H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
If my insurance covered therapy I'd probably go just to vent and get things off my chest. But I also know it can't "fix" my situation. I saw a therapist who was a lovely lady, pleasant and easy to talk to. We had some nice chit-chats...but even she acknowledged there wasn't much she could do to help me. She flat out told me that therapy is designed to "restructure distorted thinking", but that my thought process was completely rational. Hmmm.

Reactions: Final Escape, BlueWidow and OneBigBlur
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
Mine booted me for "not putting in the work". I'm still not sure whether it was my fault or not. It almost seemed to me that my therapy failed due to my own unwillingness to place my therapist into the role of an authority figure.
Nothing like being rejected by a therapist
( ie the person who is supposed to be helping you and being nonjudgmental)!
I had a similar experience for a different reason. I had a very traumatic experience which I don't like to discuss, but it's unfortunately a common experience. I went to my therapist and was very upset and hysterical over this experience because it had just happened to me hours earlier. Not only was she no help whatsoever and tried to downplay my experience as being unimportant, but then she tried to convince me that what I thought happened to me didn't actually happen the way I thought it did.
The next time I went to see her after that, her receptionist ignored me. Finally, I demanded to know what was going on and her receptionist very sharply and coldly told me that the therapist was no longer interested in seeing me. There was no explanation, no reason for why she didn't want to see me anymore, just "hit the bricks, kid"!
All I can figure out is that this therapist may have possibly had a similar traumatic experience and that's why she couldn't treat me or deal with my traumatic experience.
If my insurance covered therapy I'd probably go just to vent and get things off my chest. But I also know it can't "fix" my situation. I saw a therapist who was a lovely lady, pleasant and easy to talk to. We had some nice chit-chats...but even she acknowledged there wasn't much she could do to help me. She flat out told me that therapy is designed to "restructure distorted thinking", but that my thought process was completely rational. Hmmm.
It's refreshing when you find someone who will be that honest with you. Most people in any medical type profession won't admit that they can't help you. They just continue to throw useless pills and advice at you so they can continue sticking their hands in your wallet and keep collecting the insurance money.

Last edited:
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I should not need therapy, why should I have to pay to repair the child abuse that was allowed to be inflicted on me? I just want to live my life and I'm not rich enough to afford therapy so I just journal instead. I don't think I have the dedication at 42 to start DBT and CBT for years and years till someday many years from now I might be better.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OneBigBlur and BlueWidow
Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
There's actually no reason for me to go to therapy.
What's bothering me? Nothing that I can change.
Can I alter to avoid things that are negative? Sure, if I wanted to screw over people and make them starve, while screwing myself out of a house I own.
Why don't I do what I enjoy? Because I can't make enough to live off of doing it.
Why don't I look for another job in the same industry? Because I hate the industry, and I tolerate the existing job because I like the boss and people.
What would I change about myself? Let's start with some dna heredity things, and work our way out. So, nothing that I can change
What can I do to make me happy? Why do you think I'm suicidal?

And that's the end of session 1 and 2 basically (seriously, toss in a more questions, and that was basically 2 hour long sessions I had). I went only as conditions for psyc ward release.

Don't get me wrong, she was totally non judgmental, it wasn't her fault, and I don't really view myself as broken--more like shattered.

• Hugs
Reactions: Final Escape, BlueWidow and OneBigBlur
OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
It's refreshing when you find someone who will be that honest with you. Most people in any medical type profession won't admit that they can't help you. They just continue to throw useless pills and advice at you so they can continue sticking their hands in your wallet and keep collecting the insurance money.

What she did was a good thing in my opinion as well. I'm kind of baffled that she called his thinking rational instead of a product of "mental illness", at least she's not ignorant.

• Love
Reactions: HopeDiesLast and BlueWidow
BlueWidow

BlueWidow

Visionary
Oct 6, 2019
There are just some people who have problems that can never be solved, and can never be tolerated while they keep living.
Some people don't want to face the reality that you can't fix everything. Some things are just not fixable, no matter how hard you try, so you spend your whole life banging your head against the wall for nothing. Then, in the end, you're going to die anyway. Might as well get it over with now and save yourself the headache.

• Love
Reactions: Final Escape, HopeDiesLast and Carina
H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
What she did was a good thing in my opinion as well. I'm kind of baffled that she called his thinking rational instead of a product of "mental illness", at least she's not ignorant.

I'm a female.

But yes, it was nice to have a mental health professional acknowledge that my issues are real and that my thought process is rational. It confirmed to me that I wasn't just "crazy" or making things out to be worse than they actually are. My situation is not fixable, and things were set in motion a long time ago that lead me to this point.

Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
My therapist retired and I'm on the waiting list for a new one, it's been a good 4-5 months since I've had therapy. But honestly, it hasn't done much for me considering my insurance sucks and it's only a 30 minute session once a month.