Status
Not open for further replies.
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
Please refrain from invalidating the experiences and suffering of the OP. We can dislike the post without claiming that OP doesn't know what suffering is. As much as I hate rhetoric like this, I have seen people who've gone through some horrific things in life say a lot of stuff like this. The OP obviously has good intentions, I just don't think they realize this type of stuff is considered to be of poor taste here.
Totally agree & very well said. Some people on the thread are being too rude to op.

• Love
Reactions: ladylazarus4 and EvisceratedJester
P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
ach no thanks. I understand that suffering is necessary to grow and I appreciate suffering to some degree but you can't say that about the trauma that people have endured here. Innocent children being raped is not character growth. People being verbally, emotionally, or physically abused is not character growth. Unendurable chronic illnesses are not character growth.
And for me personally- I'm not angry at life. I don't think life, for me, is horrible all the time (it's not). I am incurable and will never be able to change. I hurt myself and I hurt others. There's no point in my being alive any longer.

edit: I also don't believe in god. I recognize science, nature, and entropic randomness. (I don't believe in it; you don't believe in facts. They are true wether or not you'd like them to be)
You make an excellent point with this post, I do apologize for forgetting about how traumatizing these horrors can be. It was a huge error. I'm very new to the forum and am genuinely trying to be helpful, but I respect the criticism that I'm getting for this thread. I have a lot of relatives who are pastors, so I get a little carried away sometimes. I also do respect others' beliefs and opinions no matter what they are, and agree that organized religion has more than it's fair share of problems.

• Hmph!
  • Love
Reactions: SmallKoy, ladylazarus4, Plato'sCaveDweller and 2 others
mint

mint

Jan 11, 2023
I want to believe some of the things you're saying. Sometimes there's even a glimmer of something like hope in my life, but it gets taken away so quickly. And then I wonder if it was ever there at all, or just a trick of the light.

But I don't think god loves me very much if he won't even talk to me.

Reactions: ladylazarus4
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I stopped reading because of the large font
But without the large font, how are you going to understand that this message is very, very important? Hmmm?

• Yay!
Reactions: ladylazarus4, Just_Another_Person and Plato'sCaveDweller
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Adrenaline junkie
May 9, 2024
But without the large font, how are you going to understand that this message is very, very important? Hmmm?
if it needs large font then it's not important enough

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: hopelesswanderer, sunnysidedown, Just_Another_Person and 1 other person
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
You make an excellent point with this post, I do apologize for forgetting about how traumatizing these horrors can be. It was a huge error. I'm very new to the forum and am genuinely trying to be helpful, but I respect the criticism that I'm getting for this thread. I have a lot of relatives who are pastors, so I get a little carried away sometimes. I also do respect others' beliefs and opinions no matter what they are, and agree that organized religion has more than it's fair share of problems.
I think if you are attempting to help people you would find you would be more well received in the recovery section. This sort of post would still not be well received there, but a toned down approach in which you are there to listen and understand people and help them through without a bunch of overused platitudes would be more suited for the recovery section. Most people in the suicide forum are not looking for this.

Reactions: Buffy, Nothing87, ladylazarus4 and 4 others
P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
I do appreciate the kind words, but I have some questions. I'm confused why people like to say that we are all loved. By whom? There are many people in this world that are deserving of love, but never receive any due to abuse or shitty situations. Netizens say this a lot, and I really don't understand...
I agree that a lot of people get ripped off in this area, ie really nice people who are constantly abused, but my understanding is that God loves everyone, no matter what. So regardless of whether or not a person is loved by other people, they are always loved by God.

T

Trav1989

Student
Jun 2, 2024
I realize that being positive and optimistic in life is often frowned upon in this forum, but it's absolutely true that we are ALL unique, precious, and loved in this world. It rarely feels this way when we're in intense pain, but it is the reality.

Why worry about losing a particular snowflake when there is a snowstorm with thousands of others coming down every second?

Like you, I am suffering intolerably and really struggle with thoughts of wanting to end this pain once and for all. But then I think about how amazing my life has been for many years, and how there is still a good chance for many more great years to come.

Like you I am suffering intolerably but unlike you I don't struggle with thoughts of ending things as my life has been a mockery in and of itself in regards to the word life itself for years.

If I choose to CTB then that's it, it's game over. No chance of having any more amazing experiences on Earth. I know exactly what you're thinking, no chance of any more pain either. The thing is, pain comes & goes, it's not all the time, for ANYBODY! It's a roller coaster ride, and it's like that for every person to one degree or another.

I
've had both good and bad experiences but the bad heavily outnumbers the good and such isn't just an idle thought relegated to my perception, such is quite literally the case. Sure, I can have a good day here and there but as you age your trauma piles up and your affinity towards reception of new experiences lessens due to relativity.

Miracles happen every day, and the God who I believe in has the power to perform them. There is unimaginable power in prayer, and the God of the universe wants to have a relationship with YOU, no matter what your past and present look like!

"Miracles" also don't happen, this is selective thinking which results of bias formed from cherry-picking what suits/doesn't suit your personal belief structure. "Bad" things and "good" things happen everyday regardless of .your adherence to your particular brand of chauvinism.

It's obvious that not everyone will have the strength or desire to make it to the finish line on Earth, but we all have the ability to pray, and to have faith, and to love. It's in all of us, no matter how bad we may think our life is, or how bad we may think we are.

Choosing to CTB isn't about strength or lack thereof, it's about noticing and taking action in response to a trajectory your life is taking and your inability to remain happy with such after a certain point be it months, years, or decades of being subjected to such.

I've experienced a lot of great years, and now I'm experiencing some horrifying ones. I'm tempted, just like everyone in this forum, to just pack it in and move on to the next realm, (whatever that may be). My humble advice is to try and find peace right now, in this life, before throwing it in the trash can. We are not trash, God does not make garbage. We are incredible and beautiful in a million different ways, we just need to see past our pain to believe it.

Of course, as you age you compile experiences en masse and to find peace while being subject to the human condition is a fools errand andq quintessentially impossible as our biology prevents such by default. You are asking the impossible with projecting such a statement. We also do not know if there is/isn't a god which is why such is labelled as faith and yes, religion is the opiate of the masses but such does not rewire our biological processes, it just allows dogma to cloud our judgement.

The next miracle that happens in the universe, could happen to you. It might not be today, or tomorrow, it might happen when you least expect it. But make no mistake, they do happen! I have close family members who have been healed from hideous diseases. It's an incredible thing to see and experience!

Here we go again, miracles... Since you seem to incessantly parrot prejudiced bias towards one side of the spectrum why not do the same for the other for sake of fair play? Tragedies are a common occurrence and happen every waking moment of every day on this sphere we're inhabiting, they could happen to you when you least expect them and make no mistake, they do happen! I have had close family members who have expired due to hideous diseases and it's a horrific site to see and be subjected to!

Adversity in life is not just for torture, it's how we grow as humans. No pain means no character. It should of course not be ALL pain, but this is very rarely the case. I'm trying hard here not to overdose on optimism, but a lifetime of smooth sailing just does NOT build character!

Well of course it isn't, and yes we do "grow" from suffering but we also numb ourselves due to such as well which has a detrimental effect on the majority of our future positive stimuli that we experience. I you consider suffering and dying inside over decades before ending up in a nursing home and given pill cocktails before expiring from the usual opiate overdose once your family members can't afford your care any longer building character I don't even know where to begin....

In many ways, pain is how we know we're truly alive, and it's the CONTRAST between suffering and pleasure that makes the good times really great. Just like it's the contrast between work and leisure that makes having time off so enjoyable!

Okay, what of it? We feel pain and thus we know we're alive? What constitutes being alive other than not experiencing brain death and how much pain are we talking about? And yes I will agree that the contrast between pain and suffering brings meaning to both ends of said spectrum but the human brains response to pain is far different than it's response to pleasure. In response to pleasure you get a rush of endorphins and occasional oxytocin depending on the circumstance. In response to pain on the other hand.... Your brain tends to dwell on trauma until it eventually builds "barriers" such as dissociative amnesia or embraces the suffering after a certain point and leads you on the path towards masochism (ie Stockholm syndrome).

Without pain and suffering, we would never even recognize joy and happiness. They would be completely meaningless. All we really need is a couple of good miracles, and we will be back in the saddle again, enjoying life more than we ever knew was possible. Stronger, wiser, happier, healthier, and able to feel love and compassion on a level that was previously impossible!

Y
ou already made this point and everything is meaningless by default, even our universe because eventually it will end in quadrillions of years, if you take faith-based subject matter into consideration it's still pointless because if eternal life is valid then such is scarcely different than nothingness as both extremes go on forever but one extreme offers peace while the other offers imprisonment you can't escape because you'll exist forever. Also, to repeat the same thing expecting a different result is one of the many definitions of insanity as we all know.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but you seem to lack the ability to see both sides of an issue, every coin has two sides.

• Love
Reactions: DefinitelyReady and Plato'sCaveDweller
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Dear @Praying 4 a Miracle

I get you probably have good intentions with this thread. But I'm going to close it.
It's great you found support in your faith. But not everyone here has a ( good) relationship with god .
Not everyone is experiencing miracles and in general will feel offended by what you're saying.

This kind of talk will only trigger people and stir up not very fun feelings.

If you really want to help with positive speeches please stick to the recovery section.

• Love
Reactions: Buffy, Nothing87, hopelesswanderer and 7 others
Status
Not open for further replies.