Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I completed most of my ctb to do list, wrote 2 notes, bought most supplies, chose time, days, and location, and prepared for the event and the ctb day.

Why it fell apart? rehoming my dog is harder than expected. Sure, I could give him to any shelter or post rehoming thread online but I can't throw him to the wolves! the truth is, finding a great home for him is very difficult.

Animal shelters and rescues have many dogs available for adoption. They don't have enough resources. People are returning dogs adopted during the pandemic because they need to go back to work!

I contacted 3 rescues and a potential adopter who loves the breed! the first rescue asked follow up questions about medical conditions and ghosted me. The second one doesn't respond. The third one (breed specific rescue) asked about medical condition and ghosted me! These rescues are well-known and have very good reviews!

The potential adopter seemed fine in the beginning. I asked her a follow up question related to the medical condition before meeting her and she suddenly snapped mentioning her experience with the breed and why I am having a problem! I didn't feel comfortable at this point and decided not to proceed with a meeting.

I feel trapped. I am feeling better for no reason but I am worried about the future. Trying to stay alive for 10 years or so and finding resouces to stay alive is a nightmare. Getting my dog 3 years ago is my fault but I didn't know what I know now :(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LADY007, Angi, markimobzzdeasui and 12 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
I completed most of my ctb to do list, wrote 2 notes, bought most supplies, chose time, days, and location, and prepared for the event and the ctb day.

Why it fell apart? rehoming my dog is harder than expected. Sure, I could give him to any shelter or post rehoming thread online but I can't throw him to the wolves! the truth is, finding a great home for him is very difficult.

Animal shelters and rescues have many dogs available for adoption. They don't have enough resources. People are returning dogs adopted during the pandemic because they need to go back to work!

I contacted 3 rescues and a potential adopter who loves the breed! the first rescue asked follow up questions about medical conditions and ghosted me. The second one doesn't respond. The third one (breed specific rescue) asked about medical condition and ghosted me! These rescues are well-known and have very good reviews!

The potential adopter seemed fine in the beginning. I asked her a follow up question related to the medical condition before meeting her and she suddenly snapped mentioning her experience with the breed and why I am having a problem! I didn't feel comfortable at this point and decided not to proceed with a meeting.

I feel trapped. I am feeling better for no reason but I am worried about the future. Trying to stay alive for 10 years or so and finding resouces to stay alive is a nightmare. Getting my dog 3 years ago is my fault but I didn't know what I know now :(
I wish I could adopt your dog. Jt's been hard for me to live without a dog ever since my dog died, and I'd love a new dog. Too bad I probably live on the other side of the world, since I live in Europe. I hope you are able to find an adopter and the dog will get a good new home.

What breed if I can ask?

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat, botanormal and Crazy4u
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I wish I could adopt your dog. Jt's been hard for me to live without a dog ever since my dog died, and I'd love a new dog. Too bad I probably live on the other side of the world, since I live in Europe. I hope you are able to find an adopter and the dog will get a good new home.

What breed if I can ask?
yeah you live so far away lol. He is a pomeranian!

did you consider getting a new dog?

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat and botanormal
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
I don't know what to say, for me this would be one of the worst dilemmas to have. I will say though that your dog is lucky to have you as its owner, that you're not just dropping it off in some random kennel or leaving it in a forest/on a long road somewhere. Videos of the latter get my blood boiling.

Is dog tax a thing on this forum? Though I suppose that might be too big of a personal identifier.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Crazy4u and botanormal
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
I'm sorry that you're in such a situation. I felt really similarly when I was actively suicidal - as I am the only person in my family who cares for my dog I really dreaded what his quality of life would be like after I left. If I was to rehome my dog (personally) I had considered sending him back to his original owner - the one who bred him. She has other dogs & it'd be lovely for mine to get some friends too, but I don't know if you have that option. Did you adopt or buy?

Although online threads can be worrysome, you get to interview people before & make sure they're a good fit. Maybe you could sell him and have the potential new owners come to visit? You could take them on trial walks & such to see how it would go - that's at least what I did when I got my dog. These are probably already things you thought of, I wish I could give a better solution, your situation is tough for sure. You're doing a very kind thing by caring for him though, even when you're in such a low place, and I know your dog must thank you graciously for that. :heart:

• Love
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: Angi, Dead Meat, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I don't know what to say, for me this would be one of the worst dilemmas to have. I will say though that your dog is lucky to have you as its owner, that you're not just dropping it off in some random kennel or leaving it in a forest/on a long road somewhere. Videos of the latter get my blood boiling.

