sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Why are humans social animals instead of solitary ones? Why did we evolve to be social beings?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocinante, 4am, Homo erectus and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Our primate relatives like chimps and gorillas are also all social animals so we can blame them I guess. I assume it's due to strength in numbers. Alone, a single human with its low tier stats in pretty much everything physical stands no chance against a Lion, a wolf, or even a boar. Sure we can build weapons but if we were by ourselves then who would even be there to give someone the idea to even make weapons? Or better yet, who'd watch our backs and keep us safe from predators while we're crafting our weapons, shelter, and other basic necessities? Our babies are also among the most helpless in the animal kingdom and spend quite a long period of time in this state of being unable to help themselves so how is the species going to continue without outside help?

• Informative
Reactions: Tears in Rain, Homo erectus, dragonofenvy and 2 others
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
If we were solitary, we would've been extinct. Nobody to care for the injured, or children. Nobody to hunt or gather or build. Some humans were born better hunters, some better builders and inventors, and some were great caretakers, but few are all of those things in one person. We were designed to leverage each other's strengths to supplement our own weaknesses, and it's worked very well for us. If we were solitary, I doubt things like medicine, electricity, cars, art, music, the internet etc. would've existed across the entire world since we would've greedily guarded it and kept it for ourselves.

• Informative
Reactions: mutt, Dead Ghost, ijustwishtodie and 4 others
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

No Future For Democracy
Feb 22, 2024
To survive. Individualism is a cancerous ideology because people only function as parts of groups

• Informative
Reactions: carac, Homo erectus and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
To survive. Individualism is a cancerous ideology because people only function as parts of groups
What do you mean? Could you elaborate on this? Someone once told me that there was toxic individualism, but I don't see what's so bad about individualism. Everyone is their own person and an individual, right? Everyone is different because they're unique.

Reactions: Rocinante, Homo erectus and Ferdinand Bardamu
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

No Future For Democracy
Feb 22, 2024
What do you mean? Could you elaborate on this? Someone once told me that there was toxic individualism, but I don't see what's so bad about individualism. Everyone is their own person and an individual, right? Everyone is different because they're unique.
Well, why do we hunt in packs, and not individually? Because it is more resource efficient and productive. I'm fine with individualism (in the sense that we are all individuals) as long as it doesn't disrupt the collective organizing needed to make society function. The lolbert individualism is cancer though.

• Informative
Reactions: Homo erectus and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Well, why do we hunt in packs, and not individually? Because it is more resource efficient and productive. I'm fine with individualism (in the sense that we are all individuals) as long as it doesn't disrupt the collective organizing needed to make society function. The lolbert individualism is cancer though.
What's the Iolbert individualism?

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Human is designed to handle only a small number of people, and keep track of all moral debts in head. It's difficult for most people to memorize a phone number over 7 digits. Being social is probably not the main problem, but modern cosmopolitan society are causing much stress.

• Informative
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, sserafim and Ferdinand Bardamu
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

No Future For Democracy
Feb 22, 2024
What's the Iolbert individualism?
Libertarian "muh freedumz people should be allowed to do what dey want!!" shit. It's retarded.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Libertarian "muh freedumz people should be allowed to do what dey want!!" shit. It's retarded.
Lol I guess I could be considered one of those people. Someone told me that you couldn't escape society, and that every society creates deviants but try as they may those deviants are just as part of society as everyone else. Is this an example of Iolbert individualism? Is trying to escape society a lost cause?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante, ijustwishtodie, Homo erectus and 1 other person
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

No Future For Democracy
Feb 22, 2024
. Is this an example of Iolbert individualism?
Kind of

Is trying to escape society a lost cause?
Yeah because some form of society (not necessarily a heirachical one though) is created when more than like 2 people try and co-operate on anything. Also neoliberalism recuperates deviancy into norms.
Someone told me that you couldn't escape society, and that every society creates deviants
Some societies do create deviants because the society is deviant. Like if a society were to expel deviants and stamp out the cause, then they couldn't create them.

but try as they may those deviants are just as part of society as everyone else.
Eh, usually deviants are pushed to the outside of society in some senses. Gay people, for example (though I'm fine with gays, I'm just using them as an example).

