Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Who in your life, aside from this forum, knows your intent to CTB?

I have two who know. One is supportive in the sense of respecting my decision although they aren't happy about it; the other knows and doesn't comment.

Reactions: WanderingEremite, akosineenee, Rocky M and 4 others
C

CRM

Idiot
Jul 13, 2018
Everyone in my family since I had a psych report done on me, my friend, and whoever they told.

They pretend to care but don't. They probably think I won't do it. They're right thus far, but I hope to prove them wrong before the year is out. Everyone except my mom will get over it. She has a history of suicidal ideation as well. It won't stop me, though. I'm only held back by myself right now, not like most on this forum who are worried about hurting their families, for good reason.

Reactions: TinTabby, akosineenee, k475u and 7 others
GodKnows

GodKnows

What lies ahead
Jun 28, 2018
God.

Reactions: WanderingEremite, Psychosa, AmmarQz and 4 others
Razz_Goku

Razz_Goku

Aug 26, 2018
Nobody.Gotta fake being a happy kid till I make it to death.

Reactions: Things2do1st&ThenCtb, ThisIsTheEnd, Bandzbandz and 6 others
D

Deleted member 847

My consciousness

Reactions: ThisIsTheEnd, mattwitt, Tiburcio and 2 others
RageQuit66

RageQuit66

Jul 28, 2018
Who in your life, aside from this forum, knows your intent to CTB?

I have two who know. One is supportive in the sense of respecting my decision although they aren't happy about it; the other knows and doesn't comment.
You all do.

Reactions: Bandzbandz, mattwitt, Tiburcio and 1 other person
L

Living_Ghost

Student
Aug 13, 2018
Nobody knows but many suspect I will. You can only hide being a depressed creep for so long. Eventually the months become years and hey presto soon what are supposed to be the best days of your life are behind you. If anyone cared they would have talked by now . But they prefer lala land and feigned shock when it happens I'm sure.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, TinTabby, akosineenee and 7 others
Death

Death

Aug 24, 2018
My family, they won't leave me alone because of it

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, mattwitt, lv-gras and 2 others
T

TengoK

Aug 1, 2018
Only people here, really. I told my father a few weeks back, but to be honest my current conversations with them are the most I've 'enjoyed' (more like endured) in 25 years. Haven't actually *seen* him since 1992 when he made a surprise visit to my university. This time, however, I highly suspect he doesn't believe me.

I suspect two friends of mine might be worried that I'll ctb one day, but not having seen either of them in nearly two years, I don't think they realise that I'm now very close.

Reactions: akosineenee, lv-gras, Tiburcio and 1 other person
skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
In real life? nobody and I will keep it that way

Reactions: Deleted member 1768, mattwitt, lv-gras and 4 others
T

Tiburcio

I'm so coward for having attempted it before properly. ;-;

Reactions: mattwitt and lv-gras
Oblivion

Oblivion

Wizard
Aug 2, 2018
My friend who is not supportive, and another one who is supportive.

Reactions: mattwitt, Smilla and lv-gras
S

Sphinx

Aug 1, 2018
My friend, who also happens to be suicidal.

Reactions: Smilla, mattwitt and lv-gras
Clover

Clover

Experienced
Aug 23, 2018
Everyone
Not because I told them but due to a failed attempt and my situation being one that a lot of people would consider it.
I've given my will to trusted people.
And the health professionals are very aware and have encouraged it numerical times.

Last edited:
Reactions: akosineenee, Death, mattwitt and 2 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Glad I am not the only one who has informed others IRL. I felt really weird about it, but did it because I knew i would not be sectioned by these particular people, and somehow wanted to lessen the shock.

There is no right or wrong here—just wanted to be sure I wasn't insane for letting people know about my exit.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, akosineenee, lv-gras and 3 others
C

Comatose11

Mage
Jul 26, 2018
Family knows about my history as I've been in the mental hospital before. But as far as they know, I'm better. I don't think they have any suspicions that I'm going to ctb.

Reactions: akosineenee, lv-gras, mattwitt and 1 other person
Kev

Kev

Student
Aug 18, 2018
I went 2.5 years being suicidally depressed and managed to hide it from everyone, meaning my family and close friends. A few months ago I was just hanging out late at night at one of my best friend's place, the conversation somehow transitioned into depression and I just let everything slip, how long I had been depressed, how I had already written my note, how I was going to CTB in about a week right before finals, how I was in love with my best friend at the time, a girl who was in our friend group, the method I was planning on using.

