• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
I am on mental health helpline groups on Facebook, such as CALM (Campaign Against Living miserably) and The Samaritans and they often quote statistics such as every 30 minutes, someone dies in the UK through suicide. If there are so many suicides, why does it seem so hard to do from people on here?

If there was a way I thought could work that was not too painful or stressful, I would ironically be in much better mental health now as I would know there would be an escape if things became too unbearable. As it is, I struggle so much with my mental health now and dread the future. I just wish I could be like all those people who are part of the statistics where "one suicide every 30 minutes" etc and know I could do it in future if I could not stand it any more

Reactions: Euthanza
D

dggtscccvfd

Mage
Jun 1, 2023
I am on mental health helpline groups on Facebook, such as CALM (Campaign Against Living miserably) and The Samaritans and they often quote statistics such as every 30 minutes, someone dies in the UK through suicide. If there are so many suicides, why does it seem so hard to do from people on here?

If there was a way I thought could work that was not too painful or stressful, I would ironically be in much better mental health now as I would know there would be an escape if things became too unbearable. As it is, I struggle so much with my mental health now and dread the future. I just wish I could be like all those people who are part of the statistics where "one suicide every 30 minutes" etc and know I could do it in future if I could not stand it any more
The majority of suicides are hanging too. People have balls!

Reactions: maneose, Euthanza, divinemistress36 and 1 other person
lkjhgfdsa1

lkjhgfdsa1

🖤
Apr 17, 2024
I always wonder about that too
Why does it seem so easy when looking at statistics

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
15 per day in 2023, which is about 1 per waking hour. So the statistic isn't incorrect (except its more like 1 per hour than 30 minutes, but whatever, there are failed attempts too). There are a lot of people living in the UK, so that comes to about 10 per 100K people. That's only 0.01% of people. It's not like many people have a friend circle that even encompasses 10K people to know even a single suicide(per year) if you think about it like that. A year is still a decently long time.

Suicide is difficult, and hanging is one of the more accessible methods.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: maneose and Forveleth
A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
15 per day in 2023, which is about 1 per waking hour. So the statistic isn't incorrect. There are a lot of people living in the UK, so that comes to about 10 per 100K people. That's only 0.01% of people.

Suicide is difficult.
Yes, I know compared to the population size it isn't many but it still proves that a lot of people manage it every day. And if they can manage it, why can't some on here when life is so painful. Do you think we overthink it sometimes?

lkjhgfdsa1

lkjhgfdsa1

🖤
Apr 17, 2024
Yes, I know compared to the population size it isn't many but it still proves that a lot of people manage it every day. And if they can manage it, why can't some on here when life is so painful. Do you think we overthink it sometimes?
ppl who come to this site must overthink it

I often wonder if we make it more complicated than it is

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeIsBS, Euthanza, Goku Black and 2 others
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
More than 700 000 people die by suicide every year. For each suicide, there are an estimated 20 suicide attempts.
the odds are against you. According to the American Association of Suicidology (based on a SAMHSA study)1, there are 25 attempts at suicide for every one success.
In young people (aged 15 – 24), the odds are between 100 and 200 to 1 against. The elderly seem a lot more successful at 4:1.

The odds are against you no matter how you look at it. Suicide is hard to succeed at unless you have the right tools available to you and unless you are able to fight against your SI. Most people who attempt suicide fail.

Mental health charities, like a lot of charities, exist so that money hungry dumbasses and snatch a quick penny from well-meaning people. They don't care about mental illnesses. Shocking statistics help to get more people to donate and thus allows them to line their pockets. Suicide is hard but they don't care about suicide. They just want more money.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Euthanza, Forveleth and 2 others
A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
ppl who come to this site must overthink it

Exactly. And as I said, if I could be sure that I could do successful ctb in a few years time, if what I dread happens, happens (sorry can't go into that right now) I would feel a lot easier in myself now and ironically less depressed

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
A lot of people feel suicidal but aren't 100% sure, myself for example. Many of people are like that on the site. I think everyone has a valid reason for not going through with it just as much as doing so.

I don't think it's overthinking, a lot of it might be survival instinct. Also we can all feel terrible, and like we want to die, but not be sufficiently motivated to end our lives right there and then. Sometimes things get better, we escape the current crisis, or we decide to just live with our problems and feelings too.

