• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

P

pinkribbonscars

She’s lost control
Oct 7, 2021
I'd like to see honest conversations about quality of life and euthanasia options. Including for people who cannot speak for their own suffering.
I don't think forced abortions. but also not gooey romanticised isn't life great with autism etc.
Since when did I romanticize autism?

I've argued that there are some individuals and some families of autistic people who are able to live happily with autism. My argument is that we cannot assume autism inherently causes suffering, and that the medical and social service field is behind in providing solutions and supports for autistic people and their families.

Kim Peek was an autistic man who was told by his parents to put him in an institution and that he would never walk or talk. They refused. He was never fully independent, but it was clear from the documentaries and talks I have watched that both Kim and his father were happy with their predicament despite the challenges.

If autistic ppl find their autism to be too much and want to ctb, that is their right. If a pregnant person wants to abort a child who screened positive for a disability, they should have the right. There are also many parents who fought their entire lives for their children to be included and they ought to be supported.

I agree that romanticizing disability is a disservice and that individuals or families who are suffering should not be silenced like they often are. Being told "it's a blessing!" does not solve the problems disabled people and their families face. Yet I don't think a counter solution is the idea that disability inherently equals suffering. I am arguing for nuance, as it seems most people either have rose colored glasses or believe disability should be eliminated. I disagree with both views.

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000 and Chara
J

Jolene79

Experienced
Jun 16, 2023
I was going to talk about society as the cause of suffering for so many Autistics from what I see but I hear what you're saying about all the sensory crap. I have severe sensory neuropathy in every part of me, now my face and head, and it makes me want to die. So I have some insight on that part

What annoys me outside of this is that for so many Autistic people I feel life could be so so much better if they weren't forced into living in a bullshit robotic NT world. I love the honesty and authenticity of so many ND people. Society just can't handle it. I think like someone else on here said, alot of this shit is on society.

Saying that, I see many people suffer horrendously with varying degrees of problems and some are severe for Autistic people.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim and 0000000000000
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
hi sorry am just very grumpy today. don't know how well I read anything. I got myself new headphones to listen to stuff while walking and still absolutely hate life.
by the way there is research that THC can help autism. Also shrooms.

Reactions: sserafim
booplesnoot34

booplesnoot34

I’ll miss the winter, a world of fragile things
Feb 8, 2023
I'm arguing that if life is worth living or if a pregnancy is worth bringing to term should be up to the individual and not wider society. This is why I'll never support eugenics. Too much bureaucracy.

I am shocked that members of a forum that argue forced suicide prevention, medical treatments and procedures, and psychiatric holds are against human rights would also support eugenics. I thought this was a pro-choice board.
When did I say people should be forced to get abortions? Of course it's up to the individual. However, people are allowed to have opinions about what people choose to do. I don't think disabled people should be forcibly sterilized, but I am going to get voluntarily sterilized (tubes tied) because I believe that my disability should not be passed down. I am going to be vocal about my beliefs, but nobody has to do what I think is most moral. It's their choice.

Idk how the whole part about transgender people is relevant. Transgenderism is not a developmental disorder that could be tested for genetically in vitro. Trans people should have the same rights as everyone else. Living people birthed into this world should have equal rights and fair treatment.

• Informative
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sserafim and 0000000000000
subhuman metalhead

subhuman metalhead

Crowdkiller
Jul 7, 2023
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disability. The brain is essentially hardwired to be different from that of a neurotypical individual. A condition like ADHD on the other hand is a neurodevelopmental disorder caused by environmental factors outside of the individual's control, same with autism however ADHD can be treated through a healthy diet, limited screen-time, engaging in physical activity, and getting the right amount of sleep, and of course, medication. The medication works by blocking nonadrenaline and dopamine from being taken in by nerve cells in the brain after being released essentially causing higher levels of the two chemicals in between the nerve cells which causes them (the chemicals) to stay in the brain for longer than before. I'd liken the ADHD brain to being two pieces of wood superglued together, it takes a lot of work to separate them and get them back to normal, but it can be done if given the proper attention. The difference between autism and something like ADHD is that the symptoms of autism cannot truly be treated since there is no chemical imbalance/s within the brain assuming the person doesn't have any other comorbid conditions. The brain of an autist is simply built different from anyone who is neurotypical and even those with ADHD, Bipolar, and Schizophrenia.

