S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
It's not really an investment, it's an exploitation
Nope, it's investment. The 1st world companies are spending money in another country with hopes of a return on their investment.
an investment would be if the people you invest in had a fair opportunity to grow financially from this situation.
Nope again. It's the responsibility of the governments in those countries to make sure workers get treated fairly. They could do this by establishing labor laws protecting their citizens. Instead, they collect their taxes and fuck over their own people.
The richer countries don't put up with being exploited like this because they can fight back.
No, it's because there are laws protecting the citizens of richer countries. There is no fighting, it's just not profitable to have low skilled labor jobs in places like US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia, or S Korea.
The transactions between the rich and poor countries could be structured in an ethical way so that people in both countries could grow, but this would take a long-term view from the richer countries, because in the short term they would make a little less.
The richer countries are not the saviors of the world. They are doing what's best for their citizens. They owe absolutely nothing to the poorer countries.

And again, you're avoiding the question - simple yes or no - would those poorer countries (ie the people and governments) be better off is the companies in 1st world countries just shuttered those factories?

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Nope, it's investment. The 1st world companies are spending money in another country with hopes of a return on their investment.

Nope again. It's the responsibility of the governments in those countries to make sure workers get treated fairly. They could do this by establishing labor laws protecting their citizens. Instead, they collect their taxes and fuck over their own people.

No, it's because there are laws protecting the citizens of richer countries. There is no fighting, it's just not profitable to have low skilled labor jobs in places like US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia, or S Korea.

The richer countries are not the saviors of the world. They are doing what's best for their citizens. They owe absolutely nothing to the poorer countries.

And again, you're avoiding the question - simple yes or no - would those poorer countries (ie the people and governments) be better off is the companies in 1st world countries just shuttered those factories?
If the first world countries care about their own citizens and not about the citizens of third world nations that is the definition of exploitation, it's the definition of a total lack of ethics, it's the definition of evil- an ethical person would care about how their policies affect all the people they affect, not just the citizens of their own country.

davidgeorge

davidgeorge

Experienced
Dec 21, 2021
I was in an office and London. Without easy access to news in those days it took me ages to find out what happened. I know it was a Tuesday as I went to five a side football straight from the train stations. In 10 minutes listening in the car to the radio none of the journalists actually said what had happened; they were too wrapped up in describing the aftermath.

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Ringo
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021

I'll give you another example of how rich coporations explooit third world countries- I don't know if you know about how Nestle has handled things in relatino to water in certain foreign countries such as Nigeria. The situation strated out that all citizens had access to water freely and that one way citizens got their water was to collect it in buckets when it rains. The Nestle, a huge swiss corpoation, came in and drained the waterf tables sop that they could sell bottled water at exhorbitant prices that many people could not afford and they used their influence to make it illegal to collect rain water in buckets so that they would control the market dfor water and they jacked the price of water sky high so that m,any residents could not afford enough water to survive. The CEO of Nestle said that the view of water as a basic human right was "extreme". This is a clear and typical example of how rich corporations make the poorer countries worse and use their cruel tactics to steal money, essentially, from the poorest people in the world- might makes right in their opinion. policies like this in some parts of the world create situations where some families have to sell their 10 to 12 year oif daughters into permanent sex slavery so that they can get enough money to survive. So yes, large corporations crush people in third world nations so that they can make more money by exploiting them in the most evil ways possible.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I had just taken a Boston flight two weeks prior to 9/11 as I was touring colleges in the area. But on the day itself I was 17 and had started my senior year in high school, back in Europe. I'd just come home for the day when I saw the news on TV.

S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I didn't really care because I wasn't American and hadn't heard of it before. Didn't know how much would change as time went on.

• Hugs
Reactions: Manaaja
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I was watching a soap opera on Tv and was bummed out that they interrupted it to show love footage. That is… Until I understand what was going on.

• Aww..
Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Whenever I think of 9/11, when almost 3000 people died in these terrorists attacks, something I also think of is that about 24,000 people starve to death every day, and the majority are children- 8 times as many people die every day due to lack of food, and where is the mourning in the news for them?
The news is not a reflection of the public. You should not expect the news to do anything properly besides lie.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
My mother used to tell me about it sometimes when the subject came up. I was a little over a year old, according to her she was picking up the clothes while she was zapping on TV until she came across a report, at first she thought it was a movie until she saw the channel's logo.

NobodyKnowsMe

NobodyKnowsMe

Just biding my time
Dec 21, 2021
I was at work, in an office, watching the reports of everything via the internet. Then I left work early and went home to be with my children. They were in middle school at the time - old enough to understand what was happening, but still young enough to not fully comprehend the meaning of it all.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
I was at school. I was also too young to really realize what was going on, I just remember a teacher pulled my class's teacher out of the room and she came back in a few minutes later, kinda whispered with the assistant teacher, and then she left the room after telling us we'd get extended free time today and the assistant would watch over us. Don't think we learned a lot that day.

When I got home, I'll be honest, I thought my Dad was watching a movie or show on TV. I definitely saw footage but didn't realize what it was until the next day when our teachers talked with us about it. My Mom was on the computer as was kinda typical for her but she was probably looking at news about what was going on because she ran back and forth between our computer room and living room a lot more than usual that day.

Last thing, I REALLY wouldn't want to be the one who has to explain 9/11 to a group of elementary school students. I mean what do you say to make them really understand beyond just "Something definitely bad happened." It would probably make me feel like a jackass.

Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
I was at work. My coworker's son worked in the World Trade Center. One of her friends called her to see if he was alright, we didn't even know what was going on. She tried to call him and couldn't get in touch with him (she did later, to his advantage, he was running late for work that day). Everyone from my office went down to the loading dock to watch the tv, then they told us we could go home. It was very odd on the bus going home, no one was talking, it was like nothing was happening. It kind of made me want to scream.

• Aww..
Reactions: MellowAvenue
Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020
It was my 12th yo birthday lol. It's been ruined ever since.