• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
They imprison you in a psych ward, when one of them asks you if you have a plan, it is code for "Want a visit to the looney bin?". Just think of it like that and always say no, unless you want to end up there for some ungodly reason. Never be explicit with these people.
Best post in the thread as this is the truth.
They are just itching to send you to a psychward and their other fun thing is anti psychotics for non schizos.

aww fgs, stop with the stupid memes, they're ridiculous! If you've got something to say, then say it, but leave those awful childish pictures out of my quotes!!!!!!!!
Why do you somehow think that psychs think bpd people are rational and stable?
They hate dealing with bpd patients as they can be such cancer to deal with and cause problems.
A lot will refuse those types of patients as it can be so hard to treat.

That depends. In my case, absolutely nothing; told my crisis manager about my plan (note that I just gave the plan details and didn't say that I was immediately planning to do it) and nothing really happened.
You can safely say you want to kill yourself but to say you have a plan and a date means you get imprisoned

Reactions: LastFlowers
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
see that seems crazy to me because isnt a crisis manager supposed to prevent the crisis escalating ?
Not directly, her job is to get me to other people that can help me. She's just part of a team that manages my case through the NHS and I am gonna see a psychiatrist through them on December 2nd.
You can safely say you want to kill yourself but to say you have a plan and a date means you get imprisoned
More specifically the date I'd say. You can get away with having plenty of dark thoughts but if they think it's gone from being a fantasy / urge to something you are actively planning to do soon then they'll say you're a danger to yourself and lock you in the degenerate box.

PNKPNDA

PNKPNDA

Mar 8, 2020
Not directly, her job is to get me to other people that can help me. She's just part of a team that manages my case through the NHS and I am gonna see a psychiatrist through them on December 2nd.

More specifically the date I'd say. You can get away with having plenty of dark thoughts but if they think it's gone from being a fantasy / urge to something you are actively planning to do soon then they'll say you're a danger to yourself and lock you in the degenerate box.
oh okay so technically they do something just not immediately
They hate dealing with bpd patients as they can be such cancer to deal with and cause problems.
A lot will refuse those types of patients as it can be so hard to treat.

not sure describing BPD patients as cancer to deal with is such a nice phrase to use

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Always give 100% - unless you’re donating blood.
Sep 10, 2020
Where did I say that psychs think people with BPD are rational and stable? You're just making it up as you go along @hoping to lose hope
Where did I say that psychs think people with BPD are rational and stable? You're just making it up as you go along @hoping to lose hope
I know everything there is to know about MY BPD, so butt out!!
not sure describing BPD patients as cancer to deal with is such a nice phrase to use

I agree, there are in fact 256 different variations of BPD, and there is also a spectrum, so no, we're not ALL difficult to treat and like cancer! @hoping to lose hope

Last edited:
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Not all are and it is just how it is for pychs they know how hard it can be.
Depends what type of bpd you have.

Did not intend to infer you did not know about your own bpd

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
Not all are and it is just how it is for pychs they know how hard it can be.
Depends what type of bpd you have.

Did not intend to infer you did not know about your own bpd

You really do think you know it all and have far too much to say for yourself on here. You need to get a new hobby!

PNKPNDA

PNKPNDA

Mar 8, 2020

I agree, there are in fact 256 different variations of BPD, and there is also a spectrum, so no, we're not ALL difficult to treat and like cancer! @hoping to lose hope

I didnt know there were that many different variations of it tbh I guess I am not that educated on it

• Hugs
Reactions: x~Sophia~x
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
I didnt know there were that many different variations of it tbh I guess I am not that educated on it

Yes because if you think about it, there are 9 traits, you only need to have 5 of the 9 traits for a diagnosis, so there are MANY variations of it, from mild to severe.

• Hugs
Reactions: PNKPNDA
PNKPNDA

PNKPNDA

Mar 8, 2020
Yes because if you think about it, there are 9 traits, you only need to have 5 of the 9 traits for a diagnosis, so there are MANY variations of it, from mild to severe.
yeah now you have put it that way it does make sense how many variations there are. I have always thought I had some form of it but never severe enough for anyone to take me seriously about it

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I guess the whole point of treatment is to help you get on with life because does anyone really ever 'recover' from mental illness? or do they just learn to live with it??

