B

BrokenLine

Experienced
Jul 13, 2019
Lets say you got a pill everybody when did when they become a teen you die 5 seconds after taking it, my questions

1) Would having that option make people try more before taking it because they have that choice or would more people die.

2) Does not having that option turn wanting to CTB and seeking a way a stronger desire.

Since with 1) there would always be a sense of freedom. With 2) there's more a feeling of being trapped a lack of choice.
Hope this makes a bit of sense.

(Edited) Maybe a pointless post but it made me think.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner and Kill Bill
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
1) Hard to say, I expect some would use it asap while for others it would cause them to stick around for a little longer than they may otherwise have. I think I would personally just take it asap if I had it, but you never know.

2) For some it does, others maybe not. For me the lack of such a peaceful option definitely makes me want to ctb with greater urgency, as I feel trapped like a prisoner in life.

Reactions: BrokenLine
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
To be ethical I feel you'd have to activate this magic pill and wait x amount of days to make sure you're not just doing it out of impulse and truly want to CTB prior to receiving it.

For example I've been certain of my desire for months now, it's not something out of the blue.

Reactions: everydayiloveyou, Living_Hurts_so_Much and BrokenLine
B

BrokenLine

Experienced
Jul 13, 2019
To be ethical I feel you'd have to activate this magic pill and wait x amount of days to make sure you're not just doing it out of impulse and truly want to CTB prior to receiving it.

For example I've been certain of my desire for months now, it's not something out of the blue.
I was thinking something like that, they to must understand and want it for it to be effective but would people use it as quickly if you only got one. You may believe you understand and not then its gone. but decided not to add that because it would but things closer to number 2)
What I was more asking is if knowing you have that option wouldn't that be psychologically better than not having it. People would most likely talk about it and also be listened to more wouldn't they? People I hope would be cared about more so would the world be better more compassionate in 1) than 2) or worse.
1) Hard to say, I expect some would use it asap while for others it would cause them to stick around for a little longer than they may otherwise have. I think I would personally just take it asap if I had it, but you never know.

2) For some it does, others maybe not. For me the lack of such a peaceful option definitely makes me want to ctb with greater urgency, as I feel trapped like a prisoner in life.
Thanks, I do agree with you. I just wonder how society and how different people might be if they knew how easy they could harm someone. Would people be the same arseholes. How would society be changed over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Living_Hurts_so_Much
L

Living_Hurts_so_Much

Experienced
Jul 30, 2020
Very interesting contemplation. I don't know that I would take the pill immediately, but it would give me a great deal of comfort just knowing that it was there if I chose to use it.

• Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Lets say you got a pill everybody when did when they become a teen you die 5 seconds after taking it, my questions

1) Would having that option make people try more before taking it because they have that choice or would more people die.

2) Does not having that option turn wanting to CTB and seeking a way a stronger desire.
I know this is not the response you're after, but I think this would make an interesting novel and/or movie. ^_^

E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
I don't think it'd be a good idea to give teenagers this option. Lots of teenagers feel depressed/suicidal because that stage in life is just a stressful time. And in general teenagers are very bad at looking towards the future and thinking critically about things like this. It's not right to give a child the authority to make such a permanent decision when they haven't even experienced life yet.

I think maybe 30 is a good age. By that time, any really debilitating, chronic mental illnesses would have developed already (e.g. personality disorders, schizophrenia, bipolar) and usually by that age you've already tried college and the workforce and all that other stuff, so you can rule out situational depression at least.

There should also be some sort of waiting period to safeguard against impulsive decisions of course. But considering that all those precautions are in place, I don't think having the option would change much. The people who would usually pick high-failure methods like overdose or wrist slitting, would instead ctb on their first try. But anyone who has hope will have hope either way, and the people who want to do this will seek out information and carry out a plan regardless.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Okay, so a serious response now. I agree that as a teenager would be too young. @everydayiloveyou 's suggestion of 30 seems good to me. As to your questions...

1) I think more people would die, because I believe we are impulsive when emotional. I think people would plan to live as much life as possible, but then in one night when they feel really low, they'd take it. I would've died at 19. Also, think of the black market that would form around this — people selling their pills to criminals who use them to kill/assassinate others. Human nature would find a completely negative use for this.

2) Definitely, at least for those of us on SS.

Reactions: BrokenLine and everydayiloveyou