• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️
Jul 1, 2020
what makes self destruction, self destruction? (preferably philosophical thoughts, i could read the dictionary if i wanted a definition but the accuracy of the definition is what im questioning.)

on the one hand an argument , might look like "hard drugs arent good for you", but if you go into a hospital (depending on the reason) theyll give you morphine well aware of how addictive and life destroying it can be.

then you have "cannamoms" that swear up and fucking down that its "good for them". as someone that was raised by someone walking out the door to get high and now has an addiction herself, kids should be removed from these houses, it might be good for you, but you cant fucking ask your baby how getting ditched for drugs makes them feel (different from just chilling for the weekend, kids are at grandparents, ect). my mother going out to get high forced me to raise my new born brother at the age of preteen to early teens, but its "good for you" fucking bullshit it is

ive had this question on my mind for a couple weeks. what makes it good or bad. is there one? maybe a definition doesnt actually exist. someone from the outside might look "omg youre destroying your life" but the person on the inside "nope, i want you to go away. this is what i want" youre not destroying yourself if youre doing whats right for you?

I thought about posting it today because im so over my life right now. its an "off day" to drink because i have work tonight but fuck it. of course i very very rarely get hangovers or problems. my bigger problem would be im hungry and this isnt whats best for me 🤷‍♀️ FML

Self destruction by I Prevail

Last edited:
Jiyuurakka

Jiyuurakka

Discontinued Existence
Mar 22, 2024
That's a good question, I think it has to do a lot with the usage and limits of language and an individual's perception of reality. For example, there are a lot of people who willingly smoke multiple packs of cigarettes a day, regardless of the health warning on the pack itself. I'm quite sure those health warnings are also one of the key reasons why people are driven to consume them. Chances are, if you go upto them and strike a conversation, and make them eventually open up about it, they would say something like, "Smoking does good for a soul that's no good in the first place." or something along those lines. They smoke precisely because they know the risks it carries, their meaning of self-destruction changes to our perception of what recovery means. To them, to die is to live.

When a person engages in what we refer to as "self-destruction", most times they are perfectly aware that they are destroying themselves. From their perspective, self-destruction is the direct opposite of what we percieve as self-destruction because they're usually in a state of being where they're unable to entertain any other perspective other than theirs. This is true if they're incapacitated by drugs perhaps.

People who point out the contradiction when others willingly engage in self-destructive behaviour do so because they assume the position of the person they're accusing, they're perfectly able to entertain a perspective that is otherwise, a state of being that does not make sense to them. In effect, when people criticise the behaviour of others, they are acting as if the person they are accusing is dead. They are telling them not to be. The accuser is also taking the position of being death itself because whenever they criticise, they want people to act otherwise (their perception of what is good living), which to the accused, is acting contradictory to what their self dictates, an anti-self which is just a dead corpse. Life and death becomes death and life, to live you must first die and death precedes life.

To answer your question, "What is self-destruction?", self-destruction = self-repair, there is no difference.

I'm also writing this when I'm supposed to be sleeping, but my definition of sleeping carries the act of replying to your post. I am in a state of maximal sleep, which is to be awake. I am both asleep and awake at the same time😂

Last edited:
Cherry Crumpet

Cherry Crumpet

Hiraeth
May 7, 2018
For me, it feels like rage and anger, but turned inwards instead of outwards. I mentally abuse t/f out of myself. I won't say the phrases b/c I don't want to trigger anyone in the recovery section). I feel I don't deserve to be happy. I don't deserve what other people have (partner that loves them, etc). It's constantly telling yourself you're a worthless piece of shit that's not worthy of anything.

Sorry if this didn't really answer the question.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Ash

Ash

Warlock
Oct 4, 2021
For me, it's when I do stuff that I know will hurt in the long term without really helping in the short term e.g. self harm, binge eating, drinking alcohol etc. It's also when I isolate myself from friends and family, allow myself to catastrophise instead of first attempting to be rational and so on.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death