• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Alpha_Draco_Pegasus

Alpha_Draco_Pegasus

Jun 16, 2019
This is something that has angered me for quite a while and I've been wanting to get around to expressing my thoughts, feelings and insights about this without being irrational or melodramatic.

In school, rehab, and society in general, the attitude at large of suicide is, Do not keep suicidal thoughts a secret. Report someone if they are showing signs of suicidality. Get them help because something is wrong with them if they don't want to live. Suicide just isn't an option. And people feel obligated to report somebody who they know is suicidal because if you don't, and the suicidal person kills himself; if associates of this person find out that you knew, they could prosecute you for assisting in the person's suicide, I THINK, or so I fear. So that way it's like you have to report them or else you could go to jail.

I openly expressed my desire to commit suicide when I was in drug-addiction rehab 3 years ago. My roommate later said to me, "Just think of how badly that would hurt your mother and father. It would ruin their lives. Committing suicide is selfish." Now I agree that it would ruin my parents' lives as they love me so very dearly. People would be crushed and devastated. I get that. But then there are some people who actually react with anger and resentment upon the person who committed suicide. The reaction would be more like, "Man, I'm so pissed off that you killed yourself! We were such good friends, and now I have to live the rest of my life without my best friend... thanks a lot, asshole! You made a horrible decision by killing yourself! Now everybody hates you and cries every day!" My psychology teacher said something like that. And they all have to be pro-lifers, by law I guess. That's why I can't see a psychologist in private practice or a therapist because I can not fully discuss suicide without threat of persecution. I've been hospitalized and stripped completely of my freedom more than once just for explaining how I wanted to commit suicide and would do so given the right opportunity. So much for "honesty being the best policy" ...I'll never make that mistake again. Certain information, in general is just better off not to be put in the wrong hands. And there most definitely are a lot of filthy hands feeling around out there...

I wanted to just divert onto another tangent for a second and bring up the whole 'calling the suicide hotline when you feel like committing suicide'. Also, if you express the intent to commit suicide to a therapist or doctor and they ask, "Do you have a plan?" If you say "yes" then they must take action and stop you, but my thoughts on these two situations is, that it's just paradoxical. You don't want to kill yourself if you call the suicide hotline. If you did, you wouldn't be trying to stop yourself by calling someone to talk you out of it. If you tell your doctor that you have a plan to commit suicide and you know he will stop you, then you know your plan is foiled because you have foiled your own plan, which was actually your plan. I mean, whatever, I guess I get it; some people just really aren't sure yet if they want to commit suicide, maybe they are scared by it, and so they want to reach out to see if somebody can intervene and give them hope. That isn't a true suicidalist, that is just someone who dips their toe into the cold pool and hopes that there might be a way to avoid falling in. I did that once, I let the happy people pull me away from the pool. But soon after we started walking away, their arms around me protectively, I turned around to see the pool getting farther and farther away, now wishing I could break out of their arms, run back and jump into the pool. But they were all like "gotcha!" and I had to play around in their little trap for a while.

Hope you followed along with that metaphor. Hope it was a good metaphor. I don't know, I tried.

Anyway, back to the selfishness. Obviously, my life comes first. After all, I'm the one who's living it. Why would I stick around just to make other people happy while I myself am suffering, or rather, for me, am at the point where I know that suicide is actually in my best interest? I have experienced enough of life and in foresight have come to what I confidently consider to be the realistic realization that suicide will satisfy me best. This isn't just an impulse desperation for me to escape. This is a plan, just as someone would plan or aim towards a certain career or degree. I'm following my path, my dream. But I can never tell anyone.

I want to see this through their eyes, through the eyes of a pro-lifer who takes the "selfishness" approach as I've described. I'm tired of having my own way of thinking about it.

Now having decided that this is ultimately what I want to do, I have to be even more obstructed in my interactions with others, which causes some resentment for me in that more of what I say can lead to suspicion. For example, when talking casually about what career I aim for, I just have to make something up. I have to make up all these aspirations, misleading everyone and basically describing my life as a lie. Well, I'm learning how to best approach that constructively anyway. I do not want to despise the pro-lifers, it's just that they are really interfering with my sense of autonomy a bit, I think. I'm thinking, I'm trying, to see things through my mother's eyes, but I don't even know if that's really possible. I have this intuition that I know exactly what I want and what is best for me. And it sure ain't no god damn life up in this bitch.