Is dog tax a thing on this forum? Though I suppose that might be too big of a personal identifier.
it is a personal choice. I consider myself cautious. My only hope is not to get in a desperate situation and get pressured to ctb quickly knowing the difficulty of finding the right home for him
I'm sorry that you're in such a situation. I felt really similarly when I was actively suicidal - as I am the only person in my family who cares for my dog I really dreaded what his quality of life would be like after I left. If I was to rehome my dog (personally) I had considered sending him back to his original owner - the one who bred him. She has other dogs & it'd be lovely for mine to get some friends too, but I don't know if you have that option. Did you adopt or buy?

Although online threads can be worrysome, you get to interview people before & make sure they're a good fit. Maybe you could sell him and have the potential new owners come to visit? You could take them on trial walks & such to see how it would go - that's at least what I did when I got my dog. These are probably already things you thought of, I wish I could give a better solution, your situation is tough for sure. You're doing a very kind thing by caring for him though, even when you're in such a low place, and I know your dog must thank you graciously for that. :heart:
I am glad to hear that you are not actively suicidal. I got him from a store as an old puppy! I can't return him and I won't because the store owners are terrible.

Your ideas are great! I try to mention his behavior and medical conditions as is. I don't want new owners to be irritated and confused about how to handle him.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, botanormal and Interloper
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
yeah you live so far away lol. He is a pomeranian!

did you consider getting a new dog?
I have considered getting a new dog. I have been on rescue sites looking for a dog, and I even messaged one breeder but never got a reply.

Dogs bring so much joy and meaning to life. They also help with my social problems and physical health and loneliness. With a dog I was much less afraid to talk with other people, and it was nice to make acquaintances. And with a dog I could go walking. I used to walk a lot every day when I had a dog. Nowadays I either get nervous walking alone in an unfamiliar environment or I have trouble even leaving the house or if I manage to go to a walk I get bored after 5 minutes and return.

I also liked to just brush her fur, clip her nails, brush her teeth, train with her, play with her, and just spending time with her doing nothing. I miss every single aspect of having a dog. I think the only bad thing about having a dog was her leg problems and the vet costs.

I really loved how the home was never empty. There was a book that said "One little pet, and you feel like you are at home, and not just in an empty house". I miss her greeting me every time she saw me. And I loved her quirks. Like laying on a smoked cigarette she found in snow. Playing in snow, catching snowballs with mouth. Running every time she was happy and excited. Doing all the tricks she knew when she begged for food. It was really nice how when she saw I had food, she would automatically start doing tricks without being asked such as sit, give paw, lie down, close a door, sit next to me (like in obedience sports), etc.

She loved food, ate almost everything, except for a few things. No need for a vacuum cleaner.

What are some nice things about your dog?

• Love
Reactions: Crazy4u
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
I have considered getting a new dog. I have been on rescue sites looking for a dog, and I even messaged one breeder but never got a reply.

Dogs bring so much joy and meaning to life. They also help with my social problems and physical health and loneliness. With a dog I was much less afraid to talk with other people, and it was nice to make acquaintances. And with a dog I could go walking. I used to walk a lot every day when I had a dog. Nowadays I either get nervous walking alone in an unfamiliar environment or I have trouble even leaving the house or if I manage to go to a walk I get bored after 5 minutes and return.

I also liked to just brush her fur, clip her nails, brush her teeth, train with her, play with her, and just spending time with her doing nothing. I miss every single aspect of having a dog. I think the only bad thing about having a dog was her leg problems and the vet costs.

I really loved how the home was never empty. There was a book that said "One little pet, and you feel like you are at home, and not just in an empty house". I miss her greeting me every time she saw me. And I loved her quirks. Like laying on a smoked cigarette she found in snow. Playing in snow, catching snowballs with mouth. Running every time she was happy and excited. Doing all the tricks she knew when she begged for food. It was really nice how when she saw I had food, she would automatically start doing tricks without being asked such as sit, give paw, lie down, close a door, sit next to me (like in obedience sports), etc.

She loved food, ate almost everything, except for a few things. No need for a vacuum cleaner.

What are some nice things about your dog?
one of my previous friends called my dog a vacuum cleaner lol. He likes to eat everything but I try to stop him because he gained weight and he had a foreign object removal surgery 2 years ago.

My dog makes me walk, smile, and talk to people. I avoid people less when I am with him. He is a comedian dog and loves everyone around him. He is so friendly and must greet everyone we meet including people I am uncomfortable with (e.g. suspicious men, animal haters, police officers who pulled me over,....)

He is also very kind and gentle. If he sees a dead bird he would approach and sniff gently to check out on them. He never tries to eat them!

My dog taught me that many things don't matter in life. He taught me to focus on what really matters. I order dog food and supplies online. He gets so happy when they arrive. He also enjoys sniffing plants and bushes outside.

He likes to guard the apartment from the bad guys lol. I think it works sometimes because I heard of robberies happening in my apartment complex but luckily nothing happened in my apartment.

• Love
Reactions: Foresight, NotStrongEnough, Angi and 1 other person