• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Pressure and friction will increase the pre-melted layer on ice, but it exists even without
those:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41570-019-0080-8/

My understanding is that skates work less well at very cold temperatures. I do not know if they would stop working altogether.

Skis work because the friction heats up the snow melting it (similar to ice skates), thats why you wax skis. Similar to how an avalanche works - its melting the snow with heat as its moving which creates less friction. Plus a vacuum effect of pushing the air in front out back accelerates it. Its not one mass, it acts as a fluid (snow vs the clumping of dirt and rock), so the stuff from the front can get to the back. Basically it can leapfrog and and pull stuff in behind it like a self feeding loop. The front pushes air out which can make it faster than free-fall (up to 200mph).

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
ChatGPT in the building 😂 jk
ChatGPT is much more articulate and provides a summary at the end. My manner of speech is much more clunky. A lot of times I am speaking extemporaneously. Then again, I could just be a bot 😉
Let's do an experiment and see what ChatGPT says for this question…
ChatGPT in the building 😂 jk
ChatGPT is much more articulate and provides a summary at the end. My manner of speech is much more clunky. A lot of times I am speaking extemporaneously. Then again, I could just be a bot 😉

As you can see, it only got about half of the equation because recirculation pumps and pipes (link above) are very important as a factor. It was so much less detailed.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023

View attachment 130922

As you can see, it only got about half of the equation because recirculation pumps and pipes (link above) are very important as a factor. It was so much less detailed.
"Beep boop, I'm a bot 🤖 ." - DarkRange55

• Yay!
Reactions: DarkRange55
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

View attachment 130922

Maybe just for you I'll change my name to Skynet

• Yay!
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
Pressure and friction will increase the pre-melted layer on ice, but it exists even without
those:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41570-019-0080-8/

My understanding is that skates work less well at very cold temperatures. I do not know if they would stop working altogether.

Skis work because the friction heats up the snow melting it (similar to ice skates), thats why you wax skis. Similar to how an avalanche works - its melting the snow with heat as its moving which creates less friction. Plus a vacuum effect of pushing the air in front out back accelerates it. Its not one mass, it acts as a fluid (snow vs the clumping of dirt and rock), so the stuff from the front can get to the back. Basically it can leapfrog and and pull stuff in behind it like a self feeding loop. The front pushes air out which can make it faster than free-fall (up to 200mph).
What does this have to do with this forum?

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Directly probably nothing lol 🤷‍♀️
Indirectly, I've had quite a few people tell me they enjoy these random bits of knowledge. This is also the off-topic forum.
How does this relate? 🤷‍♀️
I would just say if you're not interested, don't read it
I would also argue that indirectly it's related because it is a distraction from the fires of life. But again, if you're not interested, then just don't waste your time…

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The weirder thing is, I never really thought about it. So, if a lake sloped, do you think it would be the same sort of deal? I mean- people water ski right?

I guess I just assumed it was surface area- why you don't sink with ski's on. Or- do you? Ice makes more sense though- being solid and the skate blade cutting a grove for grip type thing. I guess I'm thinking of being able to stand on it though rather than move along smoothly.

I used to walk in a nearby park a lot and there were all these weird little holes in the path and then one day, someone came whooshing past on really big rollerblades propelling themselves along with spiked poles. Like, dry skiing. Another person came running past dragging along a tyre once. I felt like saying- if I borrow that other guys rollerblades, you can give me a tow.

4am

4am

there’s nothing for you.
Dec 14, 2023

View attachment 130922

that's how we know you aren't ai, ai would never text and drive

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
that's how we know you aren't ai, ai would never text and drive
Lmao - well does speak-to-text with Siri count as AI texting and driving? 😂