Mauve87

Mauve87

Aug 30, 2023
There's a lot of things I can't see myself doing. For example: slitting wrists, jumping off a building or infront of a train.

Methods like hanging, ingesting poison, drowning
seem more appealing.

Why is that? I feel like if I really wanted to die I wouldn't care about method

Reactions: ChronicallyCynical
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I feel like if I really wanted to die I wouldn't care about method
I don't know if that's true. there's a lot of methods I wouldn't use, either, unless I became under such desperate circumstances that I had to CTB right here and now immediately and had absolutely no other choices. I wouldn't choose jumping, either, if I could at all avoid it. Same for jumping in front of a train, or even laying my neck down on railroad tracks. Slitting wrists doesn't appeal to em, and from all accounts, has a high likelihood of failure anyway. I'd rather not do hanging, either, if I can avoid it. Most poisons lead to failure, too. Drowning sounds horrifying to me. My method is CO. I'd consider SN as a backup, but would have issues getting all of the other meds necessary. I'd much prefer N, but it's become impossible to get. I've considered firearm, and if I became desperate I'd probably go with that method if the time came where I had to get out immediately and for some reason I couldn't carry out my first choice.

Reactions: Mauve87 and ChronicallyCynical
DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
For me it has a bit to do with potential for survival. If I survived the attempt I could end up in a much worse situation. Because of that I wouldn't attempt certain methods. Also, I'm afraid of heights some things like jumping are probably not going to happen. Although I do think about it.

Reactions: Mauve87 and ChronicallyCynical
ChronicallyCynical

ChronicallyCynical

Natural pessimist, born quitter.
Sep 9, 2023
Where I'm standing, I'm partially in agreement with you for reasons such like:
  • How violent they are. Slitting wrists seems gorey/messy, and while the imagery had an oddly calming effect on me, the idea of actually performing it seems painful. I've cut myself accidentally enough times that I just can't imagine doing it on purpose. I've tried (several times)... it just won't work. I also think a lot of people have a natural fear of sharp objects and pain and would be unlikely to drive something sharp into their skin, piercing the surface. I can brush it against my skin, and I also don't feel afraid of licking spreads off of a sharp cutting knife... but to actually pierce the skin? Fear of blood and open wounds is also fairly common, or at least a disgust at the sight. Moreover, being that it is that bloody it's one of the less peaceful and more traumatising ways to go.
  • It can also take a while -- depending on how you cut --, and there is a chance you may be found in the time.
  • I'd say it's also one of the less common ways to ctb. Hanging, OD-ing, shooting oneself, or jumping, at least anecdotally, appear to be more common. As well as SN, apparently. (Though I didn't come across that until very recently.) It's a bit like drinking bleach. Plenty of people talk about it, but less talk about people dying from it, I feel.
  • Jumping off a building is very public. People are likely going to see, if not the jump, then the body left behind. Also, if you don't jump from high enough, there is the possibility you'll end up alive but paralysed.
  • Jumping in front of a train is both violent and public, and will likely directly affect those on the train. No one wants to live with being a part of some person's suicide. I would highly recommend against anyone trying it. If you have to go, try not to directly implicate a person who wouldn't necessarily be willing to kill you and couldn't cope with the consequences. For doctors, it'd probably be a bit easier to assist in such a way because they've been around death plenty, and it's very possible they understand the concept of Euthanasia -- veterinarians clearly do since they perform it on pets. But for a train driver? That's not what they signed up for, and it wasn't in the fine print either.
As per the others methods:
  • Shooting can be loud if you have no way to silence the gun, so it grabs attention. It can be quite traumatising, and the materials (gun) might be inaccessible to some. You may lose your nerve and not shoot at all, or it could affect your aim, miss, and instead do tons of damage with unwanted results. A viable method, sure, that works for some, but it can also destroy other people's lives more than they already have been.
  • Drowning is... pretty difficult actually. It's one of those things that very easily trigger survival instinct, even in relatively shallow water. You'd also need to try and weigh yourself down with something, I think, to prevent yourself from surfacing. Also, if you drown in a public space - a lake, for instance, or a river - and your body makes it back to the surface, someone's probably gonna notice. I can see why someone wouldn't want that.
I think even those who wish to die, will consider the methods carefully, because they don't want to accidentally survive with debilitating injuries, traumatise anyone more than absolutely necessary, or cause themselves more pain before their passing. They may not have access, skill, or knowledge and this might be limiting them. Simply because there are methods a person wouldn't use, doesn't invalidate their desire to die.

At the same time, if you believe you do not really wish to die, that is a very valid thought to have, in which case, I would recommend using the recovery section, and looking through the web, or different apps to see what methods people have used to try and cope with or improve their situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mauve87
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Because those methods are barbaric and slitting wrists isn't reliable anyway. It's disgusting how we cannot just leave this world in peace whenever we wish to, it's so horrible how people even have to consider methods like that. I despise this world where suicide is purposely made so difficult for people, it's inhumane, it would be such a relief if Nembutal is legalised.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sannti and Mauve87