membo

Sep 14, 2020
Why do you like it?

Reactions: bubo and alonely
silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
Razor blade. Quick and efficient, size doesn't matter.

Reactions: H.O.Xan and membo
M

membo

Sep 14, 2020
Razor blade. Quick and efficient, size doesn't matter.
Any specific type? I like the rectangular blades and get a box from the hardware store with a built-in slot for disposing them. A box of 25 so I can take a fresh one every time.

silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
Any specific type? I like the rectangular blades and get a box from the hardware store with a built-in slot for disposing them. A box of 25 so I can take a fresh one every time.
I usually got mine from a mini pencil sharpener! Even though they're tiny they cut super deep. If I'm desperate and have no tools I'll just go for any knife or blade. Maybe a lighter, even.

Reactions: membo
M

membo

Sep 14, 2020
Hm. The pencil sharpeners are something I haven't tried. But sharp and cheap sounds good. Are they so good that you'd go out of your way to buy one?

alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
Thumbtack. Good for feeling the pain and a tool with good control. Not so sharp so I don't go deeper than intended, my goal isn't depth or blood, just pain. And since it doesn't go deep it doesn't scar in a noticeable way. And I can go over and over the same spot or make lots of different lines. Pain makes my brain calm down.

Reactions: ApparentlyNot, membo and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
when I wasn't recovering I preferred paper knives/utility knives and box cutter razor blade refills the first for how easy it was to travel with and the second because of size

but when I first started recovering as a not so harmful alternative to stop craving SH and pain to distract my emotions I used to put binder clips on my hands to recover because the rubber band thing didn't work or I would just put my hands in layers of candle wax

M

membo

Sep 14, 2020
Thumbtack. Good for feeling the pain and a tool with good control. Not so sharp so I don't go deeper than intended, my goal isn't depth or blood, just pain. And since it doesn't go deep it doesn't scar in a noticeable way. And I can go over and over the same spot or make lots of different lines. Pain makes my brain calm down.
You scrape with it at an angle I take it? Sounds like a good approach! I used a dull serrated table knife for the same effect.

• Wow
Reactions: Asingletwig
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
wouldnt say favourite but my go to is cutting, i have a box of like a hundred or two hundred razor blade refills, theyre rly thin and kinda hard to use sometimes, but way better than the pencil sharpener blades that id been using as a kid, id like to try other tools like box cutters and knives. theres a lot more control with cutting than with other methods, which i personally like as i like being in control of how deep and long the wounds are. i also really like seeing myself bleed/blood in general, and love picking the scabs off the wounds as they heal. not a fan of the clean up tho, or the itchiness.

alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
You scrape with it at an angle I take it? Sounds like a good approach! I used a dull serrated table knife for the same effect.
no particular angle, mostly perpendicular to the skin or however it naturally pulls with the pressure

lokabe82

lokabe82

To infinity and beyond
Jun 16, 2023
18G needle. It's so sharp that it doesn't take much to bleed a lot.

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
Matches. I usually struggle with lighters and they are not as satisfactory. With matches, they burn better than the lighters I have and I don't have to try more than twice to light them.
I generally prefer burning to cutting due to the fact that I find replacing stuff and upkeep a hassle. The blades I've used have always dulled too quick for my liking.

KuroiSH

KuroiSH

bus tickets are expensive
Mar 29, 2023
Box cutter. They can get out of hand quick, but I'm a bit of a masochist so I don't mind.

Reactions: psp3000 and membo
bluesoapyskies

bluesoapyskies

Aug 4, 2023
Why do you like it?
i used to use sewing pins when i was younger because i was super scared of pain and scarring. id go quick and fast. right after itd like scary because your arm would be all red and puffy but the cuts were more like scrapes. theyd heal in a week or so so i guess its a good method if youre not looking for anything thats scars.

recently though i use a razor. it cuts deep and ive begun to actually like the scarring. it feels deserved. the blood too is much more noticeable.

Vivisection

Vivisection

Limited edition!
Jul 3, 2023
mini boxcutter!!
you can get pretty big, cheap packs of them on amazon and other places

DestinyRot707

DestinyRot707

May 12, 2023
i like trapezoid blades- like for utility knives? i dont like the handle though, just the blade. it makes it easier for me to hold my skin still especially one-handed since i like my wrists best. ive used rectangle blades too but they cant poke as well so i dont like them as much but ive got lots of them
ive tried burning myself but i really hate the blisters i think they look ugly and it just doesnt feel as good but i used an old lighter for that

Reactions: psp3000 and membo
Gloomislost

Gloomislost

Pet the bunnies for me · 18
Jul 27, 2023
Pencil sharpener blades are what I prefer cuz it leaves bigger scars on myself. I would like to get the "classic" razor blade because they seem so much smoother to use rather than a small pencil sharpener blade. I did order a utility knife so maybe that'll be better idk.

ANONYMOUSM

ANONYMOUSM

Aug 5, 2023
i mainly sh by banging my head or peeling my skin and nails till i bleed

• Aww..
Reactions: アホペンギン and membo
Maeve

Maeve

The screaming never stops
Jul 17, 2023
Cutting with razorblades they are cheap and easy to hide

ApparentlyNot

ApparentlyNot

Thanks for all the cats.
Jul 8, 2023
Scissors for pain and accessibility, or straight razors for satisfying cuts and blood letting. Depends on what I'm looking for, although I haven't SH in years.

Something dull like a kitchen knife or scissors is ideal because it is very painful but does not cut deep and thus scar. However, I find I need to be in significant emotional distress to be ballsy enough to get a satisfying cut with something like safety scissors, so it doesn't work for me for more "casual" cutting if that makes sense.

My issue with straight razors and the like is that they scar so easily; I understand why they are popular because they create these almost painless sharp cuts that produce significant blood, and then provide a sustained moderate pain for hours or even days (which I find very "enjoyable" for lack of a better word). However, I'm 28 now, and I have TONS of little scars all over my arms from the few times I used razors, over a decade ago, which is why I simply cannot advocate for it. My scars are very annoying to deal with in my adult life. I'd probably go for the razors personally if it wasn't for the scarring.

I was thinking of going back to SH as, ironically, sort of a "healthy" coping mechanism compared to CTB or doing hard drugs. But I really don't want to deal with having to cover up wounds or worrying about scarring. I was trying to think of something non cutting related. I am also in the process of getting laser hair removal on my entire body, so every month I have to be completely butt ass naked in front of a nurse or two, so I really can't cut, unless it is a singular cut that doesn't look self inflicted or uniform. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: 𝑪𝒉𝒐𝒄𝒐𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒄 and Asingletwig
sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
I usually scratch myself until I bleed. I guess it depends on why you self harm, but I usually do it as a distraction & it works best for me. It kind of burns and it takes a while to break the skin.

Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
A classic razor blade, but rn I'm 1 week clear from SH.

• Hugs
Reactions: stilldreaming
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
These days, it's staying up way too late and ruining my sleep schedule. Currently doing so at the moment. Hurray...

When I went through an extraordinarily bad period in my life, a small ceramic knife or box cutter did the trick. For me, it was about causing some quick physical pain to interrupt the unbearable emotional pain. It worked, and was such a relief. So, for me, self-harm was just a tool to manage some severe emotional distress. To this day, I don't know how else I could've managed.

But the staying up late these days, that's just some good old fashioned desire to make life difficult for myself 🤷‍♀️ (If I had access to sleeping pills, I wouldn't mind knocking out early and sleeping for 10+ hours, but doctors don't like prescribing those where I am, so late nights / early mornings it is)

Reactions: Mndcntrl and ApparentlyNot
M

membo

Sep 14, 2020
These days, it's staying up way too late and ruining my sleep schedule. Currently doing so at the moment. Hurray...

When I went through an extraordinarily bad period in my life, a small ceramic knife or box cutter did the trick. For me, it was about causing some quick physical pain to interrupt the unbearable emotional pain. It worked, and was such a relief. So, for me, self-harm was just a tool to manage some severe emotional distress. To this day, I don't know how else I could've managed.

But the staying up late these days, that's just some good old fashioned desire to make life difficult for myself 🤷‍♀️ (If I had access to sleeping pills, I wouldn't mind knocking out early and sleeping for 10+ hours, but doctors don't like prescribing those where I am, so late nights / early mornings it is)
That's kind of me. Good ol self sabotage. Melatonin and CBD usually do it for me. Or alcohol. Start early and pass out. But... I'm not sure that's any healthier. Sometimes I feel good in the morning if I get 8-12 hours.

S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
That's kind of me. Good ol self sabotage. Melatonin and CBD usually do it for me. Or alcohol. Start early and pass out. But... I'm not sure that's any healthier. Sometimes I feel good in the morning if I get 8-12 hours.
I was fine when I still had my melatonin, unfortunately where I live it's not available OTC. I don't drink alcohol either, though I know a lot of people use it to help fall asleep faster (though they do say it leads to worse quality of sleep). I like to dream though of getting something prescribed and knocking myself out early, that's nicer than the late night hours of unhappiness. (Though the grogginess the next day is unpleasant, but still not as bad as the late nights)

What I do now is when I do go to bed, I read until I'm too tired to do so. At least I'm reading I guess?

M

membo

Sep 14, 2020
I was fine when I still had my melatonin, unfortunately where I live it's not available OTC. I don't drink alcohol either, though I know a lot of people use it to help fall asleep faster (though they do say it leads to worse quality of sleep). I like to dream though of getting something prescribed and knocking myself out early, that's nicer than the late night hours of unhappiness. (Though the grogginess the next day is unpleasant, but still not as bad as the late nights)

What I do now is when I do go to bed, I read until I'm too tired to do so. At least I'm reading I guess?
That sounds healthy. I stay up on chat and surfing. Which I hate and I'm opposed to in principle. But, see: self-sabotage. I hate it. I wish I would just turn it off and turn off the lights and at least try to sleep.

This may help. It sounds like snake oil, but there are scientific papers proving its effectiveness, tons of people swear by it, and it works for me, too. Some of the best binaural beats (you don't even hear them, they're worked into the music, this company pioneered them 50 years ago).

- https://info.monroeinstitute.org/get-expand-app
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hemisync.hemisyncflow

App is a little clunky, but the difference is in the audio files. Calms me down and knocks me out in 10 min.

They both have sites that sell digital downloads and CDs, too.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: ApparentlyNot and stilldreaming