• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

RollingKinematics

RollingKinematics

Howdy! How ya' doin'?
Jul 11, 2023
I just wanna know,
what is a good person according to y'all?
And how could I become said person?

SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
Interesting question, maybe the most interesting of all! Since you have no posting history, I'd have to make the most general possible answer... would take me a while. Please feel free to leave any details about your situation

But very briefly, there's two components: knowing what's good, and effective action to achieve the good. Two separate mental frameworks

Each group-mind may have a mythology/propaganda of what's "good" — but humans have an inner moral sense & rationality that serves as a compass, that helps you see through many illusions

It's not enough to know what's good. Many moral philosophers are nevertheless depraved cowards. Effective action is necessary. Not just action, but effective action — because ineffective action may cause the opposite of good

I suspect that a framework of effective action is more complex (or counter-intuitive?) than a framework of what's good. Because:
  • good: is mainly a concept on the social level, and any levels above (such as psychological & spiritual levels)
  • effective action: can take place an all levels — including on material levels. (Which are below the social level. Like physics, chemistry & biology. Where entities generally lack consciousness & intention)
(Here's videos explaining more about these levels of reality, and a book)

Last edited:
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think the best people I've known have been kind and generous to others. Not just in terms of money- they genuinely cared about other people and gave them their time and attention. I suppose it's not an entirely selfless act- they likely felt good about being like that and being perceived as a kind person. Still- it's those sorts of people that you feel made the world a better place for the time they were here.

nier

nier

Aug 12, 2023
What makes someone a good person is someone who not just lives for them selves but understands others and makes efforts to better the lives of those around them. And honestly someone is bad if they do the opposite. Only focus on themselves (in a unhealthy way) and contribute to the downfall of others

O

obligatoryshackles

I don't want to get used to it.
Aug 11, 2023
I don't think anyone can truly be a good person, or for that matter a bad person.

Instead I want to always strive to become a better person each day.

I want to understand what people feel.

I want to listen to what people say.

Even if I have very little power in the world, I never want to pass up an opportunity to be kind.

I want to learn each time I miss the chance to be kind and grow stronger each time I don't have the strength to be kind.

I want to feel gratitude for every kindness shown to me no matter how small.

I'm still far from that ideal.

...And that's ok.

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
What makes someone a good person is someone who not just lives for them selves but understands others and makes efforts to better the lives of those around them. And honestly someone is bad if they do the opposite. Only focus on themselves (in a unhealthy way) and contribute to the downfall of others
You hit the nail right on the head in my opinion. My dad is the best definition of a good person I can imagine. He does exactly that, puts everyone in his life ahead of himself. Even if it means that he doesn't have enough money to buy food for a week. Even if he has to give up the only shirt he has left off his back. He is always thinking about how he can make someones else's life better, whether it's a complete stranger or his best friend. It's honestly such a beautiful and unique thing to be able to witness. And he is also the happiest person I have ever met. I wish there were more people like him, I try my best to follow in his trail but it's not always as easy as It seems.

• Love
Reactions: RollingKinematics
O

obligatoryshackles

I don't want to get used to it.
Aug 11, 2023
I really want to agree but a part of me calls out that this is too simplistic for a philosophical discussion (though it's perfectly good for an image of the ideal to strive for).

What if bettering the lives of those around oneself comes at a cost to other unrelated parties? Are there not many examples of people doing horrible things solely for the sake of bettering the lives of loved ones and not out of selfish desires? Would that still be considered good? I think most people would say no.

What if this person is entirely unaware of any harm they are causing? Does ignorance or lack of intentionality excuse it and allow them to be considered good?

I think if there really was such a thing as "good", it would necessarily have to include seeking to become "better" and could not be as simple as a static statement of material unselfishness.

• Love
tunnelV

tunnelV

Misanthrope is my religion
Oct 19, 2023
According to the average person. Anyone with money, anyone with a degree that has bragging rights( for example a doctor) which is funny because the 3rd leading cause of death are medical mistakes. People who have 2 parents that are still married. These are the positive stereotypes handed out to people regardless if they're good or not.

I personally think a good person is real and honest. Honest even when it's not "nice" it's one thing I find truly a waste of time when talking to people. Most are dishonest, most are fake due to their own insecurities and need to be liked. I can tell and I'd never get close nor trust someone who's like that. You mine as well be speaking to some type of empty meat sack.

Rouge4000

Rouge4000

Alone
Sep 27, 2023
This is how I see it. Everyone has the potential to be a piece of shit to do the wrong thing. However what makes a good person is someone who it genuinely trying to change be good and do good by others. Anything that would classify you as an asshole piece of shit a bitch etc don't apply or more importantly no longer apply to the person trying to be better aka a good person. Someone who is selfless but understands when to be selfish one who helps others on a whim rather then for a reward or for something else.