O

OverIt1976

No joy, no peace. Apathy reigns supreme
Aug 8, 2024
I know this topic has been posted a gabillion times already, but I guess I'm selfish and don't want to ride coattails. I don't mean that to sound as douchey as it seems. We all have our theories and beliefs, and I don't want to detract from the OP. However, that doesn't mean I am not interested in hearing other's views.

I don't know what comes next. I've been fascinated with space and how the universe works. With that being said, I find it very plausible that we could just turn into energy and follow our own way through the cosmos. Or there is nothing and we are just an empty carcass as the Kinglons believe. I have a hard time believing that there is a magical sky daddy wagging his finger in my face telling me I'm going to hell for being gay and killing myself. If that's the god you want to worship... cool. Not my type of supreme being. Or we could be on the Hindi path of reincarnation. I hold on to some of the Hindi belief. There is a movie from Albert Brooks called Defending Your Life. This is how I view the after life. Another one I think could be plausible is What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams. Either way... I don't think that there is a damning catalyst event that forces you to live in agony for all eternity.

OR... hear me out. Or if we do commit suicide, we will simply blink back into existence at an earlier point before you do it, so that you are indeed immortal and have to live shit shitty life for some evil thing you have done in this and prior lives.

I have this one theory that you make up your own ending. Your own every after, if you so choose. This is one aspect of being raised Mormon I do like. Mormon's believe that if you are the paragon of virtue and almost saintly, you will become a god of your own universe.

But no one is 100% sure. Not even those who claimed to have come back. We don't know. There are electrical charges in your brain that can cause people to see things. I don't know. I'm science based. And I believe that what ever you choose, you will be able to release yourself from the agony of living in this world run by autocrats in a total kleptocracy.

There is nothing good in this world anymore. Look at the state we are in. People starving. In the US?!?!?! How is that possible? People being forced from their homes because they can't afford the ever increasing price of housing (which is my case). Jobs are shit. Pay is shit. Benefits are shit. The US is nothing more than a corporate sponsored relationship between the people WE elect to represent us. So, yeah, i blame Americans for not doing their part to improve their place in the world by electing honest people. But, is there really anyone that can grab a hold of some power and not be a total cunt about it? We elect those type of people. Trump was the beginning of the end for me and my faith in America. So, I would rather not live in a world with people who have that mentality. In a world that is screaming warning signs of a planetwide catastrophe because of global warming and our ignorance to not do anything about it. The human race is devolving into a bunch of buffoons and I choose not to be a part of that mélange of fucked upness.

• Hugs
Reactions: zaxxy1810, Fade2Blk0809, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
GoatHerder

GoatHerder

Student
Jul 11, 2024
I think about it all the time despite knowing there's no answer to the question.

Reactions: OverIt1976 and Praestat_Mori
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I personally only hope and wish for nothingness, I never want to suffer in this existence again. It comforts me to think of permanently losing consciousness with this cruel and torturous existence eternally forgotten about, personally I'd be relieved to cease existing as I believe death to be nothing more than an dreamless, eternal sleep.

Reactions: Fade2Blk0809 and OverIt1976
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I used to hope there was a heaven but that would possibly mean another world created by the same designer. A designer in the first place- God. And, given what I see going on in this world, I hope there isn't.

Really, I'm hoping for nothing now. I do get the whole energy idea- that it doesn't get destroyed, only transfered. But- that happens anyway. If we were left out in the wild, our energy in the form of fat, protein- meat basically would be gobbled up by other hungry animals and give them energy to survive. I see little reason why, what we think of as ourselves would live on as energy. I think what we believe to be 'us' resides and is dependent on the brain.

That all said, I'm not a total cynic. I used to have quite spiritual family members and, not everything in this world has an explanation yet. Maybe there are spiritual forces behind things, maybe not. A few of my family members have seen ghosts. Me included apparently- my Mum died when I was 3 and I apparently said I could see her once. Still, I could easily also be convinced that our brains are capable of playing tricks on us. Who knows? Guess we'll all find out one way or another soon enough, or, not soon enough for a lot of us.

