F

fedupwithlife

Student
Jul 28, 2023
I would honestly have my instincts to go save them even if I knew that's not what they chose

• Love
Reactions: SufferinEnjoyer, SenseOfLoss, dialogos and 1 other person
busybee

busybee

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
The issue is that if I would not attempt to help I might get into legal issues and put into jail for failure to provide assistance.

Reactions: jellie and LonelyKitten
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Never, the thought of someone doing such a thing disgusts me, other people really shouldn't have any right to interfere as it's not their life and their decision, "saving" someone from suicide is just prolonging suffering and only ever causes more harm.

People should be allowed to die exactly when they wish to as after all they aren't obligated to continue to suffer here, suicide is a personal decision, it's the choice to find true peace from existence, it's not something to prevent.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Hollowman, Praestat_Mori, dialogos and 2 others
Death_or_Coffee

Death_or_Coffee

Far better rest I go to than I have ever known.
Aug 24, 2023
The instinct would be there for sure, but this would obviously be so hypocritical. Doesn't mean my emotions wouldn't be going haywire at the time, but we're so adamant at advocating for pro-choice, and "saving" the person would be taking away the choice they'd already made. I hope I'd think about it for a few seconds and then go, "Damn, good for them. Little jealous, but see ya on the other side." Right? Isn't this the non hypocritical response we'd hope for if we were the one making the attempt?

I acknowledge the possible legal implications, but as we say all the time, we really don't have the right, even with the possible risk to ourselves…

jellie

jellie

May 9, 2023
I think that as a friend I would encourage them to seek professional help. I would not and do not encourage ctb but i do feel like it is a valid decision to make for oneself.

Reactions: aetherless, SenseOfLoss and idontfeellikeimreal
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The issue is that if I would not attempt to help I might get into legal issues and put into jail for failure to provide assistance.
Where is this "Good Samaritan" law at? I'm glad no law exists like this in the states.

Reactions: Death_or_Coffee
B

BornByGhosts

wants to overcome Sports Illustrated
Mar 3, 2023
really depends on the circumstance

Reactions: aetherless, Kerrtu, emptyshell and 1 other person
Kundalini Guy

Kundalini Guy

FULLY RECOVERED
Mar 27, 2023
No, I have noticed doing good in this world always gets you in trouble. I don't even save animals anymore because I did in the past and it backfired.

• Love
Reactions: Meditation guide and ultrasharpy123456
Quiet_Observer

Quiet_Observer

Aug 22, 2023
It depends, I probably would not do anything if they do not have any dependencies; nobody should really stop them from doing what they want in most scenarios.

unending_emptiness

unending_emptiness

Why don’t I feel anything at all?
Aug 20, 2023
Really depends on the scenario. Has the person made an informed decision? Has the person tried alternative solutions? Is the person purely acting on impulse? If it is due to impulse, I would stop them because if somebody wants to do such a big thing it's important that they consider the aftermath and consequences. By impulse I mean mental breakdown, ext… For example, someone who is in a mental breakdown feels uncontrollable emotions wants to ctb immediately. I just don't think that you should be in a very vulnerable state while making that decision. If not, then I would not stop them. I'd make sure they don't die alone and go as peacefully as possible (if they don't want me there that's ok too ofc ) One thing I'll never do is encourage ctb as that's a decision that nobody should have an influence on.

• Hugs
Reactions: emptyshell, dialogos, ShrimpSB and 1 other person
G

garrypallister99

Aug 20, 2023
I would honestly have my instincts to go save them even if I knew that's not what they chose
Id say I would ask them why they're doing it was clear they are sober and it wasn't for a completely rash reason then I would definitely let them find their peace

Reactions: Death_or_Coffee
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
It would depend on the reason. Many have been saved here because when they gave the reasons, others mentioned possible resolutions. The individuals took the advice and the situation improved. I count those as both a save and a success.

• Love
Reactions: dialogos
U

ultrasharpy123456

Wizard
Aug 18, 2022
Lol nope. The last time I tried to help someone out I got yelled at. Everytime I try to do something nice or ty to be nice I'm given a rude response. I don't wanna deal with it, I don't want to help anyone out of suicide or their problems anymore.

Reactions: Meditation guide
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
Well if im going to kill myself anyway, I might as well rack up good points lols
Seriously, if a person tries to commit suicide yet isn't careful enough to hide the act and therefore allows other people to intervene, then that person didn't think it thru.
I'll tell him/her that your action is forcing me to take action because I can't stop that in myself because that would ruin me as a person. The blame falls on him/her for not being discrete about it.
Thinking each and every day that I could or could not stop that person would've stressed me out and caused me to ctb earlier.
You see even animals help out other animals, even of different species, check YouTube.
its as natural as SI (survival instinct) and just as hard to stop because I'm not a psychopath, not sociopath, not a dark empath who can easily curtail my concern OK? So don't anyone of you crucify me..
So always ctb in secret or anonymously.

