• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
What's your favorite language? I guess mine is German, it has cool words like "entwurf". I only became aware of that word because it was the name of a kpop album, but I feel like I've heard it before somewhere…idk when I heard it I got a feeling of nostalgia and it felt kind of familiar. Weird, right?

Last edited:
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
Japanese🧸i think it's the most beautiful language, but i might be biased bc that's 1 of the most prominent ethnicities i'm mixed with, lol. i'd <3 to be fluent in it, but ofc it's 1 of the most difficult languages to learn. i can only say 1 full sentence in it & a few common words/phrases💀

my fav Japanese saying is utsukushii kokoro. my gpa used to say it to me all the time growing up, it means pure/beautiful heart. unfortunately i wasn't able to fulfill his wish of always keeping my <3 that way, but i still love it.

G

Grumble

Lingering
Aug 25, 2018
Ummm, I think I default to English because it's the only one I understand and I feel like an idiot any time I attempt to grasp another.

Otherwise, probably something Scandinavian? I recently watched a movie in Norwegian, and I swear I liked the sound of the dialogue so much that I could have watched it without subtitles and still enjoyed it.

Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
Latin, my first language is Spanish so I was able to learn latin a bit easier than others. It's completely useless but it's fun being able to at least partly speak and read a language no one else knows. Also, lots of media utilize simple phrases in latin so it's cool being able to notice them and translate them. Besides that probably Japanese, I only know basic phrases and only know hiragana and katakana but it's such a beautiful language.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Latin, my first language is Spanish so I was able to learn latin a bit easier than others. It's completely useless but it's fun being able to at least partly speak and read a language no one else knows. Also, lots of media utilize simple phrases in latin so it's cool being able to notice them and translate them. Besides that probably Japanese, I only know basic phrases and only know hiragana and katakana but it's such a beautiful language.
English is my first language but I also know some Latin, and I think it's interesting how the romance languages are based off of it. I know some Spanish as well because they taught it to us in elementary school. I know some French too, as well as another language which I'm fluent in which I won't say on here cuz I don't wanna be doxxed haha.

Last edited:
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
English is my first language as well but I also know some Latin, and I think it's interesting how the romance languages are based off of it. I know some Spanish as well because they taught it to us in elementary school. I know some French too, as well as another language which I'm fluent in which I won't say on here cuz I don't wanna be doxxed haha.
I can understand a lot of the Romance languages just with Latin and Spanish, it's pretty nice being able to discern what someone is saying without knowing too much about the language, though I have trouble speaking back to in their language. It's cool that you know quite a few different languages too, I only knew Spanish and English until a couple years ago when I started trying to learn more languages.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I only like English because it's the only language I know. I studied some French in high school and my parents should have taught me Mandarin Chinese but I don't feel like learning it.

Japanese is probably the only other language I'd want to learn but I don't care enough to actually learn.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I only like English because it's the only language I know. I studied some French in high school and my parents should have taught me Mandarin Chinese but I don't feel like learning it.

Japanese is probably the only other language I'd want to learn but I don't care enough to actually learn.
I've always wanted to be fluent in French but I haven't been able to...

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I've always wanted to be fluent in French but I haven't been able to...

I was enjoying learning the language until the third year where they introduced something with participles that I could never figure out because there wasn't a good English equivalent…

Besides this is all one really needs to know anyway:
dexters laboratory omelette du fromage GIF

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I like melodic languages, English, French, English with french accent is super cute, Japanese... I used to like Russian, but I hate Russian politics and the way this country is headed... so that kinda ruined the language for me.
Swedish sounds nice too.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
English is my first language but I also know some Latin, and I think it's interesting how the romance languages are based off of it. I know some Spanish as well because they taught it to us in elementary school. I know some French too, as well as another language which I'm fluent in which I won't say on here cuz I don't wanna be doxxed haha.
Loquerisne latine? Lingua Latina mihi placet. Est mater multae linguae! In ludo linguam latinam didici. Etiam lingua anglica et germanica mihi placet.

Last edited:
Eternal Pessimist

Eternal Pessimist

Student
Oct 16, 2019
Italian sounds very nice to me pretty much every time I hear it, although I don't really understand any of it. French can sound nice, but it's heavily dependent on the speaker and their voice and accent. For example, even though she's not a native speaker from what I understand, Jodie Foster's French is lovely. Just like with Italian, I don't understand any of it but it sounds beautiful.

LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Besides that probably Japanese, I only know basic phrases and only know hiragana and katakana but it's such a beautiful language.
I've always liked Japanese, Chinese and Korean.
Japanese is probably the only other language I'd want to learn
I like melodic languages, English, French, English with french accent is super cute, Japanese...
I might be lucky - my mother tongue is Japanese.

my fav Japanese saying is utsukushii kokoro. my gpa used to say it to me all the time growing up, it means pure/beautiful heart. unfortunately i wasn't able to fulfill his wish of always keeping my <3 that way, but i still love it.
I love writing my own Tanka (a Japanese poem which has 5-7-5-7-7 syllable pattern.)
An example:

美しき
森の木々の葉
巡る四季
綴る言の葉
響きゆかしき

(Hepburn:
utsukushiki
mori no kigi no ha
meguru shiki
tsuduru koto no ha
hibiki yukashiki
)
Note: rhyming is optional - only pathological rhymers do that I guess ;)

Meaning:
Beautiful leaves of trees come and go along with four seasons.
Words describe them sound pleasant.

But I've been verbally abused in Japanese, to the point where I started to fear the language itself...
(I fear what other people wrote but am not afraid of my own words.)
So in my free time I mostly use English.

What's your favorite language?

I developed fear of Japanese,
But in English, I could talk with ease.
Even though it's not my mother tongue,
I can learn it because I'm still young!

I really love English!
It actualized my wish -
On this forum, I could relate,
To those who share cruel fate.

Ton of feelings I repressed,
Could finally be expressed!
At last I could turn the tide -
Long live Sanctioned Suicide!

Sorry to be weird.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
But I've been verbally abused in Japanese, to the point where I started to fear the language itself...
This is exactly how I feel about Mandarin Chinese. I've got too many bad memories of my parents yelling at each other at the top of their lungs in this language and my father yelling at me in it as well. The thought of me speaking in this language usually reminds me of those days I'd rather not think about…

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
I'm slightly biased towards romance languages and I learned French in school. My favourite is Italian. All of these languages sound very similar and share so much vocabulary that you can easily understand one language if written down even if you don't speak it. They all sound very melodic too.

Also love the language of my people, Low German. The Lower German dialect is the most soft and pretty out of them all. German is highly complex and exact in description of conveying meaning through words. It's easy to write with just a little effort eloquent sentences. It's perfect for writing poems. It is an extremely powerful and romantic language.

RemainingDubious

RemainingDubious

Most men only receive flowers at their funeral.
Feb 18, 2024
What's your favorite language?
Love.

i find words are often meaningless. People say things they don't mean. Words get too out of context. Spoken languages create barriers and are rather constricted.

i find it frustrating having to attempt to find the words to attempt to express my thoughts and/or feelings. Important details tend to get lost in translation.

i personally find it annoying too how a spoken language is forced upon us. We have to mimic sounds someone decided should be the standard for a location way back when? Whose choice are we even mimicking?

With the english language for example what is the actual point of silent letters? Did someone forget to come up with english words for things like déjà vụ and cliché?

A lot of english are rather racist and seem to be highly offended when people are here speaking another language.
It's ridiculous especially when most english can't speak Welsh and/or Gaelic (Both Scottish and Irish) too.
Some "united" kingdom huh?
I think Finnish is really interesting! I would have liked to have lived in Finland if I had the chance. Snowy, people leave you alone, very low crime rate (a plus from me).
They have the home of Santa, had HIM and still have The 69 Eyes 🎸🤘🏻
Finland seems pretty awesome, except from eating reindeers.

Last edited:
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I might be lucky - my mother tongue is Japanese.

I love writing my own Tanka (a Japanese poem which has 5-7-5-7-7 syllable pattern.)
An example:

美しき
森の木々の葉
巡る四季
綴る言の葉
響きゆかしき

(Hepburn:
utsukushiki
mori no kigi no ha
meguru shiki
tsuduru koto no ha
hibiki yukashiki
)
Note: rhyming is optional - only pathological rhymers do that I guess ;)

Meaning:
Beautiful leaves of trees come and go along with four seasons.
Words describe them sound pleasant.

I developed fear of Japanese,
But in English, I could talk with ease.
Even though it's not my mother tongue,
I can learn it because I'm still young!

I really love English!
It actualized my wish -
On this forum, I could relate,
To those who share cruel fate.

Ton of feelings I repressed,
Could finally be expressed!
At last I could turn the tide -
Long live Sanctioned Suicide!

Sorry to be weird.
Lol I can read some Japanese
This is exactly how I feel about Mandarin Chinese. I've got too many bad memories of my parents yelling at each other at the top of their lungs in this language and my father yelling at me in it as well. The thought of me speaking in this language usually reminds me of those days I'd rather not think about…
I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Asian parents are a whole different hell
Arabic is cool and I want to learn it
Same! I've always wanted to learn Arabic because I have an affinity for the Middle East
I was enjoying learning the language until the third year where they introduced something with participles that I could never figure out because there wasn't a good English equivalent…

Besides this is all one really needs to know anyway:
dexters laboratory omelette du fromage GIF
Lol or "je suis un pizza"

Last edited:
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Deutsche Sprache, schwere und schöne Sprache. "Mit dem Angriff Steiners wird das alles in Ordnung kommen...."
"Mein Führer...Steiner konnte nicht genügend Kräfte für einen Angriff lancieren. Der Angriff Steiner ist nicht erfolgt."
*Hitler shakes and takes his glasses off* In the end he starts shouting "Der Angriff Steiners war ein Befehl!"

I am a German and this video is a classic it shows the beauty of the German language. The video is often edited with funny fake subtitles in a lot of great videos. On a serious note the German language is only infamous because of fucking Hitler's shouting this asshole.

My favorite language is probably German because it is my native language and the best language I can speak. I hate certain aspects of German though like the different cases in grammar. I love English a lot and it helps so much if one wants to achieve something. It is such a useful and beautiful language.

Last edited:
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
The major languages for intellectuals, going back in time, Arabic was the language of science, then Greek, then German & French. (Roman = Latin), especially for the Western world, but one should not overlook Chinese and Japanese.

Regarding a second language, in chemistry German is the best second language. A lot of innovative chemistry is published in German (although it is probably not as dominant as it once was). In literature French & Russian are but many cultures have great literature, so I don't have strong feelings on that one. In business Chinese probably is by now. Russian is a great language for physics.

For a future global language: English is great at picking up words from other languages. Many languages will contribute a few words each, and the major languages will contribute many words each. English is a blend of many of the world's languages, and is likely to be more so.

Art is a compact way of conveying information. As such, it sits alongside language, genomes, etc., as something innate in a universe of sufficient complexity. It is a continuum, not an all or nothing thing.

This universe appears to obey principles that can be expressed using mathematics, so I look at mathematics as a tool/language for describing what the universe does. is our best shot at a universal language among technologically advanced species.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I like melodic languages, English, French, English with french accent is super cute, Japanese... I used to like Russian, but I hate Russian politics and the way this country is headed... so that kinda ruined the language for me.
Swedish sounds nice too.
I like Russian too, I think it's an interesting language. It looks and sounds super cool

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I think that Russian can kind of sound cool, and I really admire that they have a lot of words for terms that we don't have in English. German also sounds pretty cool. I really like the romance languages, particularly French which I grew up speaking. They are very beautiful. I think Latin can also be very beautiful like Gregorian Chant. I think the Buschmann languages with the clicks are very fascinating. I think languages like Swahili are very cool because you can say one word, and it can be equivalent to an entire sentence worth of information. I've always been curious about Sanskrit. I think that as far as the language of mathematics geometry has an inherent beauty to it. I think it's amazing how many dialects Chinese has. I always find non-conventional languages just in the traditional sense things like sign language to be very interesting, things like Morse code. I don't really know about computer languages to comment on that. I've always been very curious about the language and communication capabilities of animals like the different tones.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I think that Russian can kind of sound cool, and I really admire that they have a lot of words for terms that we don't have in English. German also sounds pretty cool. I really like the romance languages, particularly French which I grew up speaking. They are very beautiful. I think Latin can also be very beautiful like Gregorian Chant. I think the Buschmann languages with the clicks are very fascinating. I think languages like Swahili are very cool because you can say one word, and it can be equivalent to an entire sentence worth of information. I've always been curious about Sanskrit. I think that as far as the language of mathematics geometry has an inherent beauty to it. I think it's amazing how many dialects Chinese has. I always find non-conventional languages just in the traditional sense things like sign language to be very interesting, things like Morse code. I don't really know about computer languages to comment on that. I've always been very curious about the language and communication capabilities of animals like the different tones.
Japanese also has a lot of words for concepts that we don't have words for

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Japanese also has a lot of words for concepts that we don't have words for
That's true of all languages.
With the english language for example what is the actual point of silent letters?
They're historical relics. This happens to all scripts and orthographies that I can think if, even Indian ones, which are infinitely more rational than European ones: phonology continues to evolve, leaving script behind.
Did someone forget to come up with english words for things like déjà vụ and cliché?
Again, there's nothing particularly English about this. Each language is its own worldview, and contains words that have no equivalent in others. Languages that spread for political reasons, such as English, Spanish, Arabic, Sanskrit, absorb a lot of vocabulary from the autochthonous languages of the regions they invade, but any language has this capacity.
A lot of english are rather racist and seem to be highly offended when people are here speaking another language.
Travel a bit. This is just the way of the world.

Last edited: