• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

drnhng

drnhng

please
Sep 29, 2020
that rate of death in japan is practically the same as every month in japan, and is almost the same rate as the u.s.'s suicide rate; last time i checked japan ranked like 30th in the world for countries with highest suicide rates; the journalists should be fired for that title imo

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
that rate of death in japan is practically the same as every month in japan, and is almost the same rate as the u.s.'s suicide rate; last time i checked japan ranked like 30th in the world for countries with highest suicide rates; the journalists should be fired for that title imo

Wow for one month I thought the UK suicide rate doubled to about 600 a month but 2153 a month is huge.

Cheers

Geo

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
not to be an asshole and all but I wonder what method they used.

I don't know interesting though, that could be why C has run out of N but I feel they probably go for more traditional methods like hanging and jumping, tubes and trains but I could be wrong I'm no expert.

Cheers

Geo

I found this interesting articule on Japan and the USA suicides.
Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I don't know interesting though, that could be why C has run out of N but I feel they probably go for more traditional methods like hanging and jumping, tubes and trains but I could be wrong I'm no expert.

Cheers

Geo

I found this interesting articule on Japan and the USA suicides.
Cheers

Geo
Very interesting article.
I suspect there also used to be a lot train suicides in Japan but all the barriers they have there make it almost impossible now

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Just reading this documenet last year they were just under 20,000 per year, a record wow there anti suicide campaigns must be as good as the UK's :smiling: at least they gave a figure not a percentage of per 100,000 etc.

Cheers

Geo

T

ts0hill

Victim of the pharmaceutical industry
Oct 17, 2020
not to be an asshole and all but I wonder what method they used.
There's a suicide forest in Japan where people tend to hang themselves since they don't have acces to guns... I visited the forest when I was visiting Japan about 5 years ago.. I wasn't thinking of cbt then but went off the trail to see what it was like.. my feet kept getting trapped in pockets in the ground since it was covered with lava from a volcano from many years ago and then covered with leaves.. I think some people might also fall into these craters that are larger.. Idk why the suicide rate is higher there tho.. I have a few theories. Also Korea I believe has a high rate of suicide

B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
There's a suicide forest in Japan where people tend to hang themselves since they don't have acces to guns... I visited the forest when I was visiting Japan about 5 years ago.. I wasn't thinking of cbt then but went off the trail to see what it was like.. my feet kept getting trapped in pockets in the ground since it was covered with lava from a volcano from many years ago and then covered with leaves.. I think some people might also fall into these craters that are larger.. Idk why the suicide rate is higher there tho.. I have a few theories. Also Korea I believe has a high rate of suicide
I hate si

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Why is suicide so prevalent there?

I will take a wild stab in the dark to try and answer this question I would say over population and lack of high paying jobs and keeping the high paying jobs comes with high stress levels. Suicide has always been honourable in Japan from the Samurai Warrior killing himself to WW pilots crashing into there targets to destroy them but dishonouring family could be a big part but I don't know all the answers.

Cheers

Geo

muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Interesting. That doesn't surprise me, though, since Japan already had a culture of mask wearing long before covid, so getting citizens to comply with wearing masks isn't too difficult, hence the low number of cases and deaths

Reactions: Jumper Geo
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Very superficial article

I'm confused I will hold my hands up, not the first time but please explain, Very superficial article, I doubled checked with Google the meaning and come up two answers below but you may be from Japan so may have a different perspective so I'm interested to hear your opinion.

Existing or occurring at or on the surface, "the building suffered only superficial damage"
Appearing to be true or real only until examined more closely, "the resemblance between the breeds is superficial"

Thanks

George

Reactions: Homecoming
H

Homecoming

Wizard
Aug 14, 2020
I bet there are Japanese guest lurking around here.

They do have their own suicide forum in Japanese language right?

Reactions: Jumper Geo
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Interesting. That doesn't surprise me, though, since Japan already had a culture of mask wearing long before covid, so getting citizens to comply with wearing masks isn't too difficult, hence the low number of cases and deaths

Asian countries seem to have coped a lot better maybe because they had to tackle other viruses like SARS but the death tolls are lower than ours.

Cheers

Geo
I bet there are Japanese guest lurking around here.

They do have their own suicide forum in Japanese language right?

Yes I think your right as there doesn't seem to be many Japanese people on SS but I suppose as a resource they would lurk.

Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
Reactions: Homecoming
Nullm

Nullm

Student
Apr 5, 2019
I'm confused I will hold my hands up, not the first time but please explain, Very superficial article, I doubled checked with Google the meaning and come up two answers below but you may be from Japan so may have a different perspective so I'm interested to hear your opinion.

Existing or occurring at or on the surface, "the building suffered only superficial damage"
Appearing to be true or real only until examined more closely, "the resemblance between the breeds is superficial"

Thanks

George
I only meant that it should have covered more details
(Am not from japan)

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
I only meant that it should have covered more details
(Am not from japan)

Ok thanks I am not from Japan either, lol so the only information I could provide was media reports and the only other information was out of date like just over 34,000 suicides in 2003 but by banning overtime and making it easier to visit psychologists the rate started to drop.

Cheers

Geo

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I am not Japanese but i speak the language, took Japanese history courses and was almost engaged to a Japanese man after a long relationship.

It is a culture that is entrenched in doing things for the country and the society rather than one's self. Even at a very young age, children have to stay at school and clean their classrooms as well as performing other tasks to help out. As they get older they are expected to join club activities at school which often mean they are at school a couple hours early in the morning before it begins and must stay late after school as well. Cram schools are another integral part of the Japanese schooling experience usually.

