day

day

Global Mod
Jun 24, 2023
I mean I like arknights as sad as that may sound lol. I remember being crucified in highschool for liking anime and cosplay and now it's kinda just the norm. No problem with that though.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and bedhead_baby
morbidtoby

morbidtoby

sleeping forevermore? sounds like a dream.
Jul 25, 2023
cant relate I'm a cat :P

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: binturong, Skathon, not-2-b-the-answer and 3 others
Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
This is cap :).

Also probably cuz we be at the crib too much. Or maybe cuz people just associate to characters or like how specific anime models match our ideal versions of ourselves.

That or human just horny and 2d girl go brrr

• Yay!
Reactions: SleepyRobloxGrl and not-2-b-the-answer
NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
Anime is a good form of self expression as the medium itself is hyper expressive. Having a picture of something you like as a profile picture is pretty common. Anime has also became much more popular over the years and in my experience more popular in more nerdy or tech-savy spaces.

This place isn't all too popular so you'd assume there's already a pretty big chunk of us being tech-savy. There's also ~10% of the forum being trans and anime being a massive part of the bigger trans communities.

Anime is also popular in several mental illness spaces like meme pages. I've seen a few called 'Memes on Anime Girls' that is pretty much a vent on an anime picture.

It probably boils down to anime being popular in other groups that are also appealing to the community. Personally I love anime as I really enjoy the more expressive nature of it, I think it might be because of my autism which also is quite common here.

Reactions: binturong, not-2-b-the-answer and Rocinante
jaxxon_sunn

jaxxon_sunn

Un jour je serai de retour près de toi
May 10, 2023
I like anime and I put it as a pfp to maybe meet people who like the same shows I do. I can also see who has pfps as characters I like and we can talk about that.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Sweet Tart
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
I haven't watched anime but I'm aware it's popular, so I'm not surprised to see it here. I enjoy seeing anime PFPs and really identify people here as their PFP, whether or not it's a realistic image.

I'm not cool or young enough to vibe with it for myself. I'm just a crazy cat lady. Another person with a non anime PFP responding, lol...

• Hugs
Reactions: binturong, not-2-b-the-answer, bedhead_baby and 1 other person
bedhead_baby

bedhead_baby

stupid selfish baby
Jul 16, 2023
This is cap :).

Also probably cuz we be at the crib too much. Or maybe cuz people just associate to characters or like how specific anime models match our ideal versions of ourselves.

That or human just horny and 2d girl go brrr
2d girl go brrr :D

SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I used the AI filter on social media to make an anime version of myself 😂
I used the AI filter on social media to make an anime version of myself 😂
which is funny that I just found this thread bc I was literally about to change it.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Love this... Made me laugh.
Even though I didn't choose an anime pfps.

Reactions: binturong
sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
I don't but having a kpop pfp is probably worse

• Yay!
Reactions: worldsapart, psp3000 and bedhead_baby
PyramidHead

PyramidHead

Apr 27, 2023
I have anime pfp nearly everywhere but here lol

brainwormz

brainwormz

Based cringelord
Jul 18, 2023
Anonymous y'know? I'm just one of a million edgy losers who identify with hooni. This is a controversial place. I assume most of us are trying to keep it compartmentalized from our more public lives. Signing up advisses good practice such as a username you've never used and a fresh email address.

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Ironically enough, I changed my profile picture yesterday from fanart of an anime-style video game that wasn't drawn in an anime style (as in the original was anime style but the fan art wasn't), to an anime-style fanart of a video game that isn't anime-style.
And there goes my plausible deniability! Now I can't argue "well I don't have anime profile pic" and the only way people would be able to prove me wrong is if they knew where it was from, exposing them as a weeb as well!
In any case, people usually set profile pictures of either people or from things they're interested in. Anime does both by providing a character from a show you're interested in. This especially works in a social media where one would care about their anonymity or at least isn't forced to give their identity, such as here.
I would also point out that anime has been seen as something losers watch for most of its existence, especially in the West, however now it's more popular and accepted/mainstream so this no longer applies to an extent. Though it still sort of makes sense, how something looked down upon for most of its lifespan would be enjoyed by a large amount of people who are on the fringes of/cast out of society.

bedhead_baby

bedhead_baby

stupid selfish baby
Jul 16, 2023
Ironically enough, I changed my profile picture yesterday from fana art of an anime-style video game that wasn't drawn in an anime style (as in the original was anime style but the fan art wasn't), to an anime-style fanart of a video game that isn't anime-style.
And there goes my plausible deniability! Now I can't argue "well I don't have anime profile pic" and the only way people would be able to prove me wrong is if they knew where it was from, exposing them as a weeb as well!
In any case, people usually set profile pictures of either people or from things they're interested in. Anime does both by providing a character from a show you're interested in. This especially works in a social media where one would care about their anonymity or at least isn't forced to give their identity, such as here.
I would also point out that anime has been seen as something losers watch for most of its existence, especially in the West, however now it's more popular and accepted/mainstream so this no longer applies to an extent. Though it still sort of makes sense, how something looked down upon for most of its lifespan would be enjoyed by a large amount of people who are on the fringes of/cast out of society.
Bro wrote me a scientific paper

bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
i don't! doesn't mean i don't like anime tho :)

• Love
Reactions: psp3000
wristcutangel

wristcutangel

What value is there to a life that wants to end?
Jul 5, 2023
a character whose only trait is being suicidal and name is literally bus-chan was too good of an opportunity to pass up using as a pfp here.

R

ryzeninside25

Aug 19, 2023
Hey, some of us are too lazy to change our picture from the default to an anime character

ChronicallyCynical

ChronicallyCynical

Natural pessimist, born quitter.
Sep 9, 2023
I'm a weeb, go figure.

CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
I'm guessing a large number of people who are dealing with some form of depression and/or loneliness. They've found anime numbs it and almost looks like they're addicted to anime. They then chose a character they like.