I always start these posts when I'm in a bit of a rush and don't allow myself a lot of time... I promise my thoughts are more mature than this though! I was just so eager to put something out there! I'm working on all of this. But basically, this is my opinion for now! Just wanted to vent it somewhere for starters! Okay gotta run! BBL HOMIES!!!

• Hugs
Reactions: Intelligent Ape, Rn110bg101, Loli and 9 others
T

TimeToDie

Mage
Jun 13, 2019
Everything people do is selfish, so suicide is hardly unique. Show me any human activity and I will find a selfish motive.

Yes, your death (be it suicide or accident or old age) will likely harm somebody unless you are entirely alone. That still doesn't justify unlimited suffering to satisfy others who don't want to lose you.

• Love
Reactions: Funkbunny, Orin, StillWaiting and 4 others
Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
Everything people do is selfish, so suicide is hardly unique. Show me any human activity and I will find a selfish motive.
Glad i'm not the only one to think that.

Reactions: andy69
ZixivaldYrxes

ZixivaldYrxes

Archduke Demoness Villaintropic
Apr 3, 2019
I think the idea that you're meant to serve a function in other peoples' lives and be ruled by their conception of what that function is is what is truly selfish. Anyone who forms a bond with anyone else should do so with the implicit understanding that that person, as an autonomous entity, might get themselves killed either purposefully or accidentally, and that that bond can break in any number of ways at any time, and that mutual consent is a prerequisite for friendship. Friendships are not contractual, there is no reason to presume that because a relationship exists one way, that it ought to in perpetuity. You are not responsible for what other people believe the role you play should be, that's entirely in their head. But it's like they mistake this conception for absolute reality and believe that you only exist in relation to them and the role they've given you, which is an extremely selfish way of thinking.

I think the only situation where suicide is truly selfish is when you either do make a contract of some kind with someone, and use suicide as a means to break that contract (assuming that it's a fair contract- and no, marriage doesn't count, it's til death do us part after all), or when you have children or other dependents that you willfully took on. On the other hand, I don't understand parents who are angered by their children committing suicide. If you're psychopathic enough that you were waiting for a "return on your investment" that no one asked you to make but you, then you really shouldn't have had kids. Not that children shouldn't be grateful for the sacrifices that their parents make- I wouldn't know but parenting can't be easy. However, parenting is a one-sided contract that the parent makes with the child but the child does not make with the parent (because children obviously can't consent to birth before being born), and as a result the child explicitly owes the parent nothing, including fulfilling their expectations, but is probably better off acknowledging the parent's sacrifices regardless of whether or not they were asked for. This is actually a pretty good example of what I was saying because such a parent has a predefined expectation for what is going to happen or should happen after having children and expects you to conform to that role, and will often condition you from an early age to do so, without respect for the fact that you are more than simply an element in their lives.

It's like the only people who call others selfish are people who are selfish themselves, because the usual motive is to accuse them of depriving you of your own personal resources (a selfish motive). I hate that word lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rn110bg101, seekingoblivion, Brainpain and 3 others
K

keara

Jul 4, 2019
Pro-lifers' only concern is to stop people from killing themselves but after that they don't give a fuck. You could end up a vegetable for the rest of your life and they would still feel proud of themselves because they "saved" you. People in general don't care about your life or your feelings, they just want to feel good about themselves and to be praised by others. The truth is that they don't want to feel guilty and think that they "could have done something" to stop you. They're actually the selfish ones.

Reactions: Rn110bg101, Going Home, ybredybred and 4 others
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019
Another issue with called being selfish or cowardly because of suicide that bothers me: If I am depressed, in complete despair, experienced a traumatic event, or find no hope or pleasure in life, I am suppose to get over it and learn to be happy. It's all up to me. But if I die by suicide, everyone else will be ruined forever. Why can't they get over it.

Reactions: Rn110bg101, Going Home, ybredybred and 1 other person
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
I don't react to such people anymore. It's pointless. I walk away, or even better don't even bring it up with anyone I am not positive gets it or has true empathy. In the past I would try to make people understand and point out the hypocrisy. It never, EVER changed anyone's mind.

