D

divaangel

Mar 16, 2019
I'm not sure what to make of this as his metha (not even going to try to spell that) was measured at 2% but that wasn't done done until well past 24 hours. The body begins to convert metha back to hemoglobin very quickly so it could be that most had been converted back by the time it was tested. My only guess was that the dose he took was low or he was exceptionally resiliant in this conversion.

Reactions: venom.52, Cookiedough8956 and Walilamdzi
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
He did not take an acid reducer like tagamet, that is an essential step in the PPH.

Reactions: Cookiedough8956
O

OfficerK

Experienced
May 6, 2018
The article doesn't contain enough information to determine why he failed.

He did not take an acid reducer like tagamet, that is an essential step in the PPH.
Where does it say this?

Reactions: venom.52 and Cookiedough8956
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
The article doesn't contain enough information to determine why he failed.

Where does it say this?

The part where it says "medications upon admission".

Reactions: Cookiedough8956 and OfficerK
O

OfficerK

Experienced
May 6, 2018
I assumed it was drugs administered by medical staff since I'm not familiar with the drugs listed, but you're right.

Reactions: Cookiedough8956
B

Bentham

Feb 21, 2019
the term "nocte", which means every night, is used in "medications on admission", and so I think the listed medicines and dosages in the part just refer to those prescribed for his "past medical history" and do not mean the substances that he actually took at the time, and for the purpose, of his suicide attempt.
I agree with OfficerK on the conclusion that the article doesn't contain enough information on his failure: dosage of SN, with or without vomiting, anti-emetics, acid-reducers etc... However, the amount of his SN absorption seems to have been potent enough to cause a profound and long-lasting tissue hypoxia and consequent acute kidney injury.

Reactions: Deleted member 1768, venom.52 and Cookiedough8956
O

OfficerK

Experienced
May 6, 2018
the term "nocte", which means every night, is used in "medications on admission", and so I think the listed medicines and dosages in the part just refer to those prescribed for his "past medical history" and do not mean the substances that he actually took at the time, and for the purpose, of his suicide attempt.
I agree with OfficerK on the conclusion that the article doesn't contain enough information on his failure: dosage of SN, with or without vomiting, anti-emetics, acid-reducers etc... However, the amount of his SN absorption seems to have been potent enough to cause a profound and long-lasting tissue hypoxia and consequent acute kidney injury.
They would probably find anti-emetics and acid reducers on the scene if he used them, though, and it would make more sense if all relevant drugs were listed. The reason why they're informing about what drugs he had been on prior to the incident is that they could have had an impact on his condition and recovery, and the aforementioned drugs do just that, as we all know.

He could perhaps have hidden the drugs from the EMTs for possible future attempts (can meto/ranitidine/tagamet be detected through tests somehow?). The list above only tells us what drugs they knew he had taken.

Reactions: gingerplum
C

Cookiedough8956

Wowzers
Feb 24, 2019
Idek how to feel about these articles. One side is like im happy to know what happens if we dont succeed and what they did to fail
On the other hand im feeling less secure :(
Esp with this article- since its confusing and we don't even know the specifics of it.
I just want a quick passing!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, venom.52 and Salvacion
Can'tStandAnymore

Can'tStandAnymore

Custom title
Mar 16, 2019
There is really no need worry about reliability of SN imo. The paper above hadn't mentioned any of the meds which are generally suggested and how much SN did thr guy take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1768, throwaway777 and venom.52
Jumper

Jumper

Student
Jun 18, 2019
We have no way of knowing what percent of people will die of SN at the recommended dose/protocol. There are only a handful of cases... it's not statistically accurate. We need more info on this method.