nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
Just a heads up that I don't believe drug use or suicide is selfish. People have a right to do whatever they want with their body. But I find it really weird that drug use like suicide can devastate families financially when the person steals or when a person overdoses and dies. The interesting this is, most normies never think drug use is selfish.

What I'm saying is that when you ask someone why not to do drugs, they say "It'll ruin your life". In other words, they only focus on the consequences for yourself. When you talk about why you shouldn't suicide, almost always it's about other people.

Can someone explain this?

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Interesting topic. Maybe with suicide people are only interested in their own feelings and want a clear conscious. I find that a lot of people feel the need to try and save everyone and I don't believe it's because they genuinely care but more so so they don't have to feel bad.

Reactions: MagentaScorpio, Bct and Fragile
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
It really depends on the drug, but most of the people i've meat consider hard drug use as something very selfish. just like you said addiction leads to behaviors like stealing from loved ones, having an abusive personality and health issues that tend to burden a family.

the difference between suicide and drug use is that suicide is something that shocks people, most don't expect that a loved one actually goes through with their suicide. drugs are something slow, a process that often takes years and those around you get used to it in a fucked up way, and at the end of the day, they still have you and have the ever-present hope of a miraculous recovery. there is no recovery once you are dead.

Reactions: FusRohDracarys, social_anxiety_sucks and GoodPersonEffed
SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
I'd wager half of suicidal people are only still around due to their worry of hurting someone else when they go. The selfish thing has always bugged me, it's an easy trope for those that don't understand to peddle from their soapbox. Or someone else being selfish and thinking of their own grief because they lost a loved one, they themselves don't see the hypocrisy in that.

Attachments

• what-makes-suicide-selfish-maybe-whats-selfish-is-making-someone-5993002.png
    what-makes-suicide-selfish-maybe-whats-selfish-is-making-someone-5993002.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Bct, FusRohDracarys and Fragile
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
It is considered selfish, if it deprives society of your functioning in the way it wants you to function. Thus heroin = bad, prozac = good; LSD = bad, television = good.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
It really depends on the drug, but most of the people i've meat consider hard drug use as something very selfish. just like you said addiction leads to behaviors like stealing from loved ones, having an abusive personality and health issues that tend to burden a family.

the difference between suicide and drug use is that suicide is something that shocks people, most don't expect that a loved one actually goes through with their suicide. drugs are something slow, a process that often takes years and those around you get used to it in a fucked up way, and at the end of the day, they still have you and have the ever-present hope of a miraculous recovery. there is no recovery once you are dead.

This comment almost makes me wish we had upvotes.

Reactions: Fragile
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
This comment almost makes me wish we had upvotes.

aw, i feel the same way about most of your posts/comments.

but the further away that we stay from a reddit-like system the better.

• Love
Reactions: MagentaScorpio and GoodPersonEffed
Iamnotperminant92

Iamnotperminant92

Alien visitor
May 4, 2020
It is an emotional reaction mostly though I would say Heroin gets a similar reaction to suicide as most people hearing their loved ones using heroin would be afraid of said loved one being found dead in a bathroom stall or something like that. It's safe to say Heroin is viewed much differently from Weed or even cocaine.

As far as the double standard goes - an addict is perceived as having a string of moral failures especially if the addiction creates toxic behaviors. People are more likely to assume a suicidal person has potential benefit to society which is robbed at death. As misunderstood as mental health is, so is suicide. People are less likely to assume a long history of suicidality/depression or neuroatypicality.

TL;DR. Low expectations for drug addicts vs wishful thinking backed high expectations for suicidal people

Last edited:
Reactions: Bct