For a lot of people, because we don't know what happens afterwards, and it's impossible to know 100% even if we know what the most likely thing is, then that manifests as a "fear of death" and it's offputting as well. Like, at least while we're alive, we know what to expect. The unknown is scary.

Last edited:
A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024

The odds are against you no matter how you look at it. Suicide is hard to succeed at unless you have the right tools available to you and unless you are able to fight against your SI. Most people who attempt suicide fail.

Mental health charities, like a lot of charities, exist so that money hungry dumbasses and snatch a quick penny from well-meaning people. They don't care about mental illnesses.
But some people still successfully do it. I keep quoting Robin Williams as he was my favourite actor, but he did it. And many others. I was even reading where people hang themselves by accident with partial hanging (while attempting other things!!) So if that is true, it must be possible.

T

ThisGameIsOverrated

I need RCs
May 6, 2024
It all boils down to how huge the population is. If there was a way to truly compare failed to successful attempts it'd become obvious that those stats are misleading

• Love
Reactions: Forveleth
A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
But some people still successfully do it. I keep quoting Robin Williams as he was my favourite actor, but he did it. And many others. I was even reading where people hang themselves by accident with partial hanging (while attempting other things!!) So if that is true, it must be possible.
And bear in mind that a lot of people do suicide attempts without really meaning to end their life, it is a cry for help There are probably lots of those incidents in the statistics.... I was one of them once. So that should be born in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Euthanza, Forveleth, Goku Black and 1 other person
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Some people can also contort their bodies into weird poses but you wouldn't say that being a contortionist is easy, now would you? Some people hanging themselves on accident and Robin Williams succeeding doesn't disprove all the statistics showing that most people who attempt suicide fail. The odds are against most of us, especially those us who happen to be on the younger side.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I wouldn't call 20 to 25 attempts for 1 successful suicide easy or over thinking.

Reactions: Forveleth, Goku Black, thepiecessatup and 1 other person
A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
I wouldn't call 20 to 25 attempts for 1 successful suicide easy or over thinking.
But as I said, a lot of suicide attempts are not serious in totally wanting to end their life, the way some people are on here. I was one of those who did a half hearted attempt as a cry for help. That is obviously involved in a lot of the "20 - 25 attempts for every successful suicide" statistic. And overthinking is meant by just being determined to do it and doing it. The more you think about partial hanging and what could be involved, how much you know about it, the easier it is to back out. Robin Williams probably didn't even research it at all, just went for it. (No insult intended to anyone in this topic, suicide is obviously very difficult but there is still the fact that a lot of people succeed every day. So what are they doing right that other people aren't? I want to know as I am quite desperate now, and if I was confident I could succeed at the right time, I could live easier the next few years, again as I said.)

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Tortured by evil humans
Sep 24, 2020
I really envy those who managed to voluntarily end their own existence, they are the true fortunate ones to me. I wish suicide really isn't so difficult, it'd be such a relief to me if there's the option to just easily die in peace, I find it so cruel and horrible how we exist in such an anti-suicide society.

A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
I really envy those who managed to voluntarily end their own existence, they are the true fortunate ones to me. I wish suicide really isn't so difficult, it'd be such a relief to me if there's the option to just easily die in peace, I find it so cruel and horrible how we exist in such an anti-suicide society.
Survival instinct can seem so cruel, especially when for those of us who are mentally ill with depression etc, "survival" can be horrible and painful.
Survival instinct can seem so cruel, especially when for those of us who are mentally ill with depression etc, "survival" can be horrible and painful.
And when mental health services just follow a pattern for treatment for "recovery" and if people don't respond to that treatment, you're labelled as untreatable and a whole load of other things.
A lot of people feel suicidal but aren't 100% sure, myself for example. Many of people are like that on the site. I think everyone has a valid reason for not going through with it just as much as doing so.

I don't think it's overthinking, a lot of it might be survival instinct. Also we can all feel terrible, and like we want to die, but not be sufficiently motivated to end our lives right there and then. Sometimes things get better, we escape the current crisis, or we decide to just live with our problems and feelings too.

