justaquicksnooze

justaquicksnooze

Mar 7, 2023
I finally decided to reach out and seek mental health support from my university and been put on a pretty long waitlist for an assesment. I was expecting this, I probably could've moved up the waitlist a bit more if I hadn't lied about not having suicidal thoughts, but I would've got the emergency services called on me if I had admitted it.

I also tried looking around at the services offered in my local area by the biggest mental health charity in my area. Turns out there is basically zero support in my area for some bizarre administrative reason, the only service they offer is only for people who self harm. Like what do they want me to do, start cutting myself so I can finally see a mental health professional?? Tbh it seems like the fastest way to access support bar an actual suicide attempt.

It's just really frustrating given that this charity is massive and receives tons of funding and donations, and yet it seems to all go to national campaigns and 'awareness' that do fuck all to help people. The local chapters that are actually supposed to support the mentally ill are underfunded and super fucking unhelpful.

Sorry about the rant. It's just incredibly discouraging that everyone tells you to reach out and seek help and therapy, but when you actually try it there are so many barriers and administrative bullshit, and I'm probably in a better position than 90% of people, since I managed to get on a waitlist through uni. It just makes me want to give up even more, like the universe is telling me that I should probably just ctb and save myself the stress and anxiety of it all.

• Hugs
Reactions: Citruscine, LittleJem and looseye
YourAverageLurker

YourAverageLurker

forgotten
Mar 30, 2023
Yikes. That is some bizarre administration who seem like they retroactively cant do their proper jobs. Perhaps using another support type would be best? There's numerous text numbers/phone numbers for crisis and I may be able to find some free weekly 1:1 support online? Let me know if your interested in any of that and I believe there may be a megathread with resources as-well. Other then that sorry to hear about your situation and I would advise against getting 10-13'd (institutionalized on suicide threats) it'll just may your situation a whole hell of a lot worse.

justaquicksnooze

justaquicksnooze

Mar 7, 2023
Yikes. That is some bizarre administration who seem like they retroactively cant do their proper jobs. Perhaps using another support type would be best? There's numerous text numbers/phone numbers for crisis and I may be able to find some free weekly 1:1 support online? Let me know if your interested in any of that and I believe there may be a megathread with resources as-well. Other then that sorry to hear about your situation and I would advise against getting 10-13'd (institutionalized on suicide threats) it'll just may your situation a whole hell of a lot worse.
Yeah I was pretty shocked about it, especially since the charity has such a good reputation. A chapter for a different area essentially got my hometown tacked onto their region a couple years back, but they still only offer services to residents of their original area and completely exclude anyone from where I live.

Thank you for the offer of support resources, I'm not too big on hotlines, but I'd definitely be interested in online support if it's available.

YourAverageLurker

YourAverageLurker

forgotten
Mar 30, 2023
Yeah I was pretty shocked about it, especially since the charity has such a good reputation. A chapter for a different area essentially got my hometown tacked onto their region a couple years back, but they still only offer services to residents of their original area and completely exclude anyone from where I live.

Thank you for the offer of support resources, I'm not too big on hotlines, but I'd definitely be interested in online support if it's available.
Sure thing, I'll do some digging and if I find anything promising I'll forward it to you, I wish you luck with the charity despite it's bad first impressions.

Reactions: justaquicksnooze
Brainslushy

Brainslushy

sigh
Feb 18, 2023
mental health care is almost non-existent for adults. it's frustrating knowing how much help was available to me growing up yet I couldn't bring myself to seek help until later.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Even if you find it they're very limited in what they can do. Their field unfortunately is still in it's infancy.