From day one, even school children are worked to the bone. In high school their worries are more about studying for university entrance exams rather than the carefree school life you see in media. It can be an incredibly isolating experience. There is a very isolationist culture in Japan and those who are odd or typed as potential hikkikomori/otaku or thought to be 外人 (foreigners) are ostracised relentlessly.

Once one graduates from the Japanese education system their whole life becomes work. They must be loyal to their company and their boss, if you decline invitations to drink after work many times you will be fired for not showing utmost allegiance to the company. Overtime and events like drinking are mandatory and expected.

過労死 literally means "overwork death". It is so common that Japan and China have both coined terminology for it. When you couple the stresses of work alongside the pressure many are put under by their families to marry and have children even if it would ruin their career, consequences are devastating for the individual and many would rather ctb than continue the rat race.

It is why you see many salarymen going into that forest.

Also drugs are very taboo in Japan and they are incredibly strict about dispensing medication or someone importing it, which is why you always see people resorting to such violent and painful methods of ending their lives.

Last edited:
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

Thanks for that insight yes I remember loyalty to the Company is paramount and you can't say no to after work drinks unless it's crucial you can't attend so you arrive early for morning exercise and stay out late drinking, it will take it's toll in the end.

Cheers

Geo

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I wonder what methods they used.
I believe that hanging and train jumping are the most common methods in jp due to cultural taboos against drugs and weaponry post WW2. See the film Battle Royale when the boy's father made himself a noose from toilet paper out of desperation.

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
I believe that hanging and train jumping are the most common methods in jp due to cultural taboos against drugs and weaponry post WW2. See the film Battle Royale when the boy's father made himself a noose from toilet paper out of desperation.

I'm surprised they are a very rich Country and there exchange rate was alway's excellent so they can buy whatever they wanted abroad at little cost to them. The suicide forest is a favorite final resting place for many, they said they came across a body and pills and booze was around him.

Cheers

Geo

Nicebuddimtim

Nicebuddimtim

Ghost
Jun 28, 2020
Covid 19 really isn't a big issue it's distraction from what's really going on (what that is I can't say for sure) covid is just the catalyst "they" have been waiting for. Covid mainly kills the sick and elderly which is a blessing in my eyes but the way it's being treated is changing the world in a huge way and not for the better.

Reactions: Trannydiary
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Covid 19 really isn't a big issue it's distraction from what's really going on (what that is I can't say for sure) covid is just the catalyst "they" have been waiting for. Covid mainly kills the sick and elderly which is a blessing in my eyes but the way it's being treated is changing the world in a huge way and not for the better.

I find it incredibly sad these are peoples mothers, fathers, brother and sisters not all of them are old or have underlined health issues some are old folks in nursing homes who have been without family, human contact for months and had a lonely death. There were another 603 covid deaths in the UK today. I think the Chineses released it to ensure Donald Trump never got reelected for costing them billions of dollars or to take the media attention away from the Hong Kong riots and probably mutated faster than they expected.

The UK high street will never be the same as stores that have traded for over a century have gone into administration with 100,000's of job loses.

Cheers

Geo

• Love
Reactions: FatalSystemError591
C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
Let's also consider that Japan was among the countries that had excellent control over the virus, low rates,

Reactions: drnhng
FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020

The sick and elderly still have lives, the sick and elderly are still people. They deserve the choice to live as much as we do. And it isn't just them anymore, it has hit everyone and everything. And those people who have it spread it to others who are careless and treat it as a hoax.

As someone who falls under that sick category but still is very much an essential worker who has to support their family, who has to deal with careless anti-maskers and have to deal with those who are treating COVID as a giant joke and conspiracy theory... I plead for you to change your views. Now is NOT the time for conspiracies. The time is for helping those who now have lost those close to them to a virus that didn't have to spread if people had not been careless. People have lost mothers, fathers, siblings, lovers, friends.. and I have to see it every day and the impact it has on those around me. Every day I lose hope as the hospitals nearby me are overwhelmed, businesses being shut down, people losing their jobs and having their entire lives destroyed and their families torn apart.

It is far from a blessing. It has shown how cruel humanity is, how the governments don't care, and how little empathy this world has. But what about those who died, who could have helped change that?

Please don't dare say it is a blessing that people have senselessly died when more could have been done.

C

Cleopatra123

Arcanist
Jun 8, 2019
The sick and elderly still have lives, the sick and elderly are still people. They deserve the choice to live as much as we do. And it isn't just them anymore, it has hit everyone and everything. And those people who have it spread it to others who are careless and treat it as a hoax.

As someone who falls under that sick category but still is very much an essential worker who has to support their family, who has to deal with careless anti-maskers and have to deal with those who are treating COVID as a giant joke and conspiracy theory... I plead for you to change your views. Now is NOT the time for conspiracies. The time is for helping those who now have lost those close to them to a virus that didn't have to spread if people had not been careless. People have lost mothers, fathers, siblings, lovers, friends.. and I have to see it every day and the impact it has on those around me. Every day I lose hope as the hospitals nearby me are overwhelmed, businesses being shut down, people losing their jobs and having their entire lives destroyed and their families torn apart.

It is far from a blessing. It has shown how cruel humanity is, how the governments don't care, and how little empathy this world has. But what about those who died, who could have helped change that?

Please don't dare say it is a blessing that people have senselessly died when more could have been done.
I agree essential, but it should be a free choice. As a nurse I've seen many elderly suffering in nursing homes, confined completely, without family, in pain and empty of the life that made meaning. What's left then? More pain, loneliness and meaninglessness for them. They should have a choice.