• I like / don't mind using it

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • I prefer to call it something else

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
I don't mind people using the phrase, but personally I prefer to just talk about "suicide" or "ending one's life". It seems more appropriate to call it what it is, instead of using a silly little internet lingo euphemism. It is a serious topic after all. What do you think?

Also, does somebody know where this phrase originated?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
an absurd argument. : extremely silly and ridiculous.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't mind it personally, whether it's referred to as suicide or ctb it means the same thing after all.

Reactions: murun_b
Mx_Pathetic

Mx_Pathetic

Delete
May 8, 2023
I don't mind people using the phrase, but personally I prefer to just talk about "suicide" or "ending one's life". It seems more appropriate to call it what it is, instead of using a silly little internet lingo euphemism. It is a serious topic after all. What do you think?

Also, does somebody know where this phrase originated?
I didn't know anything about the phrase "ctb" I always used the word "suicide". However suicide is classified as a "bad thing" and usually when people let someone know that's how they feel they're out on some type of drug or locked away. However "ctb" sounds more peaceful to me, sounds more freeing. Saying it in a public place for instance, people wouldn't look at you like your crazy or "suicidal" cause most people don't know what "ctb" means.
I think ctb is more accepting in a way for people. Idk if I'm just blabbering rn lol I'm half asleep. Hopefully this makes a little bit of sense.

• Love
Reactions: kvsvenky100 and murun_b
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
an absurd argument. : extremely silly and ridiculous.
I'm not arguing for anything, just expressing how I feel. You're allowed to find that ridiculous, but you could also keep that to yourself :)
I don't mind it personally, whether it's referred to as suicide or ctb it means the same thing after all.
True, I guess
I believe it came from the usenet group alt.suicide.holiday.
It comes from a usenet group? So it's ancient history hahaha
However suicide is classified as a "bad thing"
However "ctb" sounds more peaceful to me, sounds more freeing.
Yea, I see what you are saying. For me, "suicide" has a neutral descriptive connotation

Last edited:
Reactions: Interestedsadboi25
leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
I prefer just calling it suicide. It feels like when I call it CTB I'm self-censoring.
I do, however, deviate from the norm by calling people "self-annihilators" rather than "suicide victims", because I find the concept of being a "suicide victim" absurd. If anything, suicide was the way out of the shit they were really a victim of. I tried to think of an alternative, "self-annihilator" was the first that came to me, it stuck with me. I suppose it appeals to me specifically because I prefer more violent methods rather than peaceful ones, I doubt someone who wants to just take some substance and quietly drift off would want to call themselves a "self-annihilator". If anyone has ever come up with a better term for people who commit suicide than "suicide victim" or my own "self-annihilator" I would sure like to hear it.

• Love
  • Hmph!
Reactions: kvsvenky100, murun_b and loopdaloop
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
I prefer just calling it suicide. It feels like when I call it CTB I'm self-censoring.
I do, however, deviate from the norm by calling people "self-annihilators" rather than "suicide victims", because I find the concept of being a "suicide victim" absurd. If anything, suicide was the way out of the shit they were really a victim of. I tried to think of an alternative, "self-annihilator" was the first that came to me, it stuck with me. I suppose it appeals to me specifically because I prefer more violent methods rather than peaceful ones, I doubt someone who wants to just take some substance and quietly drift off would want to call themselves a "self-annihilator". If anyone has ever come up with a better term for people who commit suicide than "suicide victim" or my own "self-annihilator" I would sure like to hear it.
Yea, calling people who ended their lifes "victims" denies them the recognition that is was an autonomous choice. In that respect I like the German expression "Freitod" which stresses the free choice involved in the act

Last edited:
Reactions: chloramine