M

mthld.nd07

Jun 23, 2024
So basically i have a doctor appointement thursday to ask if i can take meds / antidepressants (i've already had a treatment but i was allergic so i stopped taking it) but now i feel like i need a new one. If i tell the doctor about my suicidal thoughts + sh, will she send me to the hospital ? I really need it i want to kms i have an abusive father in law (i dont live w him since one week because i called the police and i gotta live with my father now, but he's a narcissist so..) and everything goes wrong in my life and i seriously think about suicide. So if i say all that to the doctor are there risks she will send me to mental hospital ?

T

timetodie24

Arcanist
Apr 14, 2023
Hi. So sorry for everything you're going through, I hope the doctor is helpful.

It might help if you say what country you're from ? As mental health laws vary.
I can only speak for UK and here that won't get you sent to hospital and a GP can't just admit or section you to psych hospital like that here.

Reactions: mthld.nd07
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
As long as you don't admit you have actual plans to do anything, they won't send you to hospital. There's a looooot of people with suicidal thoughts who were never hospitalized. Immediate danger of death or serious damage is needed to be assessed. Thoughts on their own are advised to be consulted with a psychiatrist.

Reactions: astr4
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Mage
Apr 15, 2024
If you plan to kill yourself with antidepressant overdose, that won't work. If you want antidepressants to recover from depression and suicidal thoughts, but worry about being admitted, you can tell the doctor that you have suicidal thoughts, but emphasize that you don't have suicidal plans or researching methods. If you are still worried, you can say you are depressed and wish to die, BUT have no thoughts of killing yourself in any way (passive death wish).

M

mthld.nd07

Jun 23, 2024
As long as you don't admit you have actual plans to do anything, they won't send you to hospital. There's a looooot of people with suicidal thoughts who were never hospitalized. Immediate danger of death or serious damage is needed to be assessed. Thoughts on their own are advised to be consulted with a psychiatrist.
Okay thanks for answering. But one year ago i was in this case and asked by myself if i could go to hospital because i knew i was going to plan my death if i didn't do anything, and the doctor said okay we can send u to the hospital (but the rooms were full i couldn't go finally). So what's the psychiatrist is going to do ? My doctor can put me on meds or do i have to consult a psychiatrist for that ?
Hi. So sorry for everything you're going through, I hope the doctor is helpful.

It might help if you say what country you're from ? As mental health laws vary.
I can only speak for UK and here that won't get you sent to hospital and a GP can't just admit or section you to psych hospital like that here.
I'm from France

D

Daryl72

Mar 12, 2024
I've worried about that as well, and here in the USA if you tell a doctor or police that you are suicidal, it's possible they may try to send you. If you tell them you are actively trying to end your life, than it's almost a guarantee not will get sent.

dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Okay thanks for answering. But one year ago i was in this case and asked by myself if i could go to hospital because i knew i was going to plan my death if i didn't do anything, and the doctor said okay we can send u to the hospital (but the rooms were full i couldn't go finally). So what's the psychiatrist is going to do ? My doctor can put me on meds or do i have to consult a psychiatrist for that ?

I'm from France
I'm not sure honestly. Whenever I went to my psychiatrist and admitted I had been considering suicide a lot, they increased my antidepressants dosage and offered me to go to the hospital. But it wasn't necessary so they didn't make me when I refused it.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be able to find any place for me because there were people in my city who were threatening to kill themselves and weren't assessed anyway and they committed suicide shortly afterwards. Soooo I guess that depends on many factors but I think they're aware that mental health institutions are way too small and they won't let you in there unless it's absolutely necessary.