Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.0%

• Total voters
Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
South Korea and Japan have a very high suicide rate among people. I don't know if it's because of our culture or possibly our genes? 🤔

Just write how you voted in the comments

Last edited:
Reactions: davidtorez, etherealspring, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 1 other person
Sarros

Sarros

Student
Sep 2, 2021
My mom told me my grandfather killed himself. So as for my own genes, I'm probably more at risk. Can't say much about Filipinos as a whole though.

• Hugs
Reactions: davidtorez, LoiteringClouds and Venessolotic
hopelessoceanic25

hopelessoceanic25

Agony.
Nov 29, 2023
Also Asian here. I feel like it's also hell for us because mental health is not seen as a normalized thing in our culture..

• Hugs
Reactions: charcoalcat, clitoralcancer, Oneness and 7 others
No More Tears

No More Tears

I'm tired of missing the bus.
Jul 26, 2024
I had an uncle commit suicide when I was a kid. Don't know if that was a key factor in my future problems or not. I can't say I'm right, but I think whites have a larger suicide rate in the USA.

• Hugs
Reactions: davidtorez, SackOfCrap445, Venessolotic and 1 other person
jyko

jyko

Here in night city
Aug 13, 2023
i think culture and society have alot of influence and contribution toward ctb rates especially if society is built around overworking and lack of real care for the people involved, just a focus on productivity. Ive observed that being more prolific in societies like japan and SK as u mentioned, through having friends there and general reporting. im white, so i feel the culture is obvs different, but also race statistics tend to get muddled and unclear kinda globally. genes i think play a massive part, 3 generations back on each side of the family every person in my family has tried to or successfully ctb and that trend isnt stopping with me.

• Hugs
Reactions: badtothebone, GuessWhosBack, potablewater784 and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
East Asian

Reactions: newave3, Rocinante, ijustwishtodie and 2 others
iamanavalanche

iamanavalanche

fast words, deliverance
May 20, 2024
im half japanese and all of that side of my family has depression/PTSD including me haha.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and Minsu
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
South Korea and Japan have a very high suicide rate among people. I don't know if it's because of our culture or possibly our genes? 🤔
Japan's suicide rate has been on the decline for years now and there are plenty of non-asian countries with high suicide rates. Also, race is a social construct (hence why there is more genetic diversity within different racial categories than between them), so I don't know if it would even be a good marker to go by when looking at genetics. There have been conversations in certain fields about abandoning the use of it.

Suicide rates are likely going to have more to do with issues regarding things like culture and socioeconomic status.

(Also, I'm mixed)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ash, Moniker, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 6 others
grungy自殺

grungy自殺

All apologies.....
Jan 9, 2024
Hispanic

I always feel and also often left behind as the only one that feels out of place in my peers and family as i feel out of aligned with the language and the culture of them
which is often due to my disinterest as a infant and my inability to absorb and handle two different languages with two different social standards

Reactions: myusername890, tunnelV and MatrixPrisoner
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm Asian and while a big part of my trauma stems from the hard ways of my Asian dad, my mom was pretty nice for the most part and I don't really think my race has anything to do with my suicidality. Even other Asians I know of got beaten way worse by their parents so I think I just happen to be a really weak and pathetic example of one. I also didn't even experience any real racism or culture differences because I grew up in a part of America where almost everyone else was some other type of Asian as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: damienlerone03 and kinderbueno
grungy自殺

grungy自殺

All apologies.....
Jan 9, 2024

I think it's just a combination of factors that is leading to the cause and perception of high rates in those places

i'm not so familiar with korea and their suicides rates, but i know in japan it's often point out to how much a stress wart of a culture that it's engulfed in

alot of people there are overworked (a term for it is called 過労死 or karoshi which is the term to describe death by overwork) and many young kids are often pressured to get high grades to secure themselves to a college or university (which is btw probably even worse than the way that they have to endure in high school)
the culture is often emphasized by collectiveness of putting others first before you and prioritize the work to get it done with others to meet the success and deadline

And it's often done in a way that would quite completely sacrifice the mental being of one person that wants time and break for themselves for them to show deference
for their Superiors and the company of many

And if you can kinda guess the result of people trying to please others and have unbalance to have relaxing periods for the sake of your work (and hell i would like to mention that the job market over there is ruthless, which is probably way worse than here in america) is often the drive for many folks there to commit suicide

Last edited:
JaegerCA

JaegerCA

Fk the Marine Corps
Jul 14, 2024
Idk why, but off-the-boat Asians in America seem to not give any fucks about anything. Maybe they've just been through so much shit over there, nothing is shock to them here. At least the majority where I live seem like that.

