

P

protect101

Dec 28, 2022
why apologise?
I know that in the past when other people have shared their experiences of failed SN the response hasn't been so great, hence the apology! But I appreciate the support so far on this thread.

do you think you would have died if you didnt call for help?
I'd say so yeah. I didn't bring up/vomit any of the SN, and my oxygen SATs were at a dangerous level just 25-30 minutes after taking it. Half a tablespoon is at least a couple of grams. A single gram has been reported to be fatal. Its likely I would've gone into cardiac/respiratory arrest without help, yes. Half a tablespoon is also a lot less than the 25g suggested on here. I appreciate the question.
Can't think of anything to say really...this is really well detailed in terms of the medical aspects of it and what your medical condition was from start to finish. I don't think you have any reason to apologize for aborting the attempt, you had your reasons and they are to be respected above any reason to feel guilty about being rescued.
I appreciate the kind words, thank you.

I read everything. Thank you for describing your experience and in such great detail. I admit all the numbers and stats were basically gibberish to me but I found it very eye opening.

I want to know a few things. The first is how you feel right now and your thoughts on the whole experience. Second I need to know what that medical bill is looking like. I'm scared to ask. >_<
A fair few of the medical bits definitely took some research lol. It's literally like another language of sorts. If I have time might go back and explain some of the medical terms a bit more.

I think right now I feel a bit mixed. A part of me still feels like life is worthless and there's no point to it, but I also feel hopefully about certain things I've managed to achieve and that bring purpose for me. Chances are that I'll end up attempting suicide again, as that's become a bit of a pattern for me, but I am due to start a talking therapy especially for BPD so maybe that will change things. Idk. Kinda in limbo at the moment through the uncertainty!

Medical bill was Ā£0, definitely grateful for the NHS in the United Kingdom providing free healthcare because I wouldn't afford it otherwise šŸ˜…

Thanks for not participating in the "study" (intell gathering) and fucking it up for others.

What you described is why this would not be my method of choice. Too much time for panic/regret/calling for help.
Oh 100%. That makes sense, and I'm glad it's maybe helped you to make a bit more of an informed choice.

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Dude! or Dudette whatever the case may be, no need to say sorry at all. Not being morbid or anything but I read it all and I appreciate the detailed description. If the experience changed your outlook then good for you, if not, then at least you shared your experience so people would be guided and factor in your observations, so it's a win-win. Thank you for the details.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
zel

zel

Curiosity killed the cat, eh?
Oct 17, 2023
As someone in the medical field (emergency medicine, coincidentally), I can't express how grateful I am to you for having requested the medical records/documentation and sharing it with us. It's quite easy to read up about the general treatment methods (e.g. methylene blue IV, or activated charcoal within the EMS scope of practice), but having a personalized case report with all the salient vitals is something I have not seen before.

P.s. you write:
Whilst in the emergency department, my SpO2 reached 63% (I'm not sure how this was so different to the ambulance SpO2 - I assume progression of the sodium nitrite absorption?).
I'd take any trending with a grain of salt clinically here. If you're curious, it's worth mentioning that pulse oximetry is a notoriously unreliable method for assessing actual tissue oxygenation in any sort of dyshemoglobinemia (a general term for dysfunction of the hemoglobin - the oxygen carrying molecule in your blood cells).

This is why, for example, one must not trust the pulse oximeter's SpO2 readings in patients coming from a house fire or a smoking vehicle. The presence of carbon monoxide (and other chemicals) can provoke a condition called carboxyhemoglobinemia. In severe cases, it is well documented and understood that there can be a mismatch between the patient's condition, your physical examination, and the oximetry. Anyway, I'm probably getting carried away here but if you have any questions about your treatment, I'd be happy to do my best to help.

(I'll throw out this article while I'm at it: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18989162/)

Last edited:
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
A single gram has been reported to be fatal. Its likely I would've gone into cardiac/respiratory arrest without help, yes. Half a tablespoon is also a lot less than the 25g suggested on here. I appreciate the question.
So you took way less than the 25g? Yeah you definitely weren't far from ctb considering cardiac arrest had a high chance of ctb.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and in such great details. This is really helpful!

You don't have to apologize for anything here. I hope you are doing well. I wish you all the best!

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Glad to see you are doing ok after your attempt and helped improve your mental state. That is the best outcome. I wish you all the best for your future. I hope peace comes to you in any form you decide. No need to be sorry for or apologise, you don't owe anyone here anything, what ever you decide is best for you, that is what you should do and you have all our support ā¤ļø

IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
ingested it with intent of dying
You had half a tablespoon and kept a charged device nearby. Sorry to sound rude but you absolutely did not have intent to CTB.

It could have been on the lower end of lethal dose, sure. Maybe. You planned everything else except the most important part. You still want to live homie, whether you know it or not. I almost want to clip your ears with my hand for the pain you caused yourself. Best of luck if you decide to live or if you try again.

http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
Thank you for your detailed report. I was shocked that you were assigned to a low category first. 120 minutes is far too long in an emergency. If you hadn't been able to explain how urgent it was, would they have just let you die?

Slight tremor and discomfort in arms and legs, though I now know this was actually due to the metoclopramide NOT the sodium nitrite
What exactly do you mean by "discomfort"? Did it persist or did it get worse (if you could distinguish it from the effects due to SN at all)? This is not the first time I have read about people not tolerating Meto (or even suffering long-term side effects).

Do you have any after-effects from SN or meto?

Reactions: Goku Black
P

protect101

Dec 28, 2022
Thank you for your detailed report. I was shocked that you were assigned to a low category first. 120 minutes is far too long in an emergency. If you hadn't been able to explain how urgent it was, would they have just let you die?

What exactly do you mean by "discomfort"? Did it persist or did it get worse (if you could distinguish it from the effects due to SN at all)? This is not the first time I have read about people not tolerating Meto (or even suffering long-term side effects).

Do you have any after-effects from SN or meto?
My understanding is that the pathways 999/NHS 111 go through to decide call prioritisation are symptom based. They don't automatically take into account a substance's toxicity. That's why the clinician had to manually change the categorisation to a higher priority - assumedly because of the reported low sats and how quickly the sats dropped/heavy breathing occurred.

However, if I reported 'difficulty breathing' /breathlessness at that early stage, it likely would've been given a category 2 response. But those weren't my symptoms at the time. I agree though, 120 mins is way too long for a SN overdose.

By discomfort, I suppose I mean that I felt quite weak generally. I was standing up for the initial period, so it was kind of a discomfort at being standing and yet so exhausted/weak? It persisted pretty much until I was lying down (ambulance stratecher/hospital bed) and then I didn't notice discomfort. I didn't have any long-term effects of meto no.

Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
By discomfort, I suppose I mean that I felt quite weak generally. I was standing up for the initial period, so it was kind of a discomfort at being standing and yet so exhausted/weak? It persisted pretty much until I was lying down (ambulance stratecher/hospital bed) and then I didn't notice discomfort. I didn't have any long-term effects of meto no.
Hmm, so weakness was felt more than anything else. It doesn't really sound bad considering everything else others have experienced. If you took approx 8g and still could've ctb then the full 25g that people take should be more than enough to ctb with

Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
But those weren't my symptoms at the time. I agree though, 120 mins is way too long for a SN overdose.
120min is enough time for you to have died honestly, imagine if you took a higher dose.

and my oxygen SATs were at a dangerous level just 25-30 minutes after taking it. Half a tablespoon is at least a couple of grams. A single gram has been reported to be fatal. Its likely I would've gone into cardiac/respiratory arrest without help, yes. Half a tablespoon is also a lot less than the 25g suggested on here
Your entire experience reinforces just how lethal SN can be, forget the fact that you didn't experience any of the variety of experiences that have put people off this method which is understandable since each to their own as to what they are comfortable with but you just took approximately 8g of it, not the full 25g which explains why it took longer for it to reach dangerous levels. This reminds of this thread honestly

Even if the intent wasn't the same, the similarities are there.

Last edited:
R

Readytogo246

Student
Jun 4, 2023
Wow! What an adventure for finding clarity. Thank you for sharing it with us and blessings in the coming days for evolving understanding

• Love
Reactions: protect101
h.s.p.

h.s.p.

Please tell mom this is not her fault
Dec 8, 2023
Just a quick reminder: cold temperatures slow down metabolism, so the absorption of the substance by the body takes longer.
This may not be the case, but I saw an interview of a young girl who took a massive overdose of something like 11 different meds and survived because, apparently, the cold temperature slowed down her metabolism enough to keep her alive until she was found. She was hospitalized for quite some time and she said it was a very close call.

@protect101 , I'm glad you're giving recovery a chance. If you still have some SN with you, think of it as a comfort blanket. Many of us - including myself - feel relieved when they know they have a way out in case the situation becomes unbearable. Best wishes

A

anonymous61416

Feb 3, 2024
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that it got so bad, and I hope that you find your life is worth living and don't again feel that you have to CTB. That is, afterall, the mantra when one has BPD: "build a life worth living". It sounds like you have some ideas somewhere in there about how to do that.

It sounds like the most unpleasant bit physically was the nausea, then? Is that an accurate characterization? There wasn't excruciating pain at any point?

Again, happy you decided to live.

C

conflagration

Student
Jul 29, 2022
Thanks for sharing. Before getting medical care - was the experience painful?

