Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Is it tanking so people will lose the will to live and off themselves? So we've got a pandemic, inflation, jobs that require years of experience without offering the opportunity to acquire that experience, housing prices are going up, the wage is stagnant, etc. The escapism industry meant to help people cope with a shit world is churning out subpar products.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment, ultrafuntimes and Fragile
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I think music is kind of at a high point right now, at least metal, harder genres, and edm. The artists are incredibly talented, and really blow away music from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.

Books are still pretty decent. I don't like how everything seems to be a series now like harry potter or twilight. But there are some good one-off scifi novels.

Movies and TV are where the disappointments lie. Everything is a sequel, reboot, or super hero story. Its because these are guaranteed money-makers. It's super risky for a studio to spend a lot on something that may lose money. Still, you get the occasional good Sci Fi or drama, Recently Ad Astra, The Outsider. Some sequels are pretty good - Bladerunner 2049 is better than the original by far (imo).

Reactions: y0dha and Weebster
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Movies and t.v. may be down, depending on how you look at it (I would agree that they are), but youtube is a bright spot. Certain channels such as BigDawsTv, Thatwasepic, and Mybeast do a lot of inspirational videos that really help other people. Example include Big dawws tipping $1000 each to a bumch of waitresses, Juan Gonzalez for Thatwasepic knocking on strangers doors and then paying their rent, and Mrbeast giving away a bunch of free cars and also completely furishing a new home and giving this new home to a person who was about to become homeless. Youtube has a lot of positive things if you know what to search for.

Reactions: Weebster
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Some sequels are pretty good - Bladerunner 2049 is better than the original by far (imo).
If you hadn't read the original source for the movies ("Do androids dream of electric sheep?"), I recommend the book.

Reactions: PreussenBlueJay
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
If you hadn't read the original source for the movies ("Do androids dream of electric sheep?"), I recommend the book.
It was great. All his books have you questioning what is real. I still remember the part with the chief saying "put him on." The movie missed a lot of that but maybe I was too dull to notice.

Reactions: whatevs
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It's not to "dumb down the public" .... It's simply giving the people what they request.
If you're unwilling to take responsibility for your own life and blame TV for your situation.
Most people don't want true detective, they want game shows, where everyone leaves with something, because they don't want to think about the injustices of this world, because it might mean they are obligated to contribute to ending the misery.