What I do find rather odd is considering the billions of lives that have ended here and- we still don't have concrete proof of an afterlife. Makes me lean more towards there not being one.

Fade2Blk0809

Fade2Blk0809

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 8, 2024
I think about this too. As an agnostic leaning heavily towards atheism, I am inclined to believe that once we die and our neurons stop firing, we simply cease to exist. Like a broken down computer, we just end. That thought is comforting to me.

I am extremely skeptical of the "fire and brimstone," old man in the sky notion of a God who metes out heavenly rewards to the worthy and eternal damnation to everyone else. But of course maybe I'm wrong, and I'm destined for hell just for saying that. Who knows?? I do like the idea of our energies being released into the universe, even reincarnation I can accept as a possiblity.

What scares me - and I know this sounds silly - is the idea of becoming a ghost, forever doomed to wander around this crappy world, trapped and unable to move on. I know that's unlikely but the thought of it is terrifying and part of the reason why I haven't caught the bus already.

C

CantDoIt

Student
Jul 18, 2024
I choose to believe in what I find the most comfortable, which is reincarnation. Either that, or having the chance to redo your current life with more intuition. I know it's far fetched and "nothing" is more likely, but I need someone to hold onto. So I'm going with the type of reincarnation described in near death experiences. NDEs overwhelming support reincarnation and the reuniting with a loving, Almighty presence of a Creator (not God as we know him per de) but just as the source of all things. If its just a void, then what? It'll be the same as before we were born.

maniac116

maniac116

Aug 10, 2024
I know this topic has been posted a gabillion times already, but I guess I'm selfish and don't want to ride coattails. I don't mean that to sound as douchey as it seems. We all have our theories and beliefs, and I don't want to detract from the OP. However, that doesn't mean I am not interested in hearing other's views.

I don't know what comes next. I've been fascinated with space and how the universe works. With that being said, I find it very plausible that we could just turn into energy and follow our own way through the cosmos. Or there is nothing and we are just an empty carcass as the Kinglons believe. I have a hard time believing that there is a magical sky daddy wagging his finger in my face telling me I'm going to hell for being gay and killing myself. If that's the god you want to worship... cool. Not my type of supreme being. Or we could be on the Hindi path of reincarnation. I hold on to some of the Hindi belief. There is a movie from Albert Brooks called Defending Your Life. This is how I view the after life. Another one I think could be plausible is What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams. Either way... I don't think that there is a damning catalyst event that forces you to live in agony for all eternity.

OR... hear me out. Or if we do commit suicide, we will simply blink back into existence at an earlier point before you do it, so that you are indeed immortal and have to live shit shitty life for some evil thing you have done in this and prior lives.

I have this one theory that you make up your own ending. Your own every after, if you so choose. This is one aspect of being raised Mormon I do like. Mormon's believe that if you are the paragon of virtue and almost saintly, you will become a god of your own universe.

But no one is 100% sure. Not even those who claimed to have come back. We don't know. There are electrical charges in your brain that can cause people to see things. I don't know. I'm science based. And I believe that what ever you choose, you will be able to release yourself from the agony of living in this world run by autocrats in a total kleptocracy.

There is nothing good in this world anymore. Look at the state we are in. People starving. In the US?!?!?! How is that possible? People being forced from their homes because they can't afford the ever increasing price of housing (which is my case). Jobs are shit. Pay is shit. Benefits are shit. The US is nothing more than a corporate sponsored relationship between the people WE elect to represent us. So, yeah, i blame Americans for not doing their part to improve their place in the world by electing honest people. But, is there really anyone that can grab a hold of some power and not be a total cunt about it? We elect those type of people. Trump was the beginning of the end for me and my faith in America. So, I would rather not live in a world with people who have that mentality. In a world that is screaming warning signs of a planetwide catastrophe because of global warming and our ignorance to not do anything about it. The human race is devolving into a bunch of buffoons and I choose not to be a part of that mélange of fucked upness.
We are no longer US citizens. We are nothing more than US consumers💔

Reactions: OverIt1976