Think of it this way. What will it matter if you can get them to agree with you anyway? Will it make your life more survivable? Do you imagine they will somehow participate and hold your hand while you go? This is a thing we blow up in our minds as something that matters...and it doesn't. People believe what they choose to in order to feel right and safe. Arguing just saps your energy and won't ultimately solve anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rn110bg101, Going Home, StillWaiting and 2 others

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
This isn't just an impulse desperation for me to escape. This is a plan, just as someone would plan or aim towards a certain career or degree. I'm following my path, my dream. But I can never tell anyone.

I do not want to despise the pro-lifers, it's just that they are really interfering with my sense of autonomy a bit, I think.

I have this intuition that I know exactly what I want and what is best for me.

My thoughts exactly.

If Life cultists will so eagerly try to disrupt my plans, fine, go right ahead. But I will try my best to get what I want. Its my life goal, after all.

Reactions: Going Home, keara and andy69
J

Juggernaut

Jun 1, 2019
Yes that is extremely irritating, guilt a person into sticking around. The "cowards way out" is even more annoying because the ones who say this tend to be the ones who are scared of death

Reactions: Rn110bg101, Going Home, keara and 1 other person
riverstyx

riverstyx

Experienced
May 31, 2019
Saying that suicide is selfish seems like guilt tripping the person that's suicidal.

If you've reached the point where being dead is better than living, I would first of all feel empathy towards that person. Guilt tripping them is just adding to the burden they're already carrying.

Reactions: Rn110bg101, ybredybred, keara and 1 other person
Ladylethal

Ladylethal

Jun 16, 2019
Uh wait...can you really be prosecuted for knowing that someone was suicidal? Why?!

Alpha_Draco_Pegasus

Alpha_Draco_Pegasus

Jun 16, 2019
Uh wait...can you really be prosecuted for knowing that someone was suicidal? Why?!
I don't know for sure. I haven't bothered to look it up. But I'm paranoid enough to assume the worst.

Yes that is extremely irritating, guilt a person into sticking around. The "cowards way out" is even more annoying because the ones who say this tend to be the ones who are scared of death

Yes, I forgot about the "coward's way out" opinion. So what are you supposed to do, endure a life of suffering (the "hard way") or cut it short and end it (the quicker "easy way")? Isn't life all about trying to make things easier; to make things more convenient and efficient? Why would anyone choose for something to be more difficult than it needs to be? Besides, survival instinct is something that's hard to consciously override. Suicide takes guts. Try to think of one suicide method that is easy and painless. Maybe a shotgun... but that's not a viable option for everybody, depending on the law, but still, it's a big gun that will blow off your head. What kind of coward wants to do that?

Reactions: Ladylethal
Mort

Mort

No use to know one
Feb 15, 2019
My self would tell them to get fuck its my life and i will do what the hell with it . When i am dead i ant bother what they say then :)

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
This is something that has angered me for quite a while and I've been wanting to get around to expressing my thoughts, feelings and insights about this without being irrational or melodramatic.

In school, rehab, and society in general, the attitude at large of suicide is, Do not keep suicidal thoughts a secret. Report someone if they are showing signs of suicidality. Get them help because something is wrong with them if they don't want to live. Suicide just isn't an option. And people feel obligated to report somebody who they know is suicidal because if you don't, and the suicidal person kills himself; if associates of this person find out that you knew, they could prosecute you for assisting in the person's suicide, I THINK, or so I fear. So that way it's like you have to report them or else you could go to jail.

I openly expressed my desire to commit suicide when I was in drug-addiction rehab 3 years ago. My roommate later said to me, "Just think of how badly that would hurt your mother and father. It would ruin their lives. Committing suicide is selfish." Now I agree that it would ruin my parents' lives as they love me so very dearly. People would be crushed and devastated. I get that. But then there are some people who actually react with anger and resentment upon the person who committed suicide. The reaction would be more like, "Man, I'm so pissed off that you killed yourself! We were such good friends, and now I have to live the rest of my life without my best friend... thanks a lot, asshole! You made a horrible decision by killing yourself! Now everybody hates you and cries every day!" My psychology teacher said something like that. And they all have to be pro-lifers, by law I guess. That's why I can't see a psychologist in private practice or a therapist because I can not fully discuss suicide without threat of persecution. I've been hospitalized and stripped completely of my freedom more than once just for explaining how I wanted to commit suicide and would do so given the right opportunity. So much for "honesty being the best policy" ...I'll never make that mistake again. Certain information, in general is just better off not to be put in the wrong hands. And there most definitely are a lot of filthy hands feeling around out there...