Last edited:
Thisisme373

Thisisme373

Specialist
Feb 16, 2019
Did you take the SN mixed with water? As you was in a park did you have it already mixed beforehand or?
Sounds like it wasn't too bad considering you didn't have benzos.

DesperateOne

DesperateOne

Experienced
May 25, 2023
Helloooo, I'm sharing my story of ingesting SN in the hopes the information is useful to some people. I've requested copies of my medical and ambulance records which is why I'm able to be so detailed, alongside memory recall of the day and very brief notes I wrote at the time/shortly afterwards.

Context
I ordered 50g sodium nitrite via the Canadian IC source (no longer exists) and received the parcel on the same day I ingested it. I was constantly experiencing suicidal thoughts in the lead-up to this and ingested it with intent of dying. However, within minutes of taking SN I decided I guess I got cold feet and in the moment was reminded of (admittedly very few) connections to life/reasons to keep living; so left it up to fate in a way, by self-rescuing. This was about 6 months ago. I was about 95kg and 175cm.

Pre-ingestion of SN
I fasted by not eating in the afternoon/evening on that day (upwards of 10 hours fasting).
I travelled to a quiet field next to a park (there were no people around in the area I was)
I took 1500mg paracetamol 1hr before ingestion.
I took 30mg metoclopramide 45mins before ingestion.
I ingested 1/2 a tablespoon of sodium nitrite (not accurately measured, so unsure how many g this was) at 22:35.

Slight tremor and discomfort in arms and legs, though I now know this was actually due to the metoclopramide NOT the sodium nitrite (I experienced this symptoms later, taking the same dose of metoclopramide, I do not have this symptoms when taking prochlorperazine). It was really tiring to remain standing in the minutes leading up to and after ingestion and I felt droswy. My breathing became a little bit heavier, but was not uncomfortable or painful. I was very reflective in this couple of minutes, thinking about reasons for dying and connection to life, and it was sort of like a 'quickplay' of memories and moments in my life - I put this down to researching SN and knowing how fatal the substance is.

22:47 Call to NHS 111
At this point, I 'self-rescued' by reaching out for medical help. Honestly I'm not sure why. But right now I think I'm glad I did (though I have BPD/EUPD so it fluctuates... a lot). I was allocated an emergency ambulance response for risk of suicide (category 3). A category 3 call has a target response time of 120 minutes. The call was passed from NHS 111 to 999 at 22:53. I had a pulse oximiter with me at the time, and between 22:53 and 23:03, my o2 sat reached 85%. I remember telling the NHS 111 health advisor this, and that is what triggered an upgrade to category 2 (target response time of 18 minutes). The NHS 111 team also contacted police too, to ask for them to respond too.

23:03 Crew dispatched
The ambulance crew were dispatched at 23:03 and were mobile at 23:04. The NHS 111 health advisor remained on the phone with me, however I did not say much as I began to feel nauseous and continued to feel tired standing and slightly droswy (remained GCS 15 & alert).

23:25 Ambulance arrived
Police and ambulance crew (paramedic, paramedic student and a technician) arrived at about the same time, however police were not needed as I walked to the ambulance once asked to. They found me sat on a bench. Their assessment noted that my airway was clear with equal entry, however my respiratory rate was 34/min and I appeared cyanosed (blue). It was a cold night, so I also appeared hypothermic and was shivering. I was given oxygen at a rate of 15L/min through a non-rebreather mask however this did not improve my oxygen sats much.

23:40 Vital Signs/NEWS2
Pupils equal and reactive, both 8mm
AVPU: Alert
Capillary refill: 3 secs
Resp rate: 22
Pulse: 170 BPM
SpO2: 81 on room air
SpO2: 85 on oxygen
BP: 153/71
Glucose: 8.8
Temp: 35 degrees
NEW2 Score: 11

23:45 Activated Charcoal
I was given activated charcoal and had 1/2 of the bottle/dose (25g of 50g). I'm unsure if this had any effect on the poisoning, but doctors appeared pleased I was given it by the crew. At this point, in terms of symptoms, they remained the same as before, tiredness with heavy/fast breathing but no pain. I had an ECG taken and was also warmed with heated blankets. I was cannulated by the crew.

23:58 Left scene
The ambulance left scene on route to hospital.

00:02 Pre-alert to emergency department
Due to my NEWS2 score (meaning high clinical risk / emergency response threshold for assessment by a team with critical care competencies) the ambulance crew informed the hospital they were on route, providing an an ATMIST handover.