• Aww..
Reactions: sserafim, DarkRange55 and Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Individualism is exaggerated. People think they are independent but usually what they really mean is they are rich. They still buy things from shops. Thinking people can live alone in the wild and eat raw is just TV gimmick.

• Informative
  • Yay!
Reactions: Buh-bye!, ijustwishtodie, R_N and 3 others
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Human is designed to handle only a small number of people, and keep track of all moral debts in head. It's difficult for most people to memorize a phone number over 7 digits. Being social is probably not the main problem, but modern cosmopolitan society are causing much stress.
The human brain was wired for 10,000 connections- say ~100 - 150 people in a tribe, then what is everyone's relationship to each other. But yes, between 100-150 people.

• Informative
Reactions: Ferdinand Bardamu, sserafim and Homo erectus
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Kind of

Yeah because some form of society (not necessarily a heirachical one though) is created when more than like 2 people try and co-operate on anything. Also neoliberalism recuperates deviancy into norms.

Some societies do create deviants because the society is deviant. Like if a society were to expel deviants and stamp out the cause, then they couldn't create them.

Eh, usually deviants are pushed to the outside of society in some senses. Gay people, for example (though I'm fine with gays, I'm just using them as an example).
He said that although you try to escape from society, you're still part of it and that you can't escape structure. Ugh I guess escape is impossible then 😭

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
This 👌 👍

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim and Ferdinand Bardamu
Ferdinand Bardamu

Ferdinand Bardamu

No Future For Democracy
Feb 22, 2024
He said that although you try to escape from society, you can't escape structure. I guess escape isn't possible then 😭
It isn't.

• Aww..
Reactions: DarkRange55, sserafim and Homo erectus
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
He said that although you try to escape from society, you're still part of it and that you can't escape structure. Ugh I guess escape is impossible then 😭
I don't think you can. Only if you had one person maybe but as soon as you got two people you've got a society. Also just the existence of dynamics I think, creates a society whether it's controlling or not.

• Aww..
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Individualism is exaggerated. People think they are independent but usually what they really mean is they are rich. They still buy things from shops. Thinking people can live alone in the wild and eat raw is just TV gimmick.
I heard my neighbour (somewhat successful influencer) planned to isolate himself for a month but came back home the other day and spent previous one talking on the phone with family. A bit comical but he had a rough break up recently and is trying to find himself I guess. Or maybe it is something even worse... just came to mind. Oof.

But yeah even when we are unable to work someone else is working to feed us so as long as we live we depend on others.

Meditation for example is hard by itself let alone surviving alone in the wilderness.

Reactions: Homo erectus, sserafim and Ferdinand Bardamu
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Because humans had to rely on each other to survive so the brain adapted to that. That's why breakups in relationships and feeling lonely hurts a lot for most people. I think that this video by kurzgesagt explains this topic well imo

• Informative
Reactions: Homo erectus, sserafim and Dr Iron Arc
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Kind of

Deviants that stay or interact with a society are still part of it, but some do leave and not look back.
Whether they are still a part depends on your definition of a society.

• Informative
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I really wish I could be a solitary animal like a tiger or wolverine. That would be nice.

Reactions: Ferdinand Bardamu, sserafim and untothedepths
dreambound

dreambound

Student
Dec 14, 2021
i think that society is creating more solitary withdrawn people as a bi-product of making it increasingly
more differcult for the non-wealthy to access basic human needs like food & shelter.

Everything is so expensive, & the politicians seem to have no awareness or empathy because they have
no contact with anyone poor.....

• Informative
Reactions: Buh-bye! and sserafim