N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Just imagine one day someone could prove God existed. I am not sure how exactly. Maybe he would communicate with all people at the same time inside their mind. Or some crazy ass scientists develop a machine so that we can communicate with him.

I am atheist or agnostic. I think these two scenarios are absurdly unlikely and probably won't happen. I am not sure whether I should be agnostic or not. Maybe I should be careful with statements that claim to be the absolute truth. Maybe it is in general better for a person to remain a little bit of uncertainty. We cannot predict the future and we can be wrong with our statements. Ironically some atheists remind me of the papal infallibility when they want to prove that there was no God. Maybe this is a hot take. I am not fully sure whether this statement really contains truth. It was just a thought that I had.

I would probably be mad about this God. There are daily so many heinous crimes, wars and human right violations. If God exists why has he started something like that? This question evokes another question. Is God allmighty?I think the whole theodicy (question) is dedicated for that. For example: How could God let the holocaust happening? Why didn't he stop the Nazis?

Maybe there is a God but he isn't allmighty? Maybe he will punish these murderers in an afterlife? There are also way more explanations. I don't really believe them but I cannot falsify them. Maybe it also depends how we define God. Possibly he just have created the universe but he does not interact with it anymore.

Once I listened to a theologian who wanted to persuade people to believe in God. He said you can imagine the belief God as placebo. If you believe in him you will have benefits from that. People can find strength in their religion and overcome obstacles. I think this argument is only partly true. It claims there were only advantages you get when you believe in God. I have a lot of doubts about that. Though I acknowledge that faith can give people a lot of strength to overcome crises and can possibly contribute to a better society. In my country there are a lot of religious voluntary worker who help poor people for example.
However for me this is not really true. When I was influenced by my former religious faith I felt extremely scared about hell. I think my future suicide is pretty likely and I always was very scared about hell. It was a relief for me to lose my faith. It really helped to cope. No more nightmares about hell.

Nevertheless this topic is highly individual. I don't doubt that the faith in God can help a person. Not just me. Moreover I think religions always divided people. There were so many unncessary wars because of it. Though I am not sure whether atheists are more peacefully. People will always find a reason for war.

What do you think about this scenario? Which questions would you like to ask God?

Last edited:
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Opening a ye olde can of worms on SS, I love it.

I think if we are talking about a God in that sense, speaking with it might send me off the deep end. And if it could make itself so small and simple that I was able to ask it feeble human questions, it would no longer be the whole God.

If I could, I would probably be constantly asking it a million different questions like a kid.

Al_stargate

Al_stargate

I was once a pretty angel
Mar 4, 2022
There have been many sages, jogis, prophets who claimed they have reached oneness with God, a state where their soul merged with God and themselves ceased to exist and only God worked through them. Some have even written books. Adi Granth is such an example, holy book of Sikh religion. I believe Jesus was one such character who reached perfection but he of course didn't write the Bible. I have studied religions and spirituality for a good while and have made good map or opinion how things are, and how this world works. But that didn't save me from my unfortune. Basically karma and reincarnation are two ways how life happens.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I'd recommend checking out Gnosticism. It's a very interesting take on God.

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
There are daily so many heinous crimes, wars and human right violations. If God exists why has he started something like that? This question evokes another question. Is God allmighty?I think the whole theodicy (question) is dedicated for that. For example: How could God let the holocaust happening? Why didn't he stop the Nazis?
The problem of evil is really difficult to deal with.

I think the common response is that people have free will. People choose to do evil things to others. So why blame God for what other people do?

It's interesting that when people ask why God doesn't get rid of evil people, they exclude themselves from the group. The problem is that everyone falls short of God's standard, and everyone does evil to a degree, so if God were to wipe out all serial killers, for example, he'd have to wipe out everyone else who has done even a marginal evil.

There are different theories, of course. I used to be partial to the Cathars, but I can't get with the whole "Jesus was merely a spirit/guru" type shit.

Reactions: Al Cappella
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Then He's got some major explaining to do…

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and ClownMe
glad it’s night

glad it’s night

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…
Apr 19, 2021
The bible says we should ask God for forgiveness.

I think God should ask forgiveness from us.

Aren't we better than God?
We can choose to help ease people's suffering.
If a doctor helps relieve pain or cures a disease, they've done something that God couldn't or wouldn't do.

To be fair, creating a universe is probably very exhausting, so maybe God would need a few eons of nap time after.

D

DeprivedofLife666

Any other childfree people on here?
Mar 28, 2022
I'd still flip him off for giving me the worst family to have ever been born into.