00:22 Vital Signs/NEWS2
Resp rate: 26
Pulse: 137
SpO2: 87%
BP: 121/94
Temp: 35.6 degrees
NEWS2 Score: 12

00:25 Arrived at hospital
Taken to the resus bay and seen by the team (registrar & 2 nurses) who were awaiting due to the pre-alert. Whilst in the emergency department, my SpO2 reached 63% (I'm not sure how this was so different to the ambulance SpO2 - I assume progression of the sodium nitrite absorption?). I was given oxygen through both a nasal cannula and a NBR simulatenously. The doctors discussed with Toxbase/NPIS and also made a referral to critical care who came down to the emergency department to support with treatment. The notes record that I was cold, experiencing peripheral shutdown, was shivering, sweaty, had a slate grey appearance, had profound central and periphoral cyanosis and was nauseated. Experienced palpitations.

Baseline observations in hospital:
Resp rate: 24
SpO2: 69%
Pulse: 154
BP: 147/69
Temp: 36.3 degrees
Glucose: 7.6
ECG: Sinus tachycardia
NEWS2 Score: 11

00:38 Venus Blood Gas
pH: 7.38
O2Hb: 28%
MetHB: 45.8%
Lact: 2.8

00:40 Methylene blue
I was given my first dose of methylene blue at this time which was 2mg/kg. I vomited a number of times after receiving this dose. There was little to no improvement in my vitals/overall condition, and I became aware that the doctors had ordered blood to be on standby for exchange transfusion (which is another treatment method for SN overdose, by transusing blood to increase oxygen carrying capability of red blood cells). The critical care doctor put in an arterial line to monitor my blood pressure and allow for the nurses to take repeated ABGs later on.

Another methylene blue dose
I was given a second methylene blue dose again 2mg/kg (4mg/kg total). Again, vomited and was nauseous. I had blue ink all over my arm where the nurse had accidently let some leak whilst attaching it to the IV. NEWS2 score at 01:00 was 9.

01:10 Post-methelyene blue blood gas
pH: 7.34
O2Hb: 72%
MetHb: 10.8%
Lact: 2.0

It was about this point, after both doses, that I was starting to feel a little less unwell/nauseated and felt my breathing was a little better. I think the doctors/nurses began tiltrating me off of additional O2 after this, as my O2 sats improved:

O2 sats:
00:35 - 83%
00:45 - 82%
01:00 - 69%
01:15 - 77%
01:30 - 98%

02:00 Handed over to ICU
I was admitted to ICU and received 1:1 nursing care (hourly blood gasses and contiuous vitals monitoring). I felt pretty much back to normal except for heart rate spikes when I changed my posture or sat up in the bed, which caused the monitor to beep lots. NEWS2 score was 6. Otherwise, my time in the ICU was pretty much uneventful. However, my potassium levels did drop quite low so I required oral supplements followed by IV replacement of K.

14:00 Mental Health Liaison
Seen by mental health liaison who referred me to the crisis team lol.

15:00 ICU Research Nurse
Seen by one of the ICU research nurses who offered for me to take part in research about the chemical I took, have it tested, and to explore how I got the chemical. Refused consent for the study.

20:30 Stepped down to ward
Again, pretty much back to normal physically. No symptoms continued. Urine was blue/green discoloured because of the antidote.

09:30 Ward round
Told by ward consultant that sodium nitrite has a short half-life so was pretty much all out of my system now. NEWS2 score 0.

11:30 Discharged
Discharged home. Discoloured urine from antidote continued for at least another 48 hours I believe. Seen by mental health crisis team that evening.

So yeah... that's the story. I know others have reached very high MetHB levels upwards of 70%, however this absolutely highlights how fatal and effective sodium nitrite is. If I was to CTB with SN, I'd use prochlorperazine as I have a number of side effects of metoclopramide - so keep that in mind folks. Be sure you're not allergic/have lots of side effects to the antiemetics.

I'm open to questions if you have any, and sorry for failing to follow the correct procedure by self-rescuing..
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have to say, god damn... it takes a long time for SN to kick in and put one unconscious! It seems like you have to wait 30 min at least for it to knock you out. My SI would've kicked in the moment I felt something wasn't right which just reaffirms that this is not the method for me. Again, thanks for the valuable info.

Reactions: Chronicoverwhelm
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
it takes a long time for SN to kick in and put one unconscious! It seems like you have to wait 30 min at least for it to knock you out.
That's down to the fact that OP took around 1/2 tablespoon of SN which isn't anywhere close to 25g, the onset symptoms are faster when an even larger dose is taken. For it to knock you out, you either need benzos to sedate you or take the recommended amount so that the symptoms have a faster onset and unconsciousness is reached even faster, I know that doesn't always work but there's a reason to stick to the regimen since it's worked a fair few times. Better to give it a chance to work by following things along quite well enough.

M

Mi Mi

No One Special
Mar 18, 2024
Thanks for not participating in the "study" (intell gathering) and fucking it up for others.

What you described is why this would not be my method of choice. Too much time for panic/regret/calling for help.
I hate to admit it but you said exactly what I was thinking šŸ˜”