What if "mental illness" isn't the cause? I had a variety of diagnoses (ADHD, depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc.) and tried to manage them with meds and things like CBT and DBT, all of which were somewhat helpful in their own ways, but problems would eventually come back up. Turns out I wasn't "mentally ill," but had a history of unaddressed, long-term traumas that had at the time been overpowering and to which I'd tried to adapt in order to emotionally and physically survive. I had various forms of PTSD, to use another label which only covers so much. Finding and addressing the root causes via trauma-focused modalities like EMDR, Tapas Acupressure Technique, Emotional Freedom Technique, somatic interventions, etc. set me from the traumas and helped me to develop new ways of viewing, accepting, and managing difficulties without being overwhelmed by them if they aren't truly overwhelming, and to minimize their impacts if they are, and know that, if I can get free of such situations, I have the capacity to heal and experience resilience. I can even experience a measure of resilience asni experience them, which sets me up for a better recovery if they do end. Therapists who used trauma-informed frameworks and weren't stuck in the frameworks of psychiatric labels, patient-blaming, and the purely cognitive had lasting positive impacts for me. They supported me in healing and experiencing personal responsibility and capability, not in staying stuck and managing the impacts as if they were insurmountable. Unlike with true medicine, one cannot test for the vast majority of mental illnesses, and most practitioners don't send people for the brain scans that actually can diagnose things like schizophrenia, PTSD and sociopathy. Instead, they go by lists of criteria that overlap among diagnoses and try to prove the diagnosis by responses to medications, which do not cure such conditions and can lose efficacy over time. In fact, pharmaceuticals often drive psychiatry rather than being tools of psychiatry. So when a medicine stops helping, then one hopes for a more accurate diagnosis to be discovered, or to get rediagnosed, when meanwhile, the root cause of depression or mood swings may be because someone was abused or mindfucked or neglected throughout their developmental years, and that can be compounded by genetics, because one's ancestors experienced trauma, which can affect DNA, so if someone's family history is abuse through countless generations, there are long-reaching impacts as to how one experiences and manages trauma, which at some point nearly everyone will run into. Some people can be utterly changed by going through a trauma such as war, and for some people, childhood is physical or psychological war. The resulting depression isn't from an inherent "chemical imbalance" but from having been helpless and unprotected. I think the label of mental illness is a big ol' mindfuck and a red herring, and looks at someone as if they are somehow faulty, rather than looking for how such conditions arose and how to effectively address them and, if not totally free someone from the effects, to seriously mitigate them, and there are non-medicinal modalities that do this when a practitioner is willing to work in those frameworks and not the "mental illness" or extremely limited "cognitive" framework.

That's my soapbox. It comes from experience and study, and I humbly acknowledge it is incomplete and not universally applicable. My point is to caution against falling into the traps of theoretical frameworks and trusting people in positions of authority just because they have certain levels of knowledge and experience. Humans are wired to trust in and capitulate to authority and hierarchy, and such things do not always operate to serve our best interests. If interested, see the Milgram experiment and Robert Cialdini's writing on influence and persuasion for more information, I would never want someone to take my word for something just because I sound intelligent or emotionally convincing.

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
yeah now you have put it that way it does make sense how many variations there are. I have always thought I had some form of it but never severe enough for anyone to take me seriously about it

Well you're one of the lucky ones. Don't bother asking for an assessment for a BPD diagnosis, as it's the most stigmatised disorder, and you're basically treat like sh*t by mh professionals and hospital staff. It's horrendous.

• Hugs
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Whilst what Fragile said is true in that there are many variations I was refering to the quiet and explosive type.
Explosive is not nice at all to be around when their bpd expresses itself.
Most bpd will outwardly express their emotions whilst quiet types just hurt themselves instead of others directly.

You really do think you know it all
I do not think I know it all I am very familiar with mental health topics though.

PNKPNDA

PNKPNDA

Mar 8, 2020
Well you're one of the lucky ones. Don't bother asking for an assessment for a BPD diagnosis, as it's the most stigmatised disorder, and you're basically treat like sh*t by mh professionals and hospital staff. It's horrendous.

nah luck has nothing to do with it I am not professional or anything so cannot say whether my thoughts are true or what not but yes I have heard how stigmatised it is and I do feel for you- no one deserves that kind of treatment

• Hugs
Reactions: x~Sophia~x
x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
Whilst what Fragile said is true in that there are many variations I was refering to the quiet and explosive type.
Explosive is not nice at all to be around when their bpd expresses itself.
Most bpd will outwardly express their emotions whilst quiet types just hurt themselves instead of others directly.

I do not think I know it all I am very familiar with mental health topics though.

That might be true, but stop trying to tell me about my own mental illness. I have already said that when I have told mh professionals that I have a plan to ctb, they tell me that I have the mental capacity to make that decision, and they certainly don't section me. But you said that I WOULD be sectioned! So you don't know that much about it, do you.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
That might be true, but stop trying to tell me about my own mental illness.
There must be some confusion as I did not try to tell you about yourself?
Do you mean I should not mention bpd at all because you have it and presume I do not? I am bpd myself.

I have already said that when I have told mh professionals that I have a plan to ctb, they tell me that I have the mental capacity to make that decision, and they certainly don't section me. But you said that I WOULD be sectioned! So you don't know that much about it, do you.
This diverges from the norm and as such is bad advice for others because it is after all a statistical outlier not a rule.
If someone goes to a shrink and says they have a plan to kill themselves on X day which is near they will be put into a ward.

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
There must be some confusion as I did not try to tell you about yourself?
Do you mean I should not mention bpd at all because you have it and presume I do not? I am bpd myself.

