V

V0latile

And God decreed, “Coronavirus spread forth!”
Sep 24, 2019
Also, how do I stop caring about being judged so harshly if I decide to ctb? It's a big part of why I'm still alive. I hate people I know not understanding exactly why I may ctb and expecting no judgement.

• Hugs
Reactions: imacrybaby, itsamadworld, Lunaloveflood and 12 others
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
My opinion. Unless you are sleeping with the person or if they are paying your bills, why do you care what strangers think about you?

• Love
Reactions: littlered1497, imacrybaby, Buffy5120 and 16 others
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
That's because they are not in our shoes.

• Love
Reactions: imacrybaby, Buffy5120, meowcat and 16 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I'm sorry you're feeling both suicidal and harshly judged, and misunderstood as well. Are these people who judge you in your daily life as well? Who appointed them?

Other people are only other people. They don't have any special insights that make their opinions more meaningful than yours. Quite the opposite in most cases.

(((Hugs)))

• Love
Reactions: imacrybaby, Lunaloveflood, Dystopic_Momento and 9 others
OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
They are privileged, that's why. It's an exercise in futility to try and make normal people understand, much less ones that don't actually care about your situation.

• Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, itsamadworld, Alec and 14 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Because they were never in your shoes.

• Love
Reactions: itsamadworld, Buffy5120, Nemeshisu and 6 others
Flume

Flume

Villain
Oct 28, 2019
You can't control what others think or feel. Trust me I've fucknig tried... at some point you just have to let go. I know, that I'll be called sick in the head when I leave. I know, that people will be mad and put all the blame on me... a dead guy that has nothing to say anymore, literally completely defenseless. But what can I do about it? Nothing... so I don't, I don't do anything. I just try to accept the fact that I'll be misunderstood till the grave. And this is not easy... but what else is it I can do.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sadworld, itsamadworld, PrettyMoose and 14 others
LMLN

LMLN

Paragon
Aug 10, 2019
People don't understand until they have been there. I never did understand until recently. Now I know and feel so bad that I was not able to have the compassion for others I should have.
They simply will not understand so I think its pointless to try.
When people judge others I think it's out of ignorance and maybe fear. It's easier to just call somebody a bad person than go deeper to understand. What's uncovered can be too scary for some people

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PrettyMoose, Buffy5120, Nemeshisu and 12 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Many answers and replies are good, and also I would like to add that religious influence and bias shapes the non-suicidal's opinions and thinking.

@LMLN mentioned a good point, probably most non-suicidal people "don't want to understand" and rather be ignorant as a way of coping with their reality. In their eyes "if I don't know about it, then it isn't a problem", in other words, out of sight out of mind.

• Love
Reactions: itsamadworld, PrettyMoose, Buffy5120 and 9 others
cantthinkofanickname

cantthinkofanickname

I don't believe in me
Nov 20, 2019
Also, how do I stop caring about being judged so harshly if I decide to ctb? It's a big part of why I'm still alive. I hate people I know not understanding exactly why I may ctb and expecting no judgement.
They are not broken, they didn't feel such a pain. That's why they see it as an attention seeking or something like that.
I'm really afraid of failing and end up in a hospital. Nurses and doctors are extremly mean and cold against suicidal people. My last failed attempt was traumatic because of the time I spent in the hospital. Nurses were whispering to each other and despising me. One of the nurses even threatened me... It was horrible.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: TheRabbitHole42, PrettyMoose, Nemeshisu and 12 others
D

DeepSleep

Student
Aug 8, 2018

Treat all events around you as pure randomness. One clueless random person put his penis inside another clueless person's vagina and X years later here you are on this forum.
How can you expect a horde of random people to understand what you're feeling? They got no clue but they have opinions and judgements. It's worth zero dollars zero cents to me.

At least, that's how I see the world today.

Reactions: itsamadworld, PrettyMoose, x-Ace-x and 1 other person
TearyEyedQueen

TearyEyedQueen

In the wrong timeline
Nov 14, 2019
Because the fact someone killed themselves means life isn't inherently good or enjoyable, which sounds frightening to the non-suicidal. They've most likely never felt that pain and had relatively good lives so far, so they choose to ignore suffering and pain of others to stay safe in their happy little bubble, therefore deeming the act of suicide as "cowardly", "selfish", "wrong" and other negative adjectives. Basically a coping mechanism.