AnHeroTransGirl

AnHeroTransGirl

Experienced
Jul 17, 2023
Seriously, we have pills for ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, and a whole bunch of other mental conditions. But with autism/Asperger's we're forced to just sit and deal with it? It's complete bullshit and I hate how most people don't even see me as human just because of the way I was born.

My only hope is that I meet the right crowd who are liberal and accepting enough to at least tolerate me and my shit. Meet them before I get so rejected I say screw the human race let them deal with their own mess.

I wish there was a pill that would suppress autistic traits and make me seem more neurotypical without trying, even temporarily. I hate that people can just tell I'm different no matter what I do and I can't do a damn thing to get it right and know I'm getting it right.
I've been given medicine for symptoms of autism during my childhood if that means anything.

Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
Beats me. Wish there was a treatment for me too

B

brokeandbroken

Elementalist
Apr 18, 2023
Reactions: divinemistress36 and sserafim
bluesoapyskies

bluesoapyskies

Aug 4, 2023
Seriously, we have pills for ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Schizophrenia, and a whole bunch of other mental conditions. But with autism/Asperger's we're forced to just sit and deal with it? It's complete bullshit and I hate how most people don't even see me as human just because of the way I was born.

My only hope is that I meet the right crowd who are liberal and accepting enough to at least tolerate me and my shit. Meet them before I get so rejected I say screw the human race let them deal with their own mess.

I wish there was a pill that would suppress autistic traits and make me seem more neurotypical without trying, even temporarily. I hate that people can just tell I'm different no matter what I do and I can't do a damn thing to get it right and know I'm getting it right.
I hate it. I was diagnosed with social communication disorder and it's affected my life pretty heavily. It sucks, because growing up I was always told that I'd "find" something. "Oh autistic people are usually super smart or they have a hobby that they're amazing at" but I never seemed to "get" the fun autism. Not cute, smart, or quirky enough for people to see it as something beneficial. Rather I come off as rude, standoffish, I can't read social cues, and my tone always sounds upset. it's horrible. It feels like the more I try to mask it, the worse off I come. All I've ever wanted was to be "normal". Everyone want's to be extraordinary they say but I've never wanted that. To just talk to a group of people and not immediately feel like the outcast. What does that feel like? Making friends isn't hard people say, but man... It's really hard to connect with people. My autism isn't quite far enough on the spectrum to be considered extreme, but it's not low enough to be undetectable either. I stand in the worst spot it feels sometimes. Not weird enough for the outcasts, but not normal enough for everyone else.

• Hugs
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
If you have low levels of oxytocin, oxytocin nasal spray can help. Though I struggle to see the benefit if you are grown. Some studies have shown it can help and others not much benefit.

Isn't that for depression?
yes and also general cognition, see this thread. He mentions an autism study

• Informative
B

brokeandbroken

Elementalist
Apr 18, 2023
yes and also general cognition, see this thread. He mentions an autism study

It has been a while since I looked into the world of nootropics though my assumption before digging into studies is that is it either just mildly effective or not at all.
Study 1: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9509332/ Didn't say much some stimulant like ability potentially with a very small sample size and some confounds to boot.
Study 2: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S009130572100188X Doesn't say much. Rat study which I hold with a grain of salt. More or less a pass/fail in my book. The control is ketamine as well which is fine but again not super impressive and a LONG way to go before I'd get stoked about it.
Study 3: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-93888-0 I can't find another study this seems to be the last one and the one most likely discussed on the reddit page. The monkey part is the only part with real value in my opinion minus the lack of seizures... It does look potentially helpful though again a very very long way away. And I am not sure the impacts were that big. Again I think like most nootropics you will see a very small benefit potentially. However, even the monkey study here has a lot of confounds like amount of participants, and things like that. More research is needed. However, I would wager this is not going to be like the pill from limitless.