For a lot of people, because we don't know what happens afterwards, and it's impossible to know 100% even if we know what the most likely thing is, then that manifests as a "fear of death" and it's offputting as well. Like, at least while we're alive, we know what to expect. The unknown is scary.
Yes, survival instinct is a big issue, I meant "overthinking" as in thinking what is involved in hanging/partial hanging so as to put people off doing it (including myself here.) Whereas those who are desperate and succeed might not think of that before hand. As for not knowing what happens afterwards, I would not have that problem. (I know a lot of people of faith think suicide is a sin but as a "person of faith" myself I don't see it is any worse than any other sins people talk about. And would believe in an afterlife of the faith I have believed in while living here. But that is a whole other issue.

Last edited:
escape_from_hell

escape_from_hell

Experienced
Feb 22, 2024
It IS hard.
Which means there must be a hell of a lot of suffering out there to support such numbers.

• Aww..
Reactions: MidnightRain9, thepiecessatup and axab43
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
But as I said, a lot of suicide attempts are not serious in totally wanting to end their life, the way some people are on here. I was one of those who did a half hearted attempt as a cry for help. That is obviously involved in a lot of the "20 - 25 attempts for every successful suicide" statistic. And overthinking is meant by just being determined to do it and doing it. The more you think about partial hanging and what could be involved, how much you know about it, the easier it is to back out. Robin Williams probably didn't even research it at all, just went for it. (No insult intended to anyone in this topic, suicide is obviously very difficult but there is still the fact that a lot of people succeed every day. So what are they doing right that other people aren't? I want to know as I am quite desperate now, and if I was confident I could succeed at the right time, I could live easier the next few years, again as I said.)
Any and every attempt done with the intent of ending your life is considered a suicide attempt. That is what's included in the 20 to 1 ratio data. The fact is suicide is not an easy and straight forward thing to do. When you are attempting suicide you are fighting with a survival instinct that's been evolving for thousands of years to keep you alive in a world where suicide is condoned and painless effective guaranteed methods are slim to none. Desperately wanting to leave is just not enough. It would have made things a lot easier for all of us if it was.

Reactions: Goku Black
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
Well it's difficult to go through with it because of the fear of failure, the survival instinct, lack of options and not knowing what happens after death. I have tried hanging and it hasn't worked for me so far.

ham and potatoes

ham and potatoes

Just some hillbilly
Mar 27, 2024
im sure we are, hell, any of us could go buy a rope and hang ourselves, jump off a big bridge, or tie a bunch of weights to us and jump in a river,
But i think allot of us are looking for a more peaceful way out

A

axab43

Mar 10, 2024
im sure we are, hell, any of us could go buy a rope and hang ourselves, jump off a big bridge, or tie a bunch of weights to us and jump in a river,
But i think allot of us are looking for a more peaceful way out
Yes, absolutely but there have been some that have said partial hanging could be peaceful if done the right way. This post is because my mental health is getting worse and I am getting desperate. Not meant to judge any one.

Mental health charities, like a lot of charities, exist so that money hungry dumbasses and snatch a quick penny from well-meaning people. They don't care about mental illnesses. Shocking statistics help to get more people to donate and thus allows them to line their pockets. Suicide is hard but they don't care about suicide. They just want more money.
I don't agree that the mental health charities just care about money. The Samaritans are a lifeline for a lot of people, as are organisations like CALM. Some mental health charities might be but not all.

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
I really fckn hate suicide prevention, they are nothing more than delusional liars with crab mentality and savior syndrome... these so called Phd from Cambridge's and Oxford's alas the self proclaimed suicidologist more like suicidiot to me, that's for claiming to act out of love and compassion to reduce stigma on suicide but at the same time they will never ever legalize or voicing euthanasia (including assisted suicide, to avoid ambiguity) while actually spreading exactly the same stigma about suicide; Because that means they'll loose their main source of easy money, what a bunch of highly educated assholes.

There's no such thing as suicide prevention nor awareness without unconditional L.O.V.E (legal optional voluntary euthanasia)

Last edited:
Reactions: EvisceratedJester and Forveleth
Dark Window

Dark Window

Forest Wanderer
Mar 12, 2024
Lots of suicide attempts are unsuccessful. There are 800,000 suicides a year but they are probably a minority of people who attempted.

I'd guess that several million people attempt per year.

Many people try to overdose and only about 1/20 are successful.