FriesLovee

FriesLovee

Aug 23, 2024
Hi
It's such a sad feeling and it makes everything worse . I joined this site to hopefully make friends and I did and some few really good ones at that . Unfortunately I realized quickly that I can't do anything to try to even continue these friendship , my friends will end up eventually either ctb or hopefully recover . But we're here to be honest and I will be . It sucks and it's selfish for me to even think that . But f*** I hate this feeling . my friends used to play games with me and now we're adults and I feel like I'm the last one remaining . Everytime I play it reminds me of them and no game is enjoyable without them . Same will go for this site . My goal was to make long term friends here because u can actually talk about Anything Here without being judged .
I hate to see an amazing person ctb , and for my friends that will hopefully recover I will be so sad that we won't talk as much . Makes me really miss them even if I know them for a week . I don't think it matters how long u know someone , I can meet someone for a week and feel like they've been a better friend than anyone else I've had .
Anyways I'm just rambling about nothing , it's just gonna suck when people move on from you whether they recover or ctb 😞

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Just_Another_Person, wondering&wandering, binturong and 3 others
opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
It's not a simple thing at all, it's honestly quite complex. If you enter into a friendship knowing the other persons wants (whether CTB or not) and when you have friends, you want to see them be ok, and sometimes that means them leaving this place forever. It is absolutely emotionally complicated as hell but I feel honored to have earned the trust of anyone to trust me in their final days or moments, as life has done so many of us badly. We should just try to be good to each other. My first friend here moved further into recovery and even though we don't talk like before, I hope the best for them. Your feelings are valid<3 it's ok to feel sad about it, that's not what I'm trying to say. It is human to feel sad when someone moves out of our reality, alive or not.<3

• Love
Reactions: wondering&wandering, -Link-, binturong and 2 others
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I keep myself arms length from everyone here. It's unhealthy to get attached to someone knowing you or them may CTB at any time. And mentally ill people aren't always the most stable in general. It's a recipe to get hurt. I have people I enjoy chatting with in threads from time to time but I wouldn't let myself become a true friend to someone here. The risk is not worth any potential reward.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: wondering&wandering, Hollowman, CantDoIt and 4 others
FriesLovee

FriesLovee

Aug 23, 2024
I keep myself arms length from everyone here. It's unhealthy to get attached to someone knowing you or them may CTB at any time. And mentally ill people aren't always the most stable in general. It's a recipe to get hurt. I have people I enjoy chatting with in threads from time to time but I wouldn't let myself become a true friend to someone here. The risk is not worth any potential reward.
It's so hard 😭 I don't want to get attached but I get attached to people so easily even after talking a bit( good talks ) . One of my many issues . In real life I have no issues with this because I can see them irl. On this site it's so hard because they could just deactivated / leave / ctb / recover and leave .

dune_dweller

dune_dweller

Puella Aeternus
Sep 6, 2024
You have it view it from the perspective of just appreciating what you have in the moment, knowing it's fleeting.

All of my positive associations with people I cared about are now gone.

But I still appreciate the fact that I got to know those people or have experiences with them.

• Love
Reactions: wondering&wandering, Lady Laudanum, Plato'sCaveDweller and 4 others
FriesLovee

FriesLovee

Aug 23, 2024
It's not a simple thing at all, it's honestly quite complex. If you enter into a friendship knowing the other persons wants (whether CTB or not) and when you have friends, you want to see them be ok, and sometimes that means them leaving this place forever. It is absolutely emotionally complicated as hell but I feel honored to have earned the trust of anyone to trust me in their final days or moments, as life has done so many of us badly. We should just try to be good to each other. My first friend here moved further into recovery and even though we don't talk like before, I hope the best for them. Your feelings are valid<3 it's ok to feel sad about it, that's not what I'm trying to say. It is human to feel sad when someone moves out of our reality, alive or not.<3
I hate these feelings I'm hopeless . Talking to people here feels so good and fulfilling and healthy . But it may not be after all . Truly don't know what to do.
You have it view it from the perspective of just appreciating what you have in the moment, knowing it's fleeting.

But I still appreciate the fact that I got to know those people or have experiences with them.
I can't do that it hurts too much . We're just different I guess and I envy u for being able to do that

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024

Def relate to this.

Reactions: FriesLovee and Plato'sCaveDweller
TenThousandTrees

TenThousandTrees

The ocean washed over your grave
Aug 25, 2024
It's not ideal but it's becoming hard for me to make connections with "normal" people now. I've enjoyed the little conversations I've had with people here so far and that's a good enough reason for me.

Reactions: FriesLovee and opheliaoveragain
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
Like dune_dweller said, you just interact with others knowing that it's temporary. Tbh, this extends to most relationships or circumstances in life. Nothing lasts forever, and anything or anyone can be taken from you at any moment. So you just enjoy the experiences you do have and when it's over, it's over. Enjoy people's company while they're here, and never expect it to last longer than it lasts.

