Geturdone

Geturdone

Getting old ain't for sissies
Dec 9, 2021
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate this event. Personally, I spent part of this chilly Texas morning outside listening to the birds, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes I always lie to my doctors about and reading.

The last article read, which prompted this post, was about notable people who died this year. Some famous and some infamous. It reminded me, while I've essentially planned the details of how I want to die, I've given little thought to how I want to be remembered. I've made assumptions, especially with regard to my daughters, that may be wrong.

I've had the chance to witness a lot of history in my life, things the youngest of you may have never heard of, much less experienced. But, you are all lucky enough to have your own history to memorialize.

I can recall, after buying my first car, I purchased gasoline at the outrageous price of 17 cents per gallon. I remember there were two high schools where I lived. One for whites and one for blacks. I can still remember the school assembly called to announce our school would soon be getting a black student who had the tremendous courage to take a bus across town to attend a school with students very much unlike himself.

I remember enlisting in the military as a means of attending college thru the GI Bill, ultimately being sent to a search and rescue unit in Monterey, California. I remember seeing Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix and many others at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. I remember the love of that summer, in San Francisco that same year. I remember reading about the violence that took place in Chicago the next year during the Republican National Convention and how the "establishment" turned against the youth who lead this country today. All while experiencing another type of violence from my tour of duty in Vietnam and upon coming home, not to parades, waving flags or greetings from grateful crowds but a deserted airport, at midnight, simply to avoid protesters to the war that was so very, very unpopular.

I could go on and on and on about the events that shaped my life but can't we all. Today, I'm pondering the fact this is my last Christmas. I care not about Christmas necessarily, but I'm somewhat sad when I consider it's my LAST. Last New Years as well as many other things that have become last.

Here's where I'm going even if it's taking me a while to get there; what makes for a a great obituary? During the course of writing this post I've thought about things that I'd include in mine. Several things not included here even. Some of you may care less about an obituary, but for those of you who do what would you want it to say about YOU?

Peace be with you all.

• Love
Reactions: MolinaKeyLime, Made4TV, little helpers and 2 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Being dead.

Sorry it's just my humor defense mechanism. Don't mean to derail. What an interesting post, life and life-view! Merry Christmas! Hmm, holidays can be hard for everyone, but I'm definitely considering wishing it. I already wished Merry Christmas to a bunch of kids / grown-up kids since yesterday. Just in case something changed in the last decade since we interacted and they need help now. I used to create online content, and new people still watch my old stuff even if I stopped doing that.

Sorry to hear about Vietnam, on an individual basis.

I suppose mine if I really wanted to be positive and make it about myself it would be something like "misunderstood" which is very unlikely to go in one, and which is just a symptom really. I don't really want an obituary at all, and especially not about me, which is what they are. "Be excellent to each other." is my general sentiment, which could serve as my epitaph but I don't care for one either.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Geturdone
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
As l will receive a paupers funeral, a cardboard coffin, a hot oven and a number on a small wooden cross, because I don't have anyone willing to take responsibility for my ashes and the 2 urns with my dogs ashes in and scatter them/me in a Dog Park! A simple Act of Compassion that would cost Someone nothing but some of their time, I very much doubt that l'll get a obituary!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: little helpers
Geturdone

Geturdone

Dec 9, 2021
As l will receive a paupers funeral, a cardboard coffin, a hot oven and a number on a small wooden cross, because I don't have anyone willing to take responsibility for my ashes and the 2 urns with my dogs ashes in and scatter them/me in a Dog Park! I very much doubt that l'll get a obituary!!!
The reality of death is that we all die alone ... regardless of friends or family. Yet, your response touched me in a way that left me feeling sad. I almost wish I had a good dog to accompany me. Best wishes.

• Hugs
Reactions: Made4TV and little helpers
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
The reality of death is that we all die alone ... regardless of friends or family. Yet, your response touched me in a way that left me feeling sad. I almost wish I had a good dog to accompany me. Best wishes.
Thank You

little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate this event. Personally, I spent part of this chilly Texas morning outside listening to the birds, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes I always lie to my doctors about and reading.

The last article read, which prompted this post, was about notable people who died this year. Some famous and some infamous. It reminded me, while I've essentially planned the details of how I want to die, I've given little thought to how I want to be remembered. I've made assumptions, especially with regard to my daughters, that may be wrong.

I've had the chance to witness a lot of history in my life, things the youngest of you may have never heard of, much less experienced. But, you are all lucky enough to have your own history to memorialize.

I can recall, after buying my first car, I purchased gasoline at the outrageous price of 17 cents per gallon. I remember there were two high schools where I lived. One for whites and one for blacks. I can still remember the school assembly called to announce our school would soon be getting a black student who had the tremendous courage to take a bus across town to attend a school with students very much unlike himself.

I remember enlisting in the military as a means of attending college thru the GI Bill, ultimately being sent to a search and rescue unit in Monterey, California. I remember seeing Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix and many others at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. I remember the love of that summer, in San Francisco that same year. I remember reading about the violence that took place in Chicago the next year during the Republican National Convention and how the "establishment" turned against the youth who lead this country today. All while experiencing another type of violence from my tour of duty in Vietnam and upon coming home, not to parades, waving flags or greetings from grateful crowds but a deserted airport, at midnight, simply to avoid protesters to the war that was so very, very unpopular.

I could go on and on and on about the events that shaped my life but can't we all. Today, I'm pondering the fact this is my last Christmas. I care not about Christmas necessarily, but I'm somewhat sad when I consider it's my LAST. Last New Years as well as many other things that have become last.

Here's where I'm going even if it's taking me a while to get there; what makes for a a great obituary? During the course of writing this post I've thought about things that I'd include in mine. Several things not included here even. Some of you may care less about an obituary, but for those of you who do what would you want it to say about YOU?

Peace be with you all.

really nice to have met a veteran here. hi! kinda wonder if VA circulates any obituaries within itself so like those who been in the same division/ brigade/ regiment or whatever will know?

I honestly don't care about obituaries. it's not gonna make people know me, if not hate me. lol. piling identity labels and badly summarized events says nothing 'bout the person that we are. I prefer narratives. but that's something only you can write yourself. if people ever bothered to read them.

in my case they won't. so. can't really care.

but I been thinking how anything I've posted on SS makes a better obituary than those others can write. so in a way, y'all have already bothered, to care.

maybe if I'll have/ have to have an obituary, I'd make it an artwork. music or visual arts or a choreography they can all dance to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geturdone
Geturdone

Geturdone

Dec 9, 2021
really nice to have met a veteran here. hi! kinda wonder if VA circulates any obituaries within itself so like those who been in the same division/ brigade/ regiment or whatever will know?

I honestly don't care about obituaries. it's not gonna make people know me, if not hate me. lol. piling identity labels and badly summarized events says nothing 'bout the person that we are. I prefer narratives. but that's something only you can write yourself. if people ever bothered to read them.

but I been thinking how anything I've posted on SS makes a better obituary than those others can write. so in a way, y'all have already bothered, to care.

maybe if I'll have/ have to have an obituary, I'd make it an artwork. music or visual arts or a choreography they can all dance to.
The po!icy of the local paper where I live will print a small basic obituary free of charge. The paper will also print ANYTHING at a flat rate per cubic inch. Mercenary in my view. I vacillate between a traditional obit and a kiss my ass adios motherfucker obit. Decisions, decisions. Your profile is blocked so send me a PM if inclined. Best wishes to you.

Dance, dance, dance. I'm truly of the opinion death should be celebrated as a transition ... to where is best left up to what YOU believe. That's one reason I love Made4TVs avatar. Wish I could hijack it but won't.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Made4TV and little helpers
little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
The po!icy of the local paper where I live will print a small basic obituary free of charge. The paper will also print ANYTHING at a flat rate per cubic inch. Mercenary in my view. I vacillate between a traditional obit and a kiss my ass adios motherfucker obit. Decisions, decisions. Your profile is blocked so send me a PM if inclined. Best wishes to you.

"a kiss my ass adios motherfucker obit". oh boy I love this. I wanna steal your idea at a flat rate per joles brain power. think that doesn't require any more energy than running an oven for an hour. so I can still afford it. /s

just kidding. yeah I have to say that paper thing is fucked-up. but maybe that also means we can radicalize it towards a better side of things? I don't know. just hijack it. or post a thousand copies of the same orbituray on one newspaper. lol.

yeah sure. gotta send you a PM real quick. and I sorta wanna know how to fix the profile thing, if you know how to.

Geturdone

Geturdone

Dec 9, 2021
Sorry, got a bit off track from the original question. What do YOU think makes a great obit and what do you want people to remember about YOU. Full disclosure, I could possibly take from your ideas to include in my own obituary. Thank you in advance.

Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
Steal my avatar!

Insomniac

Insomniac

š¯”„ š¯”² š¯”± š¯”¦ š¯”° š¯”Ŗ
May 21, 2021
flowers.