• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I think thats a matter of perspective 🤔
Just an example, I've tried 15 new ski resorts across the region this season. I go out every day (NOT the bar or whatever) to go exploring and do fun things. Another example, I drove across my state to tour a wind turbine farm with some technicians. I try to travel a lot. Thats just ME. But I think staying home all day can get repetitive and tedious. IMHO. I think home days can be nice but you need variety and to mix things up occasionally so they don't get stale.

Sorry to be such a constant contrarian on this forum but I don't want it to just be an echo chamber. I think honest discussion is good. And again, I do not judge whatever anyone chooses to do in their own life. I'm just giving you my personal choices, it's not a dogma.
Always love your cat memes Pluto! 🐈

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Traveling_With_Pusheen.gif

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
Just an example, I've tried 15 new ski resorts across the region this season. I go out every day (NOT the bar or whatever) to go exploring and do fun things. Another example, I drove across my state to tour a wind turbine farm with some technicians. I try to travel a lot. Thats just ME. But I think staying home all day can get repetitive and tedious. IMHO. I think home days can be nice but you need variety and to mix things up occasionally so they don't get stale.

Sorry to be such a constant contrarian on this forum but I don't want it to just be an echo chamber. I think honest discussion is good. And again, I do not judge whatever anyone chooses to do in their own life. I'm just giving you my personal choices, it's not a dogma.

Should I start an alcohol and cocaine addiction like Hunter?

Last edited:
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
one makes life boring
Wdym? Life itself is boring. There's no point to all of this. We exist to be slaves to capitalism and society. Anything else is just a meaningless cope from this cold, hard truth. Truth hurts, and ignorance is bliss. The "happy" people think that their life matters and there's a purpose for all of this, but it doesn't and there isn't.

Reactions: Passersby
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
you're supposed to do things to keep it from being boring, and for me life is raw.
The things that keep life from being boring are pointless and meaningless. They're just empty pleasures. They're coping mechanisms against the fact that there is no meaning of life

Sleeper System

Sleeper System

Z z Z z Z z Z z Z z Z
May 5, 2022

Don't apologize for having a small flame in this sea of eternal darkness. 😂 I too try not to be an echo chamber.

• Love
Reactions: DarkRange55
Temporal_Anchorite

Temporal_Anchorite

wanting outta this bitch
Sep 23, 2022
Do you find anything interesting or intellectually stimulating? Any specific topics that fascinate you? Any hobbies? Do you have some kind of creative outlet? Someplace you've always wanted to travel to or live? Any aspirations or dreams for the future, no matter how absurd or mundane? A person from your past you want to reconnect with? Any new music or artists you like? Any books or films that have captured your interest? Surely there must be something!

Reactions: sserafim
Wojaczek

Wojaczek

Student
Oct 24, 2021
The things that keep life from being boring are pointless and meaningless. They're just empty pleasures. They're coping mechanisms against the fact that there is no meaning of life
stop complaining about it then lol

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I hate this. I have so much stuff to do and wish I had time to do something else. When I have the time I have no motivation to even eat. It is constant boredom and disinterest of even existing. No option is fun.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Life has whatever meaning you find in it or ascribe to it.
I love my family. I don't think it's meaningless. I love helping animals. I love golf and skiing. I don't think it's meaningless. Perhaps something like a tryst or taking heroin is a momentary pleasure without fulfillment.
I think if there was an objective meaning of life, it could in some sense take away, at least for some people. I personally enjoy the fact that you get a blank page and life says color it in yourself and choose whatever you want to do with your life.

• Informative
untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
I love it when i have things to do its just the lack of pleasure I get from them. Or being demotivated in general. There is a lot to do in life, when you have the ability to do so.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Life has whatever meaning you find in it or ascribe to it.
I love my family. I don't think it's meaningless. I love helping animals. I love golf and skiing. I don't think it's meaningless. Perhaps something like a tryst or taking heroin is a momentary pleasure without fulfillment.
I think if there was an objective meaning of life, it could in some sense take away, at least for some people. I personally enjoy the fact that you get a blank page and life says color it in yourself and choose whatever you want to do with your life.
What if you don't love anyone or anything? Does that make life meaningless? I agree. Life is a masterpiece, I'm gonna draw my future like Picasso

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
What if you don't love anyone or anything? Does that make life meaningless? I agree. Life is a masterpiece, I'm gonna draw my future like Picasso
Humanity- the broken masterpiece.