Reactions: LifeQuitter, GuessWhosBack and tunnelV
cowboypants

cowboypants

From milkyway
May 7, 2024
Indian here, we have lots of expectation to perform well and go abroad. That's the upper middle class I'm talking about. Population is too high as you know, cities are too crowded. Traffic is terrible. Pollution is high as everyone tries to save their last buck.

Jobs are hard to come by for an educated individual amongst tough competition for meagre salaries. Around 90% of the population are engaged in traditional work meaning not going to like a big company for work they will do agri or something else. It's quite hard for me believe cause only that 10% kinda pay direct taxes. Not exactly but you get the picture. Indirect taxes on fuel etc are high so that's that.

There isnt much room for mental illness in the society here. I'm just one of the cogs that needs to do its thing or get pushed out

• Hugs
Reactions: Minsu and kinderbueno
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
My race is human.

• Yay!
Reactions: LifeQuitter, wCvML2, GuessWhosBack and 2 others
Steff1337

Steff1337

Autistic and schizophrenic, please be respectful
Jun 21, 2024
East European. My family doesn't have a history of suicide.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I'm Asian and while a big part of my trauma stems from the hard ways of my Asian dad, my mom was pretty nice for the most part and I don't really think my race has anything to do with my suicidality. Even other Asians I know of got beaten way worse by their parents so I think I just happen to be a really weak and pathetic example of one.
Corporal punishment has decades of research pointing to it being bad, so feeling traumatized by your dad's actions isn't a sign of you being weak. It's expected. I had a friend who, when I was younger, talked about how whenever her mother would hit her she would go to her room and pray to God and ask him if he could tell her stop because it would her so much emotionally. She never hit her hard enough to cause bruising or to leave marks, but it clearly did hurt a lot psychologically. Abuse and maltreatment is very normalized amongst BIPOC households, so most people don't tend to notice or acknowledge their trauma. To add onto this, being dysfunctional as an adult is also, in some capacity, normalized. A good example of this is with drinking. Being a functional alcoholic is normalize in many parts of the world.

Along with that, people have different capacities for what they can psychologically handle, so something that might be traumatic for one person isn't necessarily going to be traumatic to another person. For example, I've witnessed my stepmother physically and verbally abuse my dad while trashing our apartment and I'm not traumatized. Meanwhile, I've seen people who have talked about being traumatized from witnessing their parents constantly getting in screaming matches. Everyone has a different threshold for what they can handle and there isn't anything wrong with that.

• Aww..
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: DrearyAsh348, Dr Iron Arc and Downdraft
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Asian here as well. I feel like life for us is either succeed wildly in lfe or die. No in between.

Reactions: sserafim and ijustwishtodie
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I'm white. And in my exact situation. Maybe. I think if I was a different skin color I would've gotten help for what happened to me. I think people would've cared far more about the crimes committed against me. But because I'm white people just assume I had a good life and don't need to. Plus people could've prostituted me out there for their own interests.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, Minsu and tunnelV
I wish to be happy

I wish to be happy

May 13, 2024

I'm mixed, it makes me feel like I'm the product of a fetish so you can guess what the mix is.

• Hugs
Reactions: tunnelV
tunnelV

tunnelV

Misanthrope is my religion
Oct 19, 2023
I'm mixed, it makes me feel like I'm the product of a fetish so you can guess what the mix is.
I'm mixed too, probably the most common one in American history. You shouldn't feel bad even if that was the case. What your parents did or didn't do doesn't involve you as your own person.

mckf

mckf

Jul 25, 2024
I'm Asian but born and grew up in Australia. Culture really does impact a lot. Many Asian parents having children due to societal expectations and treating them like puppets. Many of my Asian friends who have parents who have adopted more of a Western culture tend to be more inclusive, loving and happier than the first-generation immigrant parents from Asia like mine. From the expectations, lack of care of mental health, poor communication, abuse, etc.

This would be on a whole other level in Asia itself. I've heard from friends working in Asia like Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, China ,etc, that the working culture and expectations are crazy, you work 12+ hours a day and you are barely living to make ends meet. Its the same for their schooling and university, the competition and standards are just so high. That explains why so many Asians come to Australia to start a life here, whether its from university or work.

Reactions: sserafim
Cyagangy

Cyagangy

Self Immolation fr fr
Apr 27, 2024
I don't think it's really common for other black people to die via suicide but we aren't really known as the group that gets the best healthcare out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love
Reactions: AtotheL, tsykoais, N33dT0D13 and 1 other person
hawkshorizon

hawkshorizon

Aug 23, 2023
I'm not sure race is as great a factor as other demographic markers for suicide. It's an interesting question however and would make a cool study.

Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I'm white, with a long history of mental health issues in my family dating several generations. Several of them aren't even that distant and ranged from OD, hanging to rat poison.