I wanted to just divert onto another tangent for a second and bring up the whole 'calling the suicide hotline when you feel like committing suicide'. Also, if you express the intent to commit suicide to a therapist or doctor and they ask, "Do you have a plan?" If you say "yes" then they must take action and stop you, but my thoughts on these two situations is, that it's just paradoxical. You don't want to kill yourself if you call the suicide hotline. If you did, you wouldn't be trying to stop yourself by calling someone to talk you out of it. If you tell your doctor that you have a plan to commit suicide and you know he will stop you, then you know your plan is foiled because you have foiled your own plan, which was actually your plan. I mean, whatever, I guess I get it; some people just really aren't sure yet if they want to commit suicide, maybe they are scared by it, and so they want to reach out to see if somebody can intervene and give them hope. That isn't a true suicidalist, that is just someone who dips their toe into the cold pool and hopes that there might be a way to avoid falling in. I did that once, I let the happy people pull me away from the pool. But soon after we started walking away, their arms around me protectively, I turned around to see the pool getting farther and farther away, now wishing I could break out of their arms, run back and jump into the pool. But they were all like "gotcha!" and I had to play around in their little trap for a while.

Hope you followed along with that metaphor. Hope it was a good metaphor. I don't know, I tried.

Anyway, back to the selfishness. Obviously, my life comes first. After all, I'm the one who's living it. Why would I stick around just to make other people happy while I myself am suffering, or rather, for me, am at the point where I know that suicide is actually in my best interest? I have experienced enough of life and in foresight have come to what I confidently consider to be the realistic realization that suicide will satisfy me best. This isn't just an impulse desperation for me to escape. This is a plan, just as someone would plan or aim towards a certain career or degree. I'm following my path, my dream. But I can never tell anyone.

I want to see this through their eyes, through the eyes of a pro-lifer who takes the "selfishness" approach as I've described. I'm tired of having my own way of thinking about it.

Now having decided that this is ultimately what I want to do, I have to be even more obstructed in my interactions with others, which causes some resentment for me in that more of what I say can lead to suspicion. For example, when talking casually about what career I aim for, I just have to make something up. I have to make up all these aspirations, misleading everyone and basically describing my life as a lie. Well, I'm learning how to best approach that constructively anyway. I do not want to despise the pro-lifers, it's just that they are really interfering with my sense of autonomy a bit, I think. I'm thinking, I'm trying, to see things through my mother's eyes, but I don't even know if that's really possible. I have this intuition that I know exactly what I want and what is best for me. And it sure ain't no god damn life up in this bitch.

I always start these posts when I'm in a bit of a rush and don't allow myself a lot of time... I promise my thoughts are more mature than this though! I was just so eager to put something out there! I'm working on all of this. But basically, this is my opinion for now! Just wanted to vent it somewhere for starters! Okay gotta run! BBL HOMIES!!!
I was having a discussion with one of my bestfriends about some celebrities dieing recently, and somehow suicide was brought up and he called those who commit suicide without a traumatic past as "weak minded" and selfish. I literally didnt even know what to say or how to feel.

Reactions: Ladylethal
Now_And_Then

Now_And_Then

If I am no good , then let me out
Jun 30, 2019
I was having a discussion with one of my bestfriends about some celebrities dieing recently, and somehow suicide was brought up and he called those who commit suicide without a traumatic past as "weak minded" and selfish. I literally didnt even know what to say or how to feel.

Who is he to say that a suicidal person with out a traumatic past is weak minded and selfish ? How does he know ? People get driven to suicide by all manners of things

It could be a physical ill ness or even a un-bearable mental ill ness . It could be an event that you can't get your head around and it is so pain ful

Not every one is strong enough for every single little thing

I know he is your friend , but that is an ignorant thing he said

• Hugs
Reactions: Ladylethal and pole