I get that everyone is different, and many people don't form attachments that way. But at least for here on the forum, you gotta treat everyone like they'll be gone tomorrow, cause they very well might be. You can keep each other at arms length, but that doesn't mean you can't touch, if that makes any sense. It's a balancing act, I suppose. But I think viable friendships can be made here if both parties go into it recognizing and understanding the situation.

Reactions: Lady Laudanum, -Link-, FriesLovee and 2 others
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
One thing that can (somewhat) help is to look at it from the perspective that even though they're gone now, you were at least able to be their companion and support them and show them understanding and care in their final days or weeks -- something that they likely wouldn't have gotten IRL for having to hide all of this from their loved ones.

I mean, do you realize how huge that is?

Going forward, if you feel you need to better protect yourself, emotionally, then I would suggest in the early stages of connecting with another member here, you have a frank conversation with them about this. Talk to them about some of the concerns you've already told us here. If there's a connection building between you and someone else here, I think it's fair to ask them point-blank what their short-term, mid-term, and long-term intentions are with regard to CTB. You can check out their post history too.

But no matter how much risk assessment you do, if you connect with other members here on a regular basis, you're very likely going to experience another loss at some point. You've gotten a lot of good advice from people in here already with ideas about how to navigate this. While I hope you're able to protect yourself emotionally as best you can in the future, I also hope you don't isolate yourself. There has to be a balance in there somewhere, and I hope you'll be able to find it.

• Love
Reactions: FriesLovee and Plato'sCaveDweller
-nobodyknows-

-nobodyknows-

Experienced
Jun 16, 2024
I have to be very careful about connecting with people here. Even reading goodbye posts from people who I have never interacted with is incredibly difficult. Seeing people disappear who I have interacted with is even harder. I know it's the nature of this place though, so I just try to keep my walls up and not get too close because I just can't handle it. It is sad because I am an incredibly lonely person, but I do not know what else to do.

Reactions: FriesLovee
FriesLovee

FriesLovee

Aug 23, 2024
I have to be very careful about connecting with people here. Even reading goodbye posts from people who I have never interacted with is incredibly difficult. Seeing people disappear who I have interacted with is even harder. I know it's the nature of this place though, so I just try to keep my walls up and not get too close because I just can't handle it. It is sad because I am an incredibly lonely person, but I do not know what else to do.
True … 😢

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I've never made a friend here. The concept of online friends is strange to me but I am dysfunctional af.

Reactions: FriesLovee
FriesLovee

FriesLovee

Aug 23, 2024
I've never made a friend here. The concept of online friends is strange to me but I am dysfunctional af.
If u don't wanna have ur heartbroken then don't make friends but if u do wanna make friends just be yourself and try to message people after reading their post and if their post relate to you then it's a starting point for the convo 😅

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
If u don't wanna have ur heartbroken then don't make friends but if u do wanna make friends just be yourself and try to message people after reading their post and if their post relate to you then it's a starting point for the convo 😅
I don't have much of a heart anymore and I can't be myself, my identity got obliterated decades ago. Thanks for the advice though.

wondering&wandering

wondering&wandering

My precious moon! Don't go, please.
Jan 12, 2024
Hi
It's such a sad feeling and it makes everything worse . I joined this site to hopefully make friends and I did and some few really good ones at that . Unfortunately I realized quickly that I can't do anything to try to even continue these friendship , my friends will end up eventually either ctb or hopefully recover .
Hey Fries, I know what you mean. I came to this site in a duel purpose of finding people to talk to as well as motivated by my own ctb thoughts. I think it's good to understand that this site shouldn't be thought of as a place to find friends, but rather as a place to find comfort and to comfort; to understand ctb as we come to terms with our methods and ourselves; to be authentic and to validate fellow people who have been shunned; to build a community with an understanding of how close we all dance with death, whether physical or mental.
But we're here to be honest and I will be . It sucks and it's selfish for me to even think that . But f*** I hate this feeling . my friends used to play games with me and now we're adults and I feel like I'm the last one remaining . Everytime I play it reminds me of them and no game is enjoyable without them . Same will go for this site . My goal was to make long term friends here because u can actually talk about Anything Here without being judged .
I hate to see an amazing person ctb , and for my friends that will hopefully recover I will be so sad that we won't talk as much . Makes me really miss them even if I know them for a week . I don't think it matters how long u know someone , I can meet someone for a week and feel like they've been a better friend than anyone else I've had .
I mostly get what you mean (never grew up playing games with friends), but that feeling of being able to talk about anything here and to make friends in the face of our potential deaths is an ironic high and low bundled together. It definitely sucks. But one can learn to appreciate it before one's own time is up.
Anyways I'm just rambling about nothing , it's just gonna suck when people move on from you whether they recover or ctb 😞
You're not rambling. You're doing exactly what you should: being honest with yourself with others. That's not easy. Your feelings are totally valid. I hope those sad feelings don't turn you bitter. Bitterness is hard to eliminate once it eats you up.

Feel free to PM if you'd like. I wish you peace regardless.
Totally agree. This is a good answer.

You're very strong and mature to have this level of appreciation. I wish you the best!