• Love
Reactions: itsamadworld, hypnogen, PrettyMoose and 24 others
Neurodamaged2

Neurodamaged2

Oct 28, 2019
This is harsh but it's how human nature is: People are naturally wired to hate perceived 'weakness' - laziness, mentally ill, etc. Most people have a veneer of niceness but that only goes for others who are as functional as them. Look at how much people hate drug addicts even though they'd be the exact same if they were exposed to said drugs regularly for some period. People hate burdens too. It's natural selection, better to 'ostracize' the weak from the group than let that keep the group down or - worse - pass those genes onto the gene pool.

Reactions: disabledandhopeless, itsamadworld, PrettyMoose and 12 others
A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
They can judge me as harshly as they want, I win. Suicide is absolute power, you didn't play by the rules but still they won't be able to punish you, it scares them.

• Love
Reactions: itsamadworld, TheRabbitHole42, PrettyMoose and 13 others
Return2Dust

Return2Dust

Experienced
Sep 28, 2019
They are not broken, they didn't feel such a pain. That's why they see it as an attention seeking or something like that.
I'm really afraid of failing and end up in a hospital. Nurses and doctors are extremly mean and cold against suicidal people. My last failed attempt was traumatic because of the time I spent in the hospital. Nurses were whispering to each other and despising me. One of the nurses even threatened me... It was horrible.
These nurses and doctors don't belong in their profession. Why work with suicidal patients having so much disdain for them? Humans with zero empathy...if you can call them humans. Geez!

Reactions: itsamadworld, PrettyMoose, Buffy5120 and 9 others
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
These nurses and doctors don't belong in their profession. Why work with suicidal patients having so much disdain for them? Humans with zero empathy...if you can call them humans. Geez!
I completely agree. I've never been in the hospital for an eating disorder, but I've heard that on many eating disorder wards, all of the overweight nurses purposely humiliate the patients because they're jealous of how thin they are.
Could you imagine if they were treating people with cancer or heart disease or physical challenges this way? There would be a national uproar about it.

• Aww..
Reactions: itsamadworld, PrettyMoose, Élégie and 4 others
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
Because the fact someone killed themselves means life isn't inherently good or enjoyable, which sounds frightening to the non-suicidal. They've most likely never felt that pain and had relatively good lives so far, so they choose to ignore suffering and pain of others to stay safe in their happy little bubble, therefore deeming the act of suicide as "cowardly", "selfish", "wrong" and other negative adjectives. Basically a coping mechanism.
I think you nailed it

Reactions: PrettyMoose, Buffy5120, TearyEyedQueen and 2 others
Return2Dust

Return2Dust

Experienced
Sep 28, 2019
I completely agree. I've never been in the hospital for an eating disorder, but I've heard that on many eating disorder wards, all of the overweight nurses purposely humiliate the patients because they're jealous of how thin they are.
Could you imagine if they were treating people with cancer or heart disease or physical challenges this way? There would be a national uproar about it.
I can't believe nurses get away with this stuff. So upsetting!

Reactions: PrettyMoose, throwaway_2620, Élégie and 4 others
xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
I rationalized away my care for other's reactions. I figure that if I'm dead I won't even know how people react anyway. Even if people react negatively, it's no big matter. Most all of us are forgotten with time anyway.

Reactions: PrettyMoose, throwaway_2620, Élégie and 3 others
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Everyone here is making such great points!
All I can tell you is it just seems to be assumed that you're going to continue living no matter what because living is supposedly better than being dead, no matter what the circumstance. Even if you have zero quality-of-life, it's still considered better to be alive than to be dead. This concept is completely foreign to me. I don't see how people can think it's better to be alive, but unable to function, or to be trapped in a situation that you can't get out of for whatever reason, or to be living in any other kind of nightmare scenario. Under those type of circumstances, I don't see how people can say it's still better to be alive than not.
To me the quality of my life has always been much more important to me than the quantity. I would much rather live for one year and have the most wonderful life possible than to live for 50 years of a crappy life where you're struggling and so forth.
Are people really that afraid of death that they would rather live some horrible life instead of dying? I don't understand this fear of death. Fear of dying, perhaps. But once the dying part is over, I don't think there's really much to be afraid of. And the upside has always far outweighed the downside to me.
Look at all the things you won't have to deal with anymore after you're dead: no more bills, no more money worries, no more paying taxes, no more political BS (no matter which affiliation you are), no more dealing with people who think they're helping you and claim they're helping you—but they aren't, no more family issues or relationship problems, and so much more. No more dealing with all the little mundane BS issues of life! You can solve all of these problems and more with one single act! Now that is power!

