Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
Well both eclipses were partial where I am. I also find space interesting but I don't see a need to watch the eclipse myself when I can just watch it on TV or something
You don't understand, it looks different in real life than on camera for a total eclipse. People here trying to downplay its spectacularity sound fake af/edgelords or intentionally negative for no reason.
I never pay attention to those things.
I don't see the point of watching an eclipse if you can't see the sun and can't get glasses. All I saw today was that the sky darkened a bit as if it were cloudy or as if you were filtering the sun.
The sky doesn't just get "cloudy" it becomes night in a total eclipse. You can see the stars. In the moments before and after totality, it's like being in a film with filtered light, it's like the brightness is being turned down but the shadows aren't increasing. It's only after the totality that your shadow begins to dance and appears incredibly sharp. Dimness slowly goes away and eventually the light returns to max brightness.
Cloudiness strips away that direct sunlight look and disperses the light. A total solar eclipse doesn't. It literally lowers max brightness without affecting shadows. the colours weren't washed out like overcast cloudy is.
It's a normie thing.
I would say most people with mental illnesses enjoy it, too.
I made a gif of what I saw happen to the colours.
Totality colour effects
Red and green also looks weird during the eclipse but I can't replicate it in this image.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, falling_snow and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
You don't understand, it looks different in real life than on camera for a total eclipse. People here trying to downplay its spectacularity sound fake af/edgelords or intentionally negative for no reason.

The sky doesn't just get "cloudy" it becomes night in a total eclipse. You can see the stars. In the moments before and after totality, it's like being in a film with filtered light, it's like the brightness is being turned down but the shadows aren't increasing. It's only after the totality that your shadow begins to dance and appears incredibly sharp. Dimness slowly goes away and eventually the light returns to max brightness.
Cloudiness strips away that direct sunlight look and disperses the light. A total solar eclipse doesn't. It literally lowers max brightness without affecting shadows. the colours weren't washed out like overcast cloudy is.

I would say most people with mental illnesses enjoy it, too.
I made a gif of what I saw happen to the colours.
View attachment 134855
Red and green also looks weird during the eclipse but I can't replicate it in this image.
this is overcast
View attachment 134856
The way how everyone on TV had the same reaction to the total eclipse (awe, wonder, amazement) was interesting. It actually made me less interested in the eclipse (even though mine was only partial), and want to do the opposite. If I were there, I would look apathetic and not care (to be different just for kicks). It's interesting how crowds work and how they become a hive mind. I like to do the opposite of what the crowd does (because it's fun lol)

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Rocinante, Praestat_Mori and Unicr0n
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
The way how everyone on TV had the same reaction to the total eclipse (awe, wonder, amazement) was interesting. It actually made me less interested in the eclipse (even though mine was only partial), and want to do the opposite. If I were there, I would look apathetic and not care (to be different just for kicks). It's interesting how crowds work and how they become a hive mind. I like to do the opposite of what the crowd does (because it's fun lol)
You're a contrarian; you intentionally deprive yourself of enjoying life by doing so. I forced myself to stop being so contrarian when I realised it made me so unhappy. It's not a hive mind to find the total solar eclipse amazing. Most people never witness one in their lifetime, including the total stranger centenarians that I talked to who watched it with me. It's like the cringelords saying it's not cool. "I'm not gonna enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime event cuz everyone else is" okay lmao u do u booboo be fake!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and sserafim
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I was like this as a teenager and this didn't make me happy. Trying to do the opposite of what the crowd does, thinking it made me better than them, that didn't make me happy. What made me happy was doing what I wanted, and what I didn't want, regardless of what was popular or not. Caring about what's popular and isn't, whether you're being a trendoid or a contrarian, is silly imo. Just do what you like. And if you happen to not be excited for whatever is popular, then just let it be that, that's fine. Just imo being contrarian or being a trendoid is being dishonest.

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, sserafim and Unicr0n
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I was like this as a teenager and this didn't make me happy. Trying to do the opposite of what the crowd does, thinking it made me better than them, that didn't make me happy. What made me happy was doing what I wanted, and what I didn't want, regardless of what was popular or not. Caring about what's popular and isn't, whether you're being a trendoid or a contrarian, is silly imo. Just do what you like. And if you happen to not be excited for whatever is popular, then just let it be that, that's fine. Just imo being contrarian or being a trendoid is being dishonest.
I don't want to do what the crowd does though. I have like an instinctual urge to defy. I think it's subconscious. I don't like what's popular

Reactions: Rocinante
Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
I don't want to do what the crowd does though. I have like an instinctual urge to defy. I think it's subconscious. I don't like what's popular
>has a photo of NewJeans in pfp, K-POP groupie
>doesn't like popular
pick one

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Then just let it be that. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Just as long as you're not depriving yourself of something you actually like because you feel it makes you unique and special. I've been there before, and I've seen others do it too and it can get ugly. I once remember seeing a guy being contrarian about a TV show that was popular and it got so bad that he started bullying people just for liking the show. Not saying you're doing that, but I am saying that's what I've seen and how being contrarian can get ugly.

Calling people a hive mind just for being excited about the solar eclipse is unfair. It comes across as being judgemental for no good reason. How do you know they're only excited because everyone else is? Did they tell you? I don't find it exciting because everyone else is, I find it exciting because I think it looks cool. I find anything to do with the sun, stars, moon, etc exciting because I love nature. I'm not hopping on any trends. Doing anything that is the opposite of conformity is, imo, another form of conformity. You're putting limits on yourself and those limits can be arbitrary. You're being a rebel without a cause. And in some cases, not all, but in some, it can be a sign of insecurity.

I think it's more healthy to go "Eh, I'm not really interested in the solar eclipse, cool if you are tho." Versus acting like people are being a hive mind just for finding it interesting.

>has a photo of NewJeans in pfp, K-POP groupie
>doesn't like popular
pick one
I was actually thinking the same thing, haha.

Nothing wrong with liking K-POP tho, if that's your jam, that's cool. It's not my thing for the most part, but there are some K-POP songs/artists I like.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Unicr0n, moshimoshi and 1 other person