permanently tired

permanently tired

Rather die than let you see me break
Nov 8, 2023
I'm currently in China atm bc my mother wants me to see a doctor here or some shit idgaf. Hate her. Since the internet here bans everything, I'm using my data and ofc it's slow so I have a lot of time to think. I don't think I can ever fully recover, but it would also be easier for me to ctb at a later stage in life (financial independence). I dropped out of college a few months ago (I applied as biomedical engineering) and need some suggestions on what job/field to strive for. I have thought about trade school perhaps, but not sure what to specialize in. Medicine/mathematics is probably too difficult for me. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: author, Pinkliquid12 and lkjhgfdsa1
HighFlight

HighFlight

Just old and alone
Jun 28, 2023
Is there something you enjoy doing? What are you good at? Do the two lists intersect? These are the first things I'd look at.

Reactions: author, Linda and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Not much to add what @HighFlight already asked. I don't understand what a doc in china could fix here. You should do what you are most interested in not what you are forced to do bc that doesn't lead to success in most cases.

• Hugs
Reactions: HighFlight
permanently tired

permanently tired

Nov 8, 2023
Not much to add what @HighFlight already asked. I don't understand what a doc in china could fix here. You should do what you are most interested in not what you are forced to do bc that doesn't lead to success in most cases.
I didn't rlly have a choice in the matter, I would've preferred to stay in america. Ofc no one cares abt my opinion tho 🤷‍♀️. I just don't know what direction to go in so I'm asking here. Honestly, idk what my interests are if I have any. I wish I knew

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
H

Hvergelmir

May 5, 2024
I just don't know what direction to go in so I'm asking here. Honestly, idk what my interests are if I have any. I wish I knew
You've already ruled out extremely theoretical and math heavy fields.
Here are a bunch of questions to attempt to narrow it down further.

Do you prefer to work remotely, on site, or travelling?
Do you prefer high stress or boredom?
Do you prefer physical or mental work?
Are you willing to pursue higher education, or do you want to start working as soon as possible?
What do you find important in life? (People, animals, money, adventure, truth, justice, sports, arts, competition???)

Personally I'd go for becoming a helicopter pilot or possibly drone operator. That might not align with your interests or ambitions, though.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
permanently tired

permanently tired

Nov 8, 2023
You've already ruled out extremely theoretical and math heavy fields.
Here are a bunch of questions to attempt to narrow it down further.

Do you prefer to work remotely, on site, or travelling?
Do you prefer high stress or boredom?
Do you prefer physical or mental work?
Are you willing to pursue higher education, or do you want to start working as soon as possible?
What do you find important in life? (People, animals, money, adventure, truth, justice, sports, arts, competition???)

Personally I'd go for becoming a helicopter pilot or possibly drone operator. That might not align with your interests or ambitions, though.
I would say on site bc I like a structured environment, but traveling is fine too.
A middle ground would be nice, but I'll probably stick to boredom.
Physical, I don't want to think anymore.
Asap, so I can leave earlier.
People, arts, and money.

I've never heard of someone wanting to be a helicopter pilot. What gave you the idea?

H

Hvergelmir

May 5, 2024
I've never heard of someone wanting to be a helicopter pilot. What gave you the idea?
I guess it might stem from an early interest in fighter jets. Rotorcrafts are more flexible and technical, less physically demanding, and available to civilians.
I've also always admired technical skill, from skate boarding to martial arts and stunt driving. I guess helicopter flight is a more mature, productive extension of that.

Back to occupations which might fit you...
Vehicle operator (lifts, excavators, dumpers, cranes, etc), machine operator (industry/cnc), mechanic, smith, welder, security guard, builder.
I think those are fairly accessible and pay decently.

Bartender, telephone support, store clerk, and public transport or taxi driver.
Those are the more social/mental.

Scene builder (concerts, etc.) and mover, are more physical occupations not requiring education or much thought.
Warehouse, janitor and cleaner work is very common and accessible.

Hopefully something sound inspiring. I would only pursue longer studies if and when I had found a genuine interest. On the other hand, if you're willing to dedicate your life to something truly inspiring, don't let competition or other people discourage you from pursuing it.

HighFlight

HighFlight

Just old and alone
Jun 28, 2023
I always enjoyed flying and could have made a career out of flying fighter jets, if only I could pass the eye exam. Oh well, a little late for me.

Have you looked at sites like this one:

There are quite a few sites to help people identify careers they might be interested in.

Reactions: author, Pinkliquid12, Hvergelmir and 2 others
Pinkliquid12

Pinkliquid12

Sep 10, 2022
Everyone says to go into trades, and that is indeed the fastest way you can get a decent paying job and live independently (depending on the city), but it does require a certain type of person. It usually requires people skills, it can be physically demanding and mind numbing, and you have to take into account the workplace environment and employer. There are plenty of depressed tradespeople out there, just like any other career. I'd recommend talking with someone who's done it for 30+. They all have their pros and cons so it really comes down to what you like. No harm in trying something out. One thing I won't recommend is truck driving.
There are other jobs that don't require as much education. You could try for a business/office administration diploma, bookkeeping, etc. I personally am doing a Library Technician diploma, because I think working in a library is cool and I like helping people, and it only takes 2 years anyways so even if I end up hating it or I can't find a job with it I won't feel like I've wasted too much of my time.
In the meantime, you can see about volunteering to get out of the house and get some experience (if you're unable to find a job). If getting out is too difficult, or you can't drive, or there's not many suitable volunteer opportunities in your area, you can try remote volunteering. Here's a helpful page I found.
When it comes to career advice, people always ask "Well, what interests you?" but if you're a husk of a person then you probably don't have any passions or interests and just want something viable and not too mentally demanding. On the other hand, pursuing a career just because it pays well can also be really taxing on your mental health (obviously). I think something like a trade is a good compromise.
I hope you can leave China soon 🙏

Reactions: divinemistress36, permanently tired and author