It felt good to get that off my chest, and I decided to wait. I eventually confided in two more of my friends, and then two more. Then my friend who I was in love with found out through the original friend I told. Then she contacted my parents and the rest of my friends and briefed them, and now pretty much everyone in my life knows. I realize I'm very lucky in the fact that I have a lot of people that care and are actually really good at supporting me. A lot of them have gone through depression before so they understand, and the girl I was in love with attempted suicide years ago. She did not reciprocate my feelings, as I had expected, but she felt so bad about hurting me that her depression started to come back, which made me hate myself more when I learned that.

After the first month or two, I could start to feel distance between myself and some of my friends. I could tell it was taking a toll on them, so now I avoid expressing my depression to everyone but my parents and two of my childhood best friends. For the most part I pretty much act like everything is all fine and dandy now. Before it came out, this girl and I were like the duo of the friend group. We'd hang out with the others a lot but also did a lot of stuff on our own. What's ironic is that now she has replaced me with the friend that I originally told everything to and while we are still good friends, she is a lot more distant now.

My advice for anything considering confiding in someone they trust: as long as you know they won't tell anybody, you should do it. It helps to not have to keep it all in and feel even more isolated. Just keep the situation under wraps and try to not let them see too much of your depression and suffering. Human beings have an instinctual aversion to depressed people, and even if they are your friends and actually care about you, if you show too much of it, resentment will build up and they may try to distance themselves.

Reactions: Cya89, akosineenee, ThisIsTheEnd and 3 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Everyone
Not because I told them but due to a failed attempt and my situation being one that a lot of people would consider it.
I've given my will to trusted people.
And the health professionals are very aware and have encouraged it numerical times.
The health professionals encouraged it?

Can you extrapolate?

Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
Probably everyone around me at this point, I've lost the ability to suppress my hysteria around others for some years. It was ignored for my entire childhood, frustrating that people decided it was valid only once suicidality was an omnipresent feature of my mind. I thin

Everyone assumes it's not there if I don't mention it though, regardless of how many times it's been explained, so the general presumption is I get suicidal over tiny things rather than being consistently suicidal.

edit; I do think the cumulative effect of discussing it seriously a few times while calm is that when I manage it, it won't be nearly as shocking or distressing than it would have been otherwise. I have only managed the calm serious discussions with my mother and partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiburcio, akosineenee, Smilla and 4 others
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
As far as I know, no-one knows about me actively wanting to CTB. I've discussed it in passing with a colleague in work, but given how unfazed he was by the conversation I assume he didn't think I was being serious.

Reactions: Tiburcio and akosineenee
ThisIsTheEnd

ThisIsTheEnd

Waste of oxygen
Aug 22, 2018
Nobody outside of this forum, but I have been trying to tell my parents.

Reactions: Tiburcio and Smilla
R

Radaghast94

Aug 25, 2018
My whole family knows about it, partly cause I tried to jump off a bridge and partly because I'm too open about it. Sorta wish i hadn't been because I feel guilty for talking about how hopeless I feel and they are more cautious about leaving me alone.

Reactions: Tiburcio, akosineenee, Death and 4 others
S

solacely

Apr 4, 2018
Pretty much everyone in my life since I'm in and out of mental hospitals but no one actually gives a shit or takes it seriously even though I've had multiple serious attempts

Reactions: Tiburcio, lv-gras, Death and 2 others
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Too many, think everyone sees me like the boy who cried wolf now but idc since I cut all my friends off

Reactions: Tiburcio, akosineenee, suffering and 2 others
Alex

Alex

May 28, 2018
No one even knows that I have suicidal thoughts that aren't in this forum. Frankly I've gotten more help to get better in this site than anywhere else, and it's the main thing keeping me alive. Ironic

Reactions: sky7, Tiburcio, akosineenee and 5 others
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
Everyone.

Reactions: UglyAndSuicidal, Tiburcio, akosineenee and 2 others
Rocky M

Rocky M

I'm A Monster
Jun 20, 2018
I also have 2, my former friend who I pushed away (I doubt she cares anymore) and a soccer teammate of mine who I'm currently lying about getting better to because I don't want her to worry and I don't want to push her away as well.

Reactions: Smilla, UglyAndSuicidal, akosineenee and 2 others
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
As far as I know, no-one knows about me actively wanting to CTB. I've discussed it in passing with a colleague in work, but given how unfazed he was by the conversation I assume he didn't think I was being serious.
I'm sorry how indifferent your colleague turned out to be. It could be that he didn't know how to respond or he's worried he might say the wrong thing; but then again I wasn't there and I wouldn't know. It sucks though that when you open up, even in that small inconsequential way, you had to deal with that reaction or lack thereof. For myself, I can't imagine opening up to a co-worker. I'd be worried about intervention by management or stigma from my colleagues. Then again, I wouldn't have to worry about that since I'm unemployed and hopefully CTB sooner than later.

Reactions: lv-gras and Tiburcio