Sigmund Freud in his book Civilization and its Discontents, probably the greatest book nobody knows about. In the second chapter he says, what is the purpose of life? He said, this is a question thats been asked without end by millions of people. By great philosophers. And he said, it seems nobody has an answer. Because maybe there is no answer. But he said, as for the behavior of men and woman, we can ascertain that they seek pleasure and avoid pain or simply they seek happiness. But I have a more nuanced answer. I've thought a lot about this. I would say the purpose of life is love, but not Hollywood love, not what everybody talks about. I even hate to say the word love. Its actually the words social life. And I'm not talking about the purpose of life after death. Thats not something I know much about. But as to the purpose of life on earth, I'd say its social/love. Love breaks into three subsets. Friends, family, romance. I would say, as a practical matter, the purpose of life is friends, family, romance. Which you can call that love, there's three types of love in old Greek or Latin. There's agape, eros and phileo in life. Agape is like family love, unconditional love you have for your kids. Phileo is like the friendship love. It's like the saying there's no greater love than you would lay down your life. I'd lay down my life, I think, for some of my friends. And then you have eros. Thats where the word erotic comes from. Thats romance, thats sexual love. Thats what makes the world go round.
I would say the purpose on life, a simpler version is social or love.
I would slightly disagree with Sigmund Freud if I may, even though I consider him such an underrated person. So many people in the modern world - oh, didn't he say the id, the super ego hasn't this guy's methodologies and hypotheses been disproven? Yeah, that was in late 1800's, early 1900's. But I don't think I've read anyone at some level more genius than what he wrote. The simplicity that he laid out super complex subjects. But if you think about this, happiness, he said, it seems by the behavior of humans that we seek happiness. We may seek it, but it doesn't mean its the purpose. Happiness is the fuel that allows you to get out of bed. But ultimately, humans are social creatures. There's a great book by Matt Lieberman, former Harvard, now he's at UCLA, a neuroscientist, and he has all this advanced research he's done with FMRI machines, where you study the brain function. It's all social. We dream about social situations. Our fears are social, our ambitions are social, our appetites are rooted in social. So if you read that book Social by Matt Lieberman, everything is social. So the purpose of life at an FMRI level functional magnetic resonance imaging machine. When you study the brain, no matter what people say, the scans don't lie. We think in social terms, we live in social terms. The great Greek billionaire Onassis who married JFK's widow. He said all the money in the world doesn't matter if there wasn't women. That was his take on it. But if you read deeper, he was saying that at a core level, the other pillars of the good life, health, wealth and happiness, they exist to support your movement towards a better social life.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Humanity- the broken masterpiece.

