L

losingsteam3141

Grad Student USA
Aug 30, 2024
I think when it says that missiles in the coronal plane are more lethal than in the sagittal plane, it means that the gun aimed at the side of the head going to the other side of the head (coronal plane) is more deadly than if the gun was pointed under the chin or in the mouth (sagittal plane). I don't think its referring to literally aiming for the coronal or sagittal suture.

Its important to note that the study lumped in the mouth and under the chin as "sagittal plane" and that there were many more survivors submentally (under the chin) than intraorally (in the mouth). However, this goes to show that no single location is 100% successful. From the exit wounds or bullet fragment locations, it seems that in these unsuccessful attempts, the gun was aimed too much towards the face/ front of head rather than closer to the back.

J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
Please do some more research. Do not point at the top of your head. You will very likely live and it won't be pleasant. You want to aim through the brainstem.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
Please do some more research. Do not point at the top of your head. You will very likely live and it won't be pleasant. You want to aim through the brainstem.
I try to inform myself as much as possible. I believe it is very easy to get the brainstem wrong. To hit it you have to point the gun at the roof of your mouth and slightly backwards. But how slightly? What if you go and shoot a little under the trunk? Or a little above? Will the bleeding really do the rest of the work? Or is it better to increase the caliber to be more sure of hitting the brainstem? But which caliber is the right one? The speed of the projectile is also important. Which weapon to use?
I think when it says that missiles in the coronal plane are more lethal than in the sagittal plane, it means that the gun aimed at the side of the head going to the other side of the head (coronal plane) is more deadly than if the gun was pointed under the chin or in the mouth (sagittal plane). I don't think its referring to literally aiming for the coronal or sagittal suture.

Its important to note that the study lumped in the mouth and under the chin as "sagittal plane" and that there were many more survivors submentally (under the chin) than intraorally (in the mouth). However, this goes to show that no single location is 100% successful. From the exit wounds or bullet fragment locations, it seems that in these unsuccessful attempts, the gun was aimed too much towards the face/ front of head rather than closer to the back.
Do you mean above the ear? So avoiding intraoral?

L

losingsteam3141

Grad Student USA
Aug 30, 2024
I try to inform myself as much as possible. I believe it is very easy to get the brainstem wrong. To hit it you have to point the gun at the roof of your mouth and slightly backwards. But how slightly? What if you go and shoot a little under the trunk? Or a little above? Will the bleeding really do the rest of the work? Or is it better to increase the caliber to be more sure of hitting the brainstem? But which caliber is the right one? The speed of the projectile is also important. Which weapon to use?

Do you mean above the ear? So avoiding intraoral?
No, I mean it is not clear because they combine intraoral with submental together as "sagittal plane". However from seeing the large proportion of failed attempts due to submental, I'm guessing that submental is contorbuting more to the fact that sagittal plane is less lethal than coronal. If anything, avoid submental the most. From the firearms megathread, people are saying intraoral is one of the better locations