It may have more impact for things like ADHD for example. It is way way too early to be able to tell anything from this though. The side effects seem to be sleep-walking and headaches primarily as well if you are curious from what I have read in a very small study. Some research apparently from a cursory look without knowing it beforehand and I can investigate if you like but some have speculated that autism arises from areas of atypical neural firing. While I do have a lot of neuroscience/psych/medical experience I am no expert.... I still subscribe loosely to the mirror neuron theory.... That said unless you are targeting the specific atypical neural firing places I think you will have much worse side effects. Furthermore, that isn't the only determinate with neural wiring and brain structure for instance being key. Even if it did "normalize" you. I am not completely sure it would do anything besides allow you to learn social behavior faster, it can be learned nonetheless. Hope this helps.

• Informative
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
It has been a while since I looked into ...

Im not really autistic myself, maybe mildly, but the site mentioned over there (unsure about 'sourcing' rules on this site) does carry TAK. Anyway I have tried it and bromantane, liked those. Many got a measurable IQ boost from the TAK in that subreddit/discord, id recommend you keep digging. Neuroplasticity is really important.

Im a huge skeptic on the supplement/nootropics industry, its big business, there are no silver bullets, most of then do too many things and cause side effects that are played down or ignored by the community. That being said the answers are there, or will be soon, if you do the leg work. Millions of people have autism and related issues so theres a lot of pressure to iron out the underlying issues. People seem to think about this stuff with an almost fatalistic, simplistic, parareligious perspective when the answers are there, somewhere.

B

brokeandbroken

Elementalist
Apr 18, 2023
Im not really autistic myself, maybe mildly, but the site mentioned over there (unsure about 'sourcing' rules on this site) does carry TAK. Anyway I have tried it and bromantane, liked those. Many got a measurable IQ boost from the TAK in that subreddit/discord, id recommend you keep digging. Neuroplasticity is really important.

Im a huge skeptic on the supplement/nootropics industry, its big business, there are no silver bullets, most of then do too many things and cause side effects that are played down or ignored by the community. That being said the answers are there, or will be soon, if you do the leg work. Millions of people have autism and related issues so theres a lot of pressure to iron out the underlying issues. People seem to think about this stuff with an almost fatalistic, simplistic, parareligious perspective when the answers are there, somewhere.
I mean how is the IQ boost being measured and what is the boost? X+3 or Like X+40? How much of that is also because of learning the test. You can train yourself to being good at IQ tests... If you take an IQ test everyday for a year your IQ score will be higher. That doesn't necessarily mean your IQ rose. Also I am not saying it doesn't work but I am not exactly leaping to go on a Russian drug. As far as Tak is concerned send me studies if you like.

A

attell4

Apr 25, 2023
Our ilk has produced a lot of evidence of being a benefit to society. I entirely understand what you're saying, but I disagree with your desire to 'normalize' yourself. You have been gifted with a trait to fight for. Fight for it and fuck anyone who makes you fight for it.

todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
I mean how is the IQ boost being measured and what is the boost? ...