Sigmund Freud in his book Civilization and its Discontents, probably the greatest book nobody knows about. In the second chapter he says, what is the purpose of life? He said, this is a question thats been asked without end by millions of people. By great philosophers. And he said, it seems nobody has an answer. Because maybe there is no answer. But he said, as for the behavior of men and woman, we can ascertain that they seek pleasure and avoid pain or simply they seek happiness. But I have a more nuanced answer. I've thought a lot about this. I would say the purpose of life is love, but not Hollywood love, not what everybody talks about. I even hate to say the word love. Its actually the words social life. And I'm not talking about the purpose of life after death. Thats not something I know much about. But as to the purpose of life on earth, I'd say its social/love. Love breaks into three subsets. Friends, family, romance. I would say, as a practical matter, the purpose of life is friends, family, romance. Which you can call that love, there's three types of love in old Greek or Latin. There's agape, eros and phileo in life. Agape is like family love, unconditional love you have for your kids. Phileo is like the friendship love. It's like the saying there's no greater love than you would lay down your life. I'd lay down my life, I think, for some of my friends. And then you have eros. Thats where the word erotic comes from. Thats romance, thats sexual love. Thats what makes the world go round.
I would say the purpose on life, a simpler version is social or love.
I would slightly disagree with Sigmund Freud if I may, even though I consider him such an underrated person. So many people in the modern world - oh, didn't he say the id, the super ego hasn't this guy's methodologies and hypotheses been disproven? Yeah, that was in late 1800's, early 1900's. But I don't think I've read anyone at some level more genius than what he wrote. The simplicity that he laid out super complex subjects. But if you think about this, happiness, he said, it seems by the behavior of humans that we seek happiness. We may seek it, but it doesn't mean its the purpose. Happiness is the fuel that allows you to get out of bed. But ultimately, humans are social creatures. There's a great book by Matt Lieberman, former Harvard, now he's at UCLA, a neuroscientist, and he has all this advanced research he's done with FMRI machines, where you study the brain function. It's all social. We dream about social situations. Our fears are social, our ambitions are social, our appetites are rooted in social. So if you read that book Social by Matt Lieberman, everything is social. So the purpose of life at an FMRI level functional magnetic resonance imaging machine. When you study the brain, no matter what people say, the scans don't lie. We think in social terms, we live in social terms. The great Greek billionaire Onassis who married JFK's widow. He said all the money in the world doesn't matter if there wasn't women. That was his take on it. But if you read deeper, he was saying that at a core level, the other pillars of the good life, health, wealth and happiness, they exist to support your movement towards a better social life.
What if you don't like social?

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
This is more so an observation rather than a response, per se, its funny that you post a lot (as do I) on an online forum and communicate with the minds of many people on here 🤔
I think the "meaning of life" is whatever you choose it to be. We make our own meaning. You could even choose none or nothing if you're some sort of nihilist but thats very logically beneficial. But if you were so inclined. You could also phrase it as, what do you want to do with your life. Not really a meaning or purpose. It's just what do you want to do with your life. Again, thats up to the individual. Aught, self discovery, knowledge, experience, helping others, seeking pleasure.
Scientists say that your brain works with 25 cognitive biases. These are triggers in your mind. It's called heuristics (oversimplification for fellow nitpickers). Those are the decision making trees that you use to make sense out of life and out of 25 the strongest is what they call the reward bias. It's what the famous psychologist Sigmund Freud calls, "our urge to eliminate pain and discomfort and experience intense pleasure."

For me, its a mix of, a little bit of materialistic things, some non-materialistic things like freedom and travel. Ability to help other people, my family, help charity. That mix gets me out of bed everyday. I enjoy a life of freedom, I love a life of travel. I like nature so I like be around farms but I also like the excitement of a city, so I also wanna be around a city.

*Generally* speaking humans are motivated by one of the four M's: mastery (being recognized for a skill), momentum/movement (always doing something and being free), money/material (wealth, ect), mating (woman/dating/sex). Typically people have a primary and a secondary motivator. Jeff Bezos is motivated by building the biggest company, Picasso by being the best artist, explorers by pioneering, ect. Not always but *usually.*
I know you're a fervent antinatalist but I'm just giving you context. For a lot of people, their kids and grandkids become their sense of higher purpose. As you get older and can't do as many things, the pursuit of knowledge becomes something that really keeps some people going.

Last edited:
  • Informative
M

mars_b4rz

Mar 2, 2023
I'm going to be the biggest hypocrite in the world by stating this because it's so much easier said than done honestly but just....

Try and do shit that breaks your comfort zone in ways that you could see yourself valuing from potential growth. I started marathon running a while back and honestly, I think I'd run 10 marathons before doing something as benign as asking a girl out lmao but it's the stuff like that that holds all the keys to growth in life
I'm going to be the biggest hypocrite in the world by stating this because it's so much easier said than done honestly but just....

Try and do shit that breaks your comfort zone in ways that you could see yourself valuing from potential growth. I started marathon running a while back and honestly, I think I'd run 10 marathons before doing something as benign as asking a girl out lmao but it's the stuff like that that holds all the keys to growth in life