Last edited:
Reactions: fedupwithlife
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
No. I would not interfere because that will cause more suffering and pain for the one who wants to CTB. Maybe I'd ask whether they want to talk or not. Interfering in an attempt can cause the one who wants to CTB severe brain damage and other permanent injuries that will make their life they wanted to end even more horrible.

If I attempt one day I don't want anyone to interfere or trying to rescue me bc this is my personal decision and this has to be respected.

Last edited:
Reactions: fedupwithlife and Kerrtu
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'd probably try and talk to them but it would be more of a- I'm here if you want to talk rather than a- I'm going to try and stop you. I don't like the thought of someone being so alone and feeling like no one gives a shit about them. But- on the other hand, I am 100% pro choice. If they're sure it's what they want- it would feel hypocritical and wrong to stop them.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: dialogos, Amelie, Kerrtu and 1 other person
Borderline

Borderline

Borderline Personality Disorder
Aug 8, 2023
I didn't manage to save my friends from it even though I tried.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: dialogos and Kerrtu
Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
It's tricky.

First off, I feel when one expresses they want to or are thinking of CTB, it tends to cause panic if they share this thought with a person who immediately wants to intervene in a "traditional way" ie call 911, have the person be brought to a hospital which the person very may well not want to go to.

Example: My brother. When our mother married her second husband, she acted like he didn't exist and treated him so, as stepfather 2 didn't particularly care for my brother. We only lived with him for a short time, but my brother had no bedroom - he slept on a concrete floor in the basement. He came to me one night and said he was going to kill himself and, his abuse of me aside, I knew that feeling and I felt he was going to do it. I saw in his eyes, he was terrified.

I made a call to my father who was in Michigan at the time. Now, it wouldn't have mattered if I had killed myself (I've discussed my fathers feelings towards me, his disgust) but my brother? No way. I told him of the conditions, the sleeping on concrete, etc., and a few days later I was looking at houses.

I was 15 - I either just got my drivers license or had a permit, I can't remember. Anyhow, I found a house for sale and and brought a friend along to drive by and check it out. The price was good, I made an appointment to view the house and the realtor said he'd never shown a house to someone my age - a first for him.

I called my father back in Michigan and told him of my find, and he basically bought it, sight unseen. He did come back and my brother and I moved into the house, and that was what helped my brother - having a bed, his own room, a fresh start in a way.

Example 2:

In my sisters case, after the birth of her first child, very soon after, she was going to attempt. She had gone to the bathroom and locked herself in - I don't know what she was going to do, but my niece began to cry in the crib and that sort of snapped my sister out of it and she came out to tend to her baby.

I think it was last summer when she had somewhat of a breakdown. She called me as she was driving and told me she had to get out and knowing how similar we are, I was concerned she was going to attempt. Now, had she been alone and attempted, or actually CTB, I would've been devastated though ultimately I would understand why. The issue was, she brought my 2 young nieces with her and that's when I got very scared. I was afraid she was going to possibly do something to them, my mind was racing.

She told me she didn't know where she was driving to, she just had to get out, and she was in a very dark place mentally. I made sure to stay in touch with her throughout but not so much to overwhelm her. It kind of felt like a hostage situation tbh as my nieces were with her and I didn't want anything to happen to them. She had brought a tent and was going to try and camp out somewhere but I sent her money to rent a cabin and that helped. They stayed there for maybe 2 days, and then she decided ok - she was going to go home. I was so relieved to know the girls were alright. It could've been a disaster.

Now, had my sister left alone, I still would've been concerned. Ending your life is one thing, but to take the kids with you? It was scary. I was able to remain calm when we talked, but after we'd hang up, I'd be crying. I would have respected her choice if it had come to CTB, but my nieces - I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to them.

• Love
Reactions: fedupwithlife, Praestat_Mori and dialogos
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Definitely not. I know no help, professional or not will do anything once someone has made up their mind.

Everyone has the right to die and no one has the right to interfere in that ultimate human right.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I respect everyone's rights and choices, I wouldn't save them but I would try to resist the urge to do so because its human nature to be inclined to save someone.

• Informative
Reactions: dialogos, Kerrtu and Praestat_Mori
D

dyingslowly

Jul 17, 2023

There is a legal reason why you shouldn't get involved. As the person family might try to put that on you to avoid the person been seen as suicidal.

Reactions: fedupwithlife