Its really all over there if you dig or get in their discord. 7 IQ points, link below, nitpick that. $40 to sample something that might improve your headspace but you want to complain. You know, I just fled living with an autistic person so, muted, lol

B

brokeandbroken

Elementalist
Apr 18, 2023
Its really all over there if you dig or get in their discord. 7 IQ points, link below, nitpick that. $40 to sample something that might improve your headspace but you want to complain. You know, I just fled living with an autistic person so, muted, lol

Yeah.... Let's go through it. 1) It is anecdotal not that it is wrong necessarily but it isn't a rigorous test by any means 2 "I took the tests all in the same week, although I did different mensa tests per each." -> This one listed a 6 IQ increase yet took them all the same week. This implies to me he simply learned the test and got better at taking it not I got smarter. Also this part was kind of funny "you can completely discard the mensa results. I cannot imagine a more worthless test type for testing nootropic effects." MENSA is like *the* IQ test giver. Notably they limit the amount you can take for this reason. 3) There seems to be a large placebo impact here. While it cannot be said for certain and I am stoked the individual who wrote the post is feeling much better.... It's highly likely a placebo. Maybe it gives you slightly more energy. "explosive at lifting weights".... This would be some evidence for it. Unless they are also taking steroids it's unlikely going to give you a boost in the gym either. If it does I would have heard about it lol. 4) Another listed a 7 point increase though it was at least slightly implied again numerous IQ tests being taken.

To summarize I haven't seen anything in the way of concrete evidence. Looks a lot like a placebo in the anecdotal studies. Maybe it could mildly help in some aspects. Lastly while even if it does turn out to be the case and it does increase your IQ by a 6.5 points.... A to be fair a 6.5 point increase in IQ is something I would gladly take.... It is far from a limitless pill.

Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
I'm arguing that if life is worth living or if a pregnancy is worth bringing to term should be up to the individual and not wider society. This is why I'll never support eugenics. Too much bureaucracy.

I am shocked that members of a forum that argue forced suicide prevention, medical treatments and procedures, and psychiatric holds are against human rights would also support eugenics. I thought this was a pro-choice board.
You're shocked that people who hate having a poor quality of life, want to support policies that would improve average quality of life, thus reducing the need for suicide? Stop thinking so high-time-preference.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Probably because no one knows exactly how it works or what causes it. The brain is very complex. If there were a pill for autism I'd take it 100%. Fuck ASD

• Hugs
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, ijustwishtodie, Lookingtoflyfree and 1 other person
Lookingtoflyfree

Lookingtoflyfree

Experienced
Jan 11, 2024
Autism is a developmental disorder that fundamentally alters the entire being. It's like asking why there isn't a pill for Down syndrome or cerebral palsy. I'd be first in line to cure my autism with a pill but it's so much more complicated than that. The best we can hope for is in utero genetic testing and selective abortions to prevent more autists being born. For those of us who are alive, there are services ranging from occupational therapy to social skills training to independent living skills classes, to help us to be as functional an independent as possible. It's actually my job to provide these services in my area.
I live in one of the biggest cities in my country and one of the wealthiest on the planet and the services are shit. I get you provide services, but many places do NOT have anything, and the VR people are abysmal and ableist. I had one in the interviews actually slow down and say...words..one..by...one...so...i...could...understand.

I would undergo a surgery or take meds in a heartbeat. The fact we don't allow autistic people to CTB more easily shows how ableist we are. We should try and start our own group to assist with it.

I really hope to find the right crowd. I had drinks with a fellow autistic person and they were absolutely exhausting and repeatedly violated my boundaries around touching and just being on their phone the whole time. I am better at masking but it made me wonder if that's what people look at me and think. Really don't want to see this person again, and hope to find another crowd after I move.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I don't think there's enough knowledge about autism yet to cure it. However, I hope that changes over the next couple of decades and that a cure does develop.. somehow. Of course I wouldn't be alive for it but hopefully people who are alive then can be saved from the torment and misery that autism causes

Reactions: divinemistress36, leavingthesoultrap and sserafim
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I apologize for the lack of knowledge about Autism so hopefully this doesn't sound offensive but do most people with Autism deal with depression?

thetruetato

thetruetato

Student
Jan 1, 2024

I have autism and ADHD, and I take a combination of adderall and guanfacine. Without it I basically act like I'm drunk and can't focus on anything or control my impulses. It doesn't stop me from having a weird personality or being a social recluse though.