H

HouseofMortok

Student
Jul 1, 2023
I know someone that was in the army that had his chute fail and landed in a tree and smashed all his legs up. Cliché luck I guess.

L

LtParis

Jul 8, 2023
She still had a parachute, it was just tangled. I had to google some of the other numbers, but a functioning parachute has a decent rate of about 17 mph, they then flare to slow down in the last moments before they land. Anything over 50 mph at impact is apparently certain death, without a parachute (tangled or not) the slowest you can go is about 130 mph.

W

WaitingAllMyLife

Jul 4, 2022
If she had a tangled parachute, she had drag so not falling at full velocity. However, there HAVE been a few instances of survival with NO parachute. But they are incredibly rare.
She still had a parachute, it was just tangled. I had to google some of the other numbers, but a functioning parachute has a decent rate of about 17 mph, they then flare to slow down in the last moments before they land. Anything over 50 mph at impact is apparently certain death, without a parachute (tangled or not) the slowest you can go is about 130 mph.
130 mph is not the slowest you can go. Terminal velocity is 120 mph. But you can slow that down by creating drag either by body shape (you can cup air) or with clothing. *Note - I am a skydiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: LtParis
C

Cheffo

Sep 23, 2023
Plus softer surface I would presume. different than in a city. And dons't they where headgear? Still unusual. I suppose taking sn or something before might add extra guarantee
If she had a tangled parachute, she had drag so not falling at full velocity. However, there HAVE been a few instances of survival with NO parachute. But they are incredibly rare.

130 mph is not the slowest you can go. Terminal velocity is 120 mph. But you can slow that down by creating drag either by body shape (you can cup air) or with clothing. *Note - I am a skydiver.
se

Old Friend

Old Friend

Sleep well, Airstrip One.
Sep 24, 2023
I remember hearing of one years ago where the parachute failed to open. The guy went through a load of trees and landed in a big pile of cow dung. Survived.

Reactions: gardenfairy and Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
She, like some others, is an outlier. No method is 100%, but jumping involves more variables than others. Plenty of people jump from much smaller heights and die, some survive. Other people break clouds and survive, while others die. You'll never know for sure, I guess.

I don't believe in miracles, but she is lucky. If all the elements of the story are accurate, that is.

Reactions: Nx7
S

SaltySuh

Aug 12, 2023
Try to rephrase it, but this is a miracle if I ever heard of one. For reference, the tallest mountain in the Rocky Mountains (Mt. Elbert) is shorter than this woman's fall.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Ugh this makes me scared to jump (my most likely method) cuz I could always end up surviving and paralyzed

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I think the furthest ever fall survived by a human was Vesna Vulovic who survived a 33,000ft fall

• Wow
Reactions: exitplease