antler

antler

Feb 23, 2020
The ward is sick as fuck, its good dope, chill af people, and all the coloring books you could ever want.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: ascetic_ and patheticpartner
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Mental health professionals B like: "What happens in the psych ward stays in the psych ward." :devil:

Reactions: SparkleWater and patheticpartner
Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
I tried hanging myself in the psych ward with some bed sheets but I failed and instead started cutting myself so they put me in solitary confinement for a couple weeks lol. I was allowed out though, that's just where I slept (so I stayed in there like 20 hours a day).

S

Sadgirldaisy

Student
Dec 26, 2022
Ha I tried to attack the housekeeping staff because I thought they were possessed and then got charged at by someone screaming prayers at me because they thought *I* was possessed/evil.

L

letmegetout

‘People can be dead before they’ve even died’
Jan 23, 2023
I'm in the UK, I've been in four times now.
firstly they have no beds so they will most likely try the CRISIS or CATT team first who provide intense support in your own home, if they can't manage you or you want an admission and they agree it might be helpful you can ask for one and they'll start looking for a bed. It could be anywhere in the country so just bear that in mind.
I was voluntary twice and sectioned twice. I would always always recommend voluntary admission and avoid a section like the plague. You have more control as a voluntary patient, you get leave quicker- get off the ward- al NHS sites are smoke free now but some are stricter than others. Fortunately I've only been to my local ones but they don't vapes or smoking but as soon as you get grounds leave you can do that.
In terms of if it helps, for me, no, but it might for you. I don't see what the CATT team can't do that admission can do whilst you keep your own comforts. They have their own consultant to change meds, can see you everyday etc. but if you feel you can't keep yourself safe aside from their visits and you want to try and get better then hospital might be the answer to try.
First, I'd ask for a referral to the crisis team they are the gatekeepers in my area for hospital beds so you would have to be seen by them anyway before being in hospital.
Feel free to message me if I can help answer any other questions or support you x

• Love
Reactions: whywere and BrailleTogepi
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
It depends on the availability of inpatient beds where you are. The shortage is so dire here that admitting you are suicidal and have plans just isn't enough and they are sent home routinely.
Again, if you are considered eligible, your experience will depend on procedure and provision there. If you agree to go in voluntarily, you will have greater freedom and more influence regarding the duration of your stay. Being committed against your will (it's called a "section" here), is not going to make it easy for you.
I'm in the UK and we only have critical care secure facilities. It's absolute mayhem with screaming and fighting all hours of the day and night. There's never enough permanent staff, so because patients are reliant on them to access their possessions or facilities, it's just one big waiting room. Not enough staff to supervise activities, so patients are heavily medicated and parked in front of the idiot box. I did 8 months in there once. I definitely don't advise staying for extended periods because institutionalisation occurs frequently.

L

letmegetout

‘People can be dead before they’ve even died’
Jan 23, 2023
It depends on the availability of inpatient beds where you are. The shortage is so dire here that admitting you are suicidal and have plans just isn't enough and they are sent home routinely.
Again, if you are considered eligible, your experience will depend on procedure and provision there. If you agree to go in voluntarily, you will have greater freedom and more influence regarding the duration of your stay. Being committed against your will (it's called a "section" here), is not going to make it easy for you.
I'm in the UK and we only have critical care secure facilities. It's absolute mayhem with screaming and fighting all hours of the day and night. There's never enough permanent staff, so because patients are reliant on them to access their possessions or facilities, it's just one big waiting room. Not enough staff to supervise activities, so patients are heavily medicated and parked in front of the idiot box. I did 8 months in there once. I definitely don't advise staying for extended periods because institutionalisation occurs frequently.
I agree there are never enough permanent staff and it can be a very stressful environment but we don't just have critical care, we have acute units where they do the 'assessment', 'treatment' wards where they are suppose to have therapists but that depends on what hospital you are in and we have 'PICU' psychiatric intensive care units.
They do medicate because most consultants believe medications help and there's little else they can do to help which yield as fast results- yes meds tend to take 4-6 weeks to take full effect but you feel some effects sooner than that and there will be medication you can have ontop of that that you can request it's called PRN if you feel You need it, but therapy takes months and months for any benefit.
Good units will involve you in the treatment plan, if you have a community team they will invite them in to join in treatment and care discussions even if it's on the phone or miscrosoft teams etc. and you should have a say in the medication you take. Even when I was sectioned I had a say in everything. Hopefully there will be some good permanent staff and one of those will be your named nurse and they can facilitate 1-to-1's, but you can always ask to have a chat with anyone.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere