• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

O

Oyashiro-sama

Student
Aug 16, 2018
What languages do you speak?

I speak:

• Spanish (native)
  • English (My level is quite low)

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox and 3 others
P

Phro

Student
Sep 1, 2018
English and a -little- Spanish

Reactions: Lennox, Tiburcio and Oyashiro-sama
NOISYMIND

NOISYMIND

Everyday I wake up I wanna die again.
Sep 11, 2018
My mother tongue is Mandarin. I speak Japanese fluently and intermediate(maybe) level of English as well.

Reactions: Saga, azucaramargo, GreyMagic and 9 others
Neon

Neon

May 20, 2018
Just English, nothing special.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusuk63, Lennox, Nofaith and 3 others
jaemus12

jaemus12

Earth’s Parasite
May 11, 2018
I speak Cantonese and English.

I can speak basic Mandarin and Korean that I learned from watching their tv shows lol.

Reactions: GreyMagic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox and 1 other person
Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018
Dutch (native)
French (so-so)
English (good)
Romanian (literally a few words .. but i'd like to learn more)

Reactions: GreyMagic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox and 3 others
T

Tiburcio

Spanish

Shitty english level

I suck at languages

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox, lv-gras and 2 others
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
So here's the languages I know properly:
  1. English
  2. Hindi
  3. Bengali (can't write)
I want to pick up Japanese and French, but that would require me expending energy, which I do not have.

EDIT: I thought of a better joke - I want to pick up Japanese and French, but I would have to pick myself out of the hole I'm in first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox, Smilla and Tiburcio
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
English and Tagalog. I'm in love with language and envy polyglots. Thought about enrolling in Instituto Cervantes to learn Spanish. It used to be part of the school curriculum here during my father's time. I've kept his Spanish books. Anybody seen 'Arrival' and what are your thoughts on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis?

Reactions: Lennox, 406blue and RM5998
Soon4me

Soon4me

Enlightened
Jun 15, 2018
Klingon

Reactions: Lennox, 406blue, Nofaith and 3 others
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Anybody seen 'Arrival' and what are your thoughts on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis?

Love the movie. Denis, Adams and Renner did some of the best work of their careers there.

As to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, I'd say that the effect is kinda difficult to gauge when you learn about it without learning new languages in its context. However, I might venture to say that from the little Japanese I've picked up from watching anime, I've become slightly better at perceiving tone in conversations as well as the choice of words.

However, if you take programming languages into account, I'd say that I've become better at spotting logical and syntactical errors in sentences. I guess that I've probably become better at formulating algorithmic ideas, and breaking down problems into parts (whether that's because of learning CS or the language is anyone's guess, but I'm somewhat certain that the language plays a part since I do think of solutions in those terms).

Reactions: akosineenee
skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
Spanish (native)
English

Reactions: Lennox
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Spanish (native)
English
I remember you from reddit. I never said anything to you because I assumed you speak english. Nice to know :smiling:.

I speak: Spanish (native), English (I barely use it to write, it's for Internet content), and some japanese (I understand basic stuff).

Reactions: Lennox and skitliv
akosineenee

akosineenee

Invisible idiot
Aug 22, 2018
Love the movie. Denis, Adams and Renner did some of the best work of their careers there.
Definitely on my top ten favorite movies of all time.
As to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, I'd say that the effect is kinda difficult to gauge when you learn about it without learning new languages in its context. However, I might venture to say that from the little Japanese I've picked up from watching anime, I've become slightly better at perceiving tone in conversations as well as the choice of words.

However, if you take programming languages into account, I'd say that I've become better at spotting logical and syntactical errors in sentences. I guess that I've probably become better at formulating algorithmic ideas, and breaking down problems into parts (whether that's because of learning CS or the language is anyone's guess, but I'm somewhat certain that the language plays a part since I do think of solutions in those terms).
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the theory to be honest. Many questions its merits including Noam Chomsky. I do agree with you about the necessity of real-time analysis when attempting to gauge its effect. A person learning a new language would be an ideal candidate.

I think culture/environment does shape language and vice versa. They're interlinked. Take the Eskimo snow which the entire theory stands on; we have the same concept when it comes to rice where I live. In the English speaking world you only have one word for rice. In most Asian countries our vocabulary for it is, let's say, lengthy. Because in our culture it's a staple food. I read somewhere of an actress, who's native language isn't English; said that her physical movement/expressions are different when she's acting in a different language. The language you use influences your perception of the world and how you think/operate.

I'm dumb in terms of programming languages. But if it's how you communicate (?) then it's bound to affect you in many ways.

Apologies to OP if we went off tangent. That's on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox, 406blue and RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I'm dumb in terms of programming languages. But if it's how you communicate (?) then it's bound to affect you in many ways.

Think of trying to communicate ideas about a logical system of some sort, or on the methodology of solving a problem. Most people who work on computer software programming would approach problem solving in a very systematic way, but will at the same time be open to case-based ad-hoc solutions (yeah, coding is weird). Also, the dilemma of choosing between ease of maintenance, ease of use and ease of building comes up a lot.

Reactions: akosineenee
Duqu

Duqu

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Aug 27, 2018
English and halfway decent written spanish, good at reading comprehension too. My listening and speaking skills aren't so hot though. I'm learning Swedish on Duolingo for the hell of it too.

Regisphilbin_savant

Regisphilbin_savant

Student
Sep 12, 2018
French Spanish Russian english

couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
Just English, nothing special.

you should learn a language

everyone should speak at least 2 languages at a basic lvl

Reactions: Lennox, lv-gras and Neon
Gengogakusha

Gengogakusha

Crazy Cat Lady
Sep 5, 2018
Languages were my passion before I became an empty void. My username means 'linguist' in Japanese in fact.

• English (native)
  • Japanese (fluent - have worked as an interpreter)
  • Mongolian (fluent - my subject at university)
  • Turkish (conversational)
  • Mandarin (conversational - my reading and writing far exceeds my speaking and listening comprehension)
  • Norwegian (beginner - started just a couple of months ago)
I would love to speak Polish and Punjabi but I don't have the motivation that I used to. Just another thing on the long list of things my mental illness has taken from me.

Reactions: Desi, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox and 3 others
T

TooLate2582

Experienced
May 6, 2018
English, Spanish, some German.

setianism

setianism

Sep 15, 2018
Romanian (native)
English (fluent)
German (I'm alright at it but I can't hold a conversation)

and tried to learn Russian for a few months but I gave up

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox, lv-gras and 1 other person
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
murican

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lennox and lv-gras