I don't think my race has anything to do with my problems but more so my traumatic life and my genes. It's hard to be taken seriously though and I think that is because I'm white and because I have a "good life" on paper. Had psychiatrists telling me that, with the life I had, I could have been an addict now but yet I have a well paying job so I'm clearly not doing that badly.

Sick and tired of psychiatrists and for being blamed for actually having worked hard as fuck to get to where I am now. Literally put blood, sweat and tears into this miserable life to then be dismissed. People will only learn when they find me dead.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Minsu, Praestat_Mori, Jeav and 1 other person
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I think it's practically all due to culture / Society what u believe and do.

What did u know at 1 day old, 1 week , 11 month, 6 months? Not much . All human infants do the same things so that's what evolution programmed in . Whatever the infant learns after being born which language which religion etc is taught to them the brain learns it. The brain is even learning at least 3 months before being born as the brain can hear the mothers voice and other sounds.

A human infant doesn't know that is them in a mirror . Only after 1 year and a half do human infants understand that Is them in the mirror. So it takes the brain about 2 years to finally figure out that is them in the mirror and to get A sense of self. That is learned 2 years to learn it . And about at least 6 years to understand what Death is . That Death is inevitable , permanent, universal, irreversible the permanent cessation of life.

Most Other animals don't know that's them in the mirror even when adults do how can they know what Death is?

Last edited:
Reactions: ijustwishtodie
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Corporal punishment has decades of research pointing to it being bad, so feeling traumatized by your dad's actions isn't a sign of you being weak. It's expected. I had a friend who, when I was younger, talked about how whenever her mother would hit her she would go to her room and pray to God and ask him if he could tell her stop because it would her so much emotionally. She never hit her hard enough to cause bruising or to leave marks, but it clearly did hurt a lot psychologically. Abuse and maltreatment is very normalized amongst BIPOC households, so most people don't tend to notice or acknowledge their trauma. To add onto this, being dysfunctional as an adult is also, in some capacity, normalized. A good example of this is with drinking. Being a functional alcoholic is normalize in many parts of the world.

Along with that, people have different capacities for what they can psychologically handle, so something that might be traumatic for one person isn't necessarily going to be traumatic to another person. For example, I've witnessed my stepmother physically and verbally abuse my dad while trashing our apartment and I'm not traumatized. Meanwhile, I've seen people who have talked about being traumatized from witnessing their parents constantly getting in screaming matches. Everyone has a different threshold for what they can handle and there isn't anything wrong with that.
I suppose you're right that some people handle abuse differently, though it often feels like other Asians at least have received similar punishments to what I took and instead of being inept like me they still made it work and they got great lives as doctors or engineers to show for it. The reason I say I didn't have it relatively as bad is because only my father beat me and only when I got grades lower than a B. I knew another Asian kid who was once beat by both of his parents at the same time because he missed an extra credit problem on a test. He scored 107% but it wasn't enough for his parents. Last I checked from Facebook, this guy worked at Google, then Facebook itself, then retired at the age of 25 with enough money to support him and his parents for the rest of their lives. Oh yeah and he got married last year too. I'm not that close to him anymore but I'm sure if I asked, he'd say he was grateful for his parents pushing him all those years ago.😕

I am not condoning his parents' methods. Far from it. That example is cartoonishly hyperbolic and I wish it weren't real but even though it is real I still believe there are so many other members of all races who have been abused to near death and were still able to move past it. Me being unable to proceed in life has nothing to do with my race, just with me being useless and inept in general.

I do have a lot of fear from listening to my parents argue all the time to the point where I refuse to learn Mandarin Chinese because the language itself just reminds me of their yelling. Other Chinese people tell me this is ridiculous and I should just get over it and I could be so successful if I just learned Chinese but I just. Don't want to.

• Hugs
Reactions: DrearyAsh348 and EvisceratedJester
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I'm asian but I'd be suicidal regardless of what race I am. The issue for me is life itself and how life requires so much effort. This is true regardless of race

• Hugs
Reactions: Oneness, sserafim, Minsu and 2 others
S

SackOfCrap445

Jul 27, 2024
I don't think it's really common for other black people to die via suicide but we aren't really known as the group that gets the best healthcare out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lately it's been increasing a lot for us, lack of healthcare has caught up

Reactions: AtotheL
Spectre

Spectre

I am serious about not taking things seriously
Nov 27, 2023
I use to think I was the only suicidal Black person in the world. Now I know their are at least three others.

• Love
Reactions: AtotheL and tsykoais
Minsu

Minsu

♀️🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
I'm asian but I'd be suicidal regardless of what race I am. The issue for me is life itself and how life requires so much effort. This is true regardless of race
But the question is if we Asians (especially Kor and Jap ones) aren't more prone to get depressed. And depression leads to desire to ctb

Reactions: ijustwishtodie