I agree that that's why they dislike it so much. In one single act, you're basically giving the finger to all of humanity and this entire BS existence we call life. . . and you're taking their power away to control you. They're still stuck in their little humdrum lives being forced to deal with all the BS, while you are now free! You are now completely out of their reach and that pisses them off to no end. :))

a_strange_day had it right. They're pissed off because you didn't play by their rules, and you got away with it! There's nothing they can do to stop you once the act is done, no way for them to punish you for breaking their rules.
The ultimate act of power!

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, PrettyMoose, Nemeshisu and 10 others
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Everything a human being does in life is essentially a distraction from suffering and the inevitability of death. Suicide is an open acknowledgement that existence is suffering and the embrace of mortality. Humans don't like to be reminded of that fact despite one of their great religions, Buddhism, teaching them that life is suffering.

• Love
Reactions: PrettyMoose, Lethe, Nemeshisu and 9 others
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Everything a human being does in life is essentially a distraction from suffering and the inevitability of death. Suicide is an open acknowledgement that existence is suffering and the embrace of mortality. Humans don't like to be reminded of that fact despite one of their great religions, Buddhism, teaching them that life is suffering.
Actually, don't pretty much all religions teach you that life is suffering in some form or another. And I believe they also teach that if you leave the game early, or don't accept your life as "a gift"— then you supposedly get punished in the afterlife, or you get reincarnated and forced to do the whole thing all over again. Personally, I don't buy any of that. I think it's just a bunch of stuff that people made up to force other people to stay here even though their lives are total shit.
I think people have the idea that if they have to stay here and suffer, then so should everybody else. No one is allowed to check out early no matter what the circumstance.
And of course, all of the good things in your life are because of God or Buddha or whoever, while all the bad things in your life are your own fault, or just whatever Deity you've chosen's way of " testing you". They supposedly never give you more than you can handle, but that hasn't been my personal experience. You can supposedly pray and they'll help you, but that hasn't been my personal experience. And if you feel they have given you too much to handle and you pray and your prayer isn't answered, that's your fault.
So in the end, they get the credit for all the good things, and all the bad things that happen you brought on yourself.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, Nemeshisu, Élégie and 2 others
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Actually, don't pretty much all religions teach you that life is suffering in some form or another. And I believe they also teach that if you leave the game early, or don't accept your life as "a gift"— then you supposedly get punished in the afterlife, or you get reincarnated and forced to do the whole thing all over again. Personally, I don't buy any of that. I think it's just a bunch of stuff that people made up to force other people to stay here even though their lives are total shit.
I think people have the idea that if they have to stay here and suffer, then so should everybody else. No one is allowed to check out early no matter what the circumstance.
And of course, all of the good things in your life are because of God or Buddha or whoever, while all the bad things in your life are your own fault, or just whatever Deity you've chosen's way of " testing you". They supposedly never give you more than you can handle, but that hasn't been my personal experience. You can supposedly pray and they'll help you, but that hasn't been my personal experience. And if you feel they have given you too much to handle and you pray and your prayer isn't answered, that's your fault.
So in the end, they get the credit for all the good things, and all the bad things that happen you brought on yourself.
Yes, you are absolutely right! I'm an atheist and buy the life is suffering part and the inevitability of death but not the rest of it - reincarnation, transmigration, heaven or hell. There's not one shred of evidence to prove the existence of an afterlife. A post-mortem existence is the least of my worries.

• Love
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Élégie and BlueWidow
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Yes, you are absolutely right! I'm an atheist and buy the life is suffering part and the inevitability of death but not the rest of it - reincarnation, transmigration, heaven or hell. There's not one shred of evidence to prove the existence of an afterlife. A post-mortem existence is the least of my worries.
I've stated on here before that I don't really know what comes after, if anything. All I know is, whatever it is- whether it's something or nothing, it can't be any worse than here. No one can convince me that any other existence is worse than this one. I've always believed, if there is such a thing as hell, we are all in it right now. Some of it may be of our own creation, but much of it is just the trappings of being alive. To be alive is to be in hell. And I believe that even on my best day. . . Because in my experience, anything good that I get, must be paid for 100 times over by something horrible. That's how I knew the moment I allowed myself to become attached to my husband that he was doomed. I knew he would die sooner or later even if it took another 50 years. . . And I would be forced to sit and watch him suffer and die.
Meanwhile, I suffer but I don't die.
And I have friends who are spiritual, not religious but spiritual, who tell me that I chose for things to be this way before I got here. Why the hell would I have chosen this?!
Why would anyone?!

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Nemeshisu, Élégie, LMLN and 2 others
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
I've stated on here before that I don't really know what comes after, if anything. All I know is, whatever it is- whether it's something or nothing, it can't be any worse than here. No one can convince me that any other existence is worse than this one. I've always believed, if there is such a thing as hell, we are all in it right now. Some of it may be of our own creation, but much of it is just the trappings of being alive. To be alive is to be in hell. And I believe that even on my best day. . . Because in my experience, anything good that I get, must be paid for 100 times over by something horrible. That's how I knew the moment I allowed myself to become attached to my husband that he was doomed. I knew he would die sooner or later even if it took another 50 years. . . And I would be forced to sit and watch him suffer and die.
And I have friends who are spiritual, not religious but spiritual, who tell me that I chose for things to be this way before I got here. Why the hell would I have chosen this?!
Why would anyone?!
That's the thing. No one chose anything. Everything is out of our control. Our birth was out of our control. Our existence was out of our control.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, ARW3N, LMLN and 1 other person
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Why would anyone?!
I never asked for life. There was non-existence and then I became conscious when I was born. It was something I never wanted. Existence is suffering. Then you become conscious of your own mortality. It's like waiting for a nightmare to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nemeshisu, V0latile, Élégie and 3 others
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
I never asked for life. There was non-existence and then I became conscious when I was born. It was something I never wanted. Existence is suffering. Then you become conscious of your own mortality.
Yes, doesn't it suck that we have consciousness but animals don't. I realize most people think that makes us superior, but I would actually argue the opposite. Animals go exclusively on instinct. I think it would make life much easier if you had no conscious awareness and no ability to think beyond your basic drives for survival. And in most cases animals die long before humans do. Their lives are much shorter. It seems to me if we have awareness, it would at least be better if our lives were shorter. Another thing that makes no sense to me, the idea that extending human life is progress. The length of the human life is now so long that I think many people get bored with it long before they ever die. I certainly have. I think it was better in the olden days when people died in their 30s or 40s.

• Love
Reactions: Nemeshisu, Élégie, ARW3N and 1 other person
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
I don't think it stems from religious prohibitions against suicide but the Hippocratic Oath which all medical personnel have to subscribe to which entails doing no harm to the patient. I've heard how the lethal injections on Death Row in the US are carried out by the prison guards rather than trained nurses because of the Hippocratic Oath.
Yes, doesn't it suck that we have consciousness but animals don't. I realize most people think that makes us superior, but I would actually argue the opposite. Animals go exclusively on instinct. I think it would make life much easier if you had no conscious awareness and no ability to think beyond your basic drives for survival. And in most cases animals die long before humans do. Their lives are much shorter. It seems to me if we have awareness, it would at least be better if our lives were shorter. Another thing that makes no sense to me, the idea that extending human life is progress. The length of the human life is now so long that I think many people get bored with it long before they ever die. I certainly have. I think it was better in the olden days when people died in their 30s or 40s.
I once studied Egyptology and learned how most ancient Egyptians died in their 30s. There's even a famous literary piece by an ancient Egyptian debating the benefits of suicide. Perhaps he lived far longer than he felt he should have.

Last edited:
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
I don't think it stems from religious prohibitions against suicide but the Hippocratic Oath which all medical personnel have to subscribe to which entails doing no harm to the patient. I've heard how the lethal injections on Death Row in the US are carried out by the prison guards rather than trained nurses because of the Hippocratic Oath.
I agree that you're probably right in that it gives them an excuse to be against suicide. However, I don't recall any doctors worrying about their Hippocratic Oath when they were keeping me for 13 years on the wrong medicine for my thyroid, or refusing me the amount of medication that I need to function properly and have a good quality of life, even now 10 years later. I guess as long as they technically keep you alive, they consider themselves as following the Hippocratic Oath and "doing no harm". BS! :angry:

• Love
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Nemeshisu, OreoWellington and 2 others
Predestinated

Predestinated

Student
Jan 9, 2019
Because they are "triggered" by people like us who have actually the guts to do it. Some pro-life people arent really that pro-life, but they are somehow offended by suicidal people.

• Love
Reactions: Nemeshisu, pthnrdnojvsc, BlueWidow and 3 others