This diverges from the norm and as such is bad advice for others because it is after all a statistical outlier not a rule.
If someone goes to a shrink and says they have a plan to kill themselves on X day which is near they will be put into a ward.

Read the NICE guidelines. It states that patients with BPD should not be hospitalised where possible, and if they are sectioned for safeguarding, this must be for a period of no more than 72 hours. The belief is that BPD patients don't do well in inpatient hospital setting due to their attachment issues and the decline of their mental health following discharge. And I'm not making it up...

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Read the NICE guidelines. It states that patients with BPD should not be hospitalised where possible, and if they are sectioned for safeguarding, this must be for a period of no more than 72 hours. The belief is that BPD patients don't do well in inpatient hospital setting due to their attachment issues and the decline of their mental health following discharge. And I'm not making it up...
Depends if the psychiatrists considers you a risk to yourself or others all they need to do is ask a judge to keep you locked up.

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
Depends if the psychiatrists considers you a risk to yourself or others all they need to do is ask a judge to keep you locked up.

Ah yes, if they consider you to be a risk to others, they'll section you, but those with BPD are considered to have the mental capacity to decide if they want to live or die. Unless you have a dual diagnosis such as Bi polar, then they'll section you under the Bipolar diagnosis, not BPD.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
but those with BPD are considered to have the mental capacity to decide if they want to live or die
I wont ask where you are but this is not conventional practise and bizarre.
Technically bpd are the most impulsive lol and lack the capacity to decide since they change their mind so much

x~Sophia~x

x~Sophia~x

Sep 10, 2020
I wont ask where you are but this is not conventional practise and bizarre.
Technically bpd are the most impulsive lol and lack the capacity to decide since they change their mind so much

Ah, so you aren't in UK?
USA? Well that explains it...

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
Imagine thinking bpd
Desperation. It was the 80s, I knew very little, and I felt backed into a corner. Thought I'd try brutal honesty.
And what happened

Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
I'm in the UK and told my (private) psychotherapist my detailed plan. She told me that the NHS doesn't really have the recourses to help much at the moment and let me leave with weekly sessions booked.

Bonkers

Bonkers

Nov 22, 2020
Imagine thinking bpd

And what happened
I was a 18 year old student, they phoned my Mum and GP and I was collected by her and taken back home. (Different city) 1-2-1 supervision shared by her and my sister, old type antidepressants and weekly double GP appointments for about 6 months. Basically existing. After that period I got a job in a bar on impulse, just walked in off the street. Followed by a year of literally sex drugs and rock n roll. Several episodes of suicidal thoughts during that time, but apathy won.

Reactions: JGT and Lastsauce
T

TheWhiskyTheLiar

Sep 18, 2020
My professionals did nothing.

I then attempted suicide. Very nearly died- the hospital staff said the MANDATORY psych consult was too much paperwork. Ni body did anything.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

Nov 14, 2020
My professionals did nothing.

I then attempted suicide. Very nearly died- the hospital staff said the MANDATORY psych consult was too much paperwork. Ni body did anything.
I have had psychs say they feel it is useless to bother with truly suicidal people as they will kill themselves anyway

Reactions: JGT
elfgyoza

elfgyoza

Cursed
Aug 5, 2019
In my experience, unless you say you're planning on doing it in the next few days, they don't really care. The NHS seems to be pushing for only resorting to hospital if people are in imminent danger.

Some examples -
Told my GP I was gonna ctb by the end of the week (it was Tuesday), he referred to crisis team who called me an hour later. I actually tried to ctb that next morning and wasn't awake when they knocked on my door that day. Answered the door the next day when they knocked, apparently they'd have got the police if I hadn't answered. After all this all I got was a night in A&E waiting for psych and then home visits from the crisis team.
Few months later I admitted I ordered stuff to do it online but didn't tell them when it arrived, had twice daily visits for like 2 weeks. Actually almost did it, started taking meto and was in a hotel room, but decided not to.
Couple of months ago I told my community mental health nurse I'd probably be gone by the end of November and I had the means to do it, didn't tell her I had SN though. She knows that the only things keeping me here atm are new episodes of the mandalorian and an assassins creed I haven't finished yet. She doesn't really seem that concerned though lol

So what I've learned is most professionals want to keep you out of hospital, they know it makes a lot of people worse. If you say you're planning to do it that day and have the means, you're probably gonna get a mental health act assessment if they actually decide to care lol

Someone who has told their psych they have a plan can I ask why you did it?
The times I've admitted to plans are when I have been having second thoughts, just like a doubt in the back of my mind that told me I shouldn't do it because it's not my time. If I ever say too much and end up in a psych ward I'd stop letting them know too much after that because then at least I'd know when to shut up. I honestly don't know when to stop talking sometimes and I'm bad at lying so I don't often do it lol

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Like others have said here, hosiptal here I come. The one time i mentioned it, I had the cops at my place in seconds, I had called and talked to my shrink and told him about a plan when he asked, and not much later a knock on the door, the cops, and off to the hospital. I learned my lesson. I say NO if asked now.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking