• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

RedHotRage

RedHotRage

May 1, 2023
Enneagram's a pretty interesting theory that focuses on how the trauma you faced in early childhood affect the kind of person you are today. It has 9 types, which it theorizes to be the 9 basic types of problems that these traumas create. While its origins are a bit spiritual, the guy who really developed it worked with the DSM-5 as a psychological tool and worked with some mental health patients to make it. It's helped me a lot, and while it's def not for everyone, especially if you're less inclined to spiritual or philosophical shit, I'd bet it'd be of value to someone out there.

In terms of how to find your number, there's a lot of Enneagram tests out there... but it's kinda shit compared to just taking a quick read at the descriptions. At least from my experience, when one of my friends read up on Enneagram 4, she cried. Their whole shtick is that they believe they are fundamentally flawed, fucked up people, deficient in something that everyone else has, and they have deep-rooted envy towards who can live with normal, happy lives, relationships, and circumstances, wondering why they were born as deficient. When she read into how that type forms from childhood experiences was when she really cried.

Here are various descriptions and a short summary of each of the types:
Type 1 "The passion of Anger/Resentment causes the One to be judgmental and critical, as they are constantly frustrated with themselves and the world for not living up to their high standards of perfection and correctness."
Type 2 "The passion of Pride causes the Two to deny that they are anything but selfless, as they ignore their own needs and try to specially meet the needs of others in hopes that others will praise and appreciate them for it."
Type 3 "The passion of Deceit causes the Three to be excessively image-oriented, as they lie and exaggerate their successes and knowledge in order to appear more valuable, desirable, and admirable than they feel they are."
Type 4 "The passion of Envy causes the Four to be temperamental, as they believe that they are fundamentally lacking or flawed, missing something that others have."
Type 5 "The passion of Avarice/Greed causes the Five to be detached and isolated, as they feel the world will catastrophically drain them and believe they must withdraw to prevent that."
Type 6 "The passion of Fear/Anxiety causes the Six to be suspicious and worried, as they are aware of what could go wrong and don't want to be endangered or put their trust into the wrong people or beliefs."
Type 7 "The passion of Gluttony causes the Seven to be excessive and scattered, as they are constantly seeking the next entertaining or fulfilling thing and don't want to be held back by a commitment to what they have in the present."
Type 8 "The passion of Lust causes the Eight to be domineering and excessive, as they are constantly seeking intense experiences, a way to assert their own will, and a way to manipulate situations to serve them."
Type 9 "The passion of Sloth causes the Nine to be unrealistically idealistic, as they do not want to be disturbed by a reality that is not peaceful, happy, or stable, and they are
overly flexible as a means of ignoring developing their individuality."

If you feel confident in your core type, you could look further into the 3 subtypes (Self-Preservation, Social, and Sexual) that further divide up the types. Anyways, I'll talk about my own type:

Growing up I had problems with impulse control, revenge, and kinda intense homicidal and suicidal thoughts, whatnot. While I'd indifferent to life as it is, only held back really by SI, I know that one day, in a fit of rage, I'm going to end it all. And I'm fine with that -- I'm tired of life being a never-ending series of deadness and chasing a way to feel alive again.

I figured out why that was with Enneagram. As a child, I was kinda numbed to the world because my parents gave zero shit about my inner life, and would just play murder documentaries every day. They'd also scream and yell at me over everything, including taking out their anger out on me, and it seems like that I learned as a child that anger and rage was the only way to get my way. My grandmother also had ASPD, gambled away our entire family's fortune, and scratched me where I have a scar on my body today.

Because of the stuff I went through as a kid, 99% of the time, I don't feel anything. It feels like life is really dead, and I'm just trying to find some way to kill that void. Often this manifests in my relationships, trying to feel something with some raw physical intensity. But I've been in relationships, but they're always just fucked up, because if I want to feel anything, I have to be cruel, violent, and escalate shit. I've tried being in a normal one but life just felt... dead.

So yeah, eventually, this kind of childhood and frame of the world represents an Enneagram Type 8. Really talking this through with someone gave me a lot of closure on why I am the way I am. Also, if you want help deciding and you've read the stuff above, feel free to send me a DM or comment a bit about yourself and I could give some pointers.

xelaz

xelaz

cat lover
May 2, 2023
I think I might be a type 7 some things fit some don't for example the idolization part. I don't idolise anyone or anything I try to see things as they are. I do agree that I rationalise my descitions and make up reasonings for my doings. I don't positively reframe anything.
But I am very impulsive and bad at managing my urges to do something even though I know it's bad and won't be good in the long run (spending money, staying up playing video games) there is a thing I do whenever i find a game to play, I drop everything and play it even though I should be prioritising other stuff.
I do think I am also manipulative when it serves my best interests.
As a child my house was chaotic. I was afraid of my parents so I learned how to get out of situations, for instance my mom would force me to eat and wouldn't let me leave the table until I ate everything so I figured out that if I dump the food over the balcony I am free to leave.

Reactions: RedHotRage
redeyepiranha

redeyepiranha

Jun 22, 2022
I'm counterphobic 6 which means i'm anxious, aggressive (I've thought i might be 8), controversial, sometimes paranoid and have trust issues

unexplainedExplorer

unexplainedExplorer

your local nursery mobile
May 2, 2023
type 6 gaming (i think. hard to choose which actually describes me)

uniqueusername39

uniqueusername39

Student
Mar 7, 2023
sounds like the barnum effect. i feel like 5 or 7 of them apply to me lol

dreamscape1111

dreamscape1111

all is well
Feb 1, 2023
4w5 Enneagram and INFP-T Myers Briggs! I'm trying to remember though that those are really just words and labels, and that no map is the ultimate territory.
Overall, though, it's been a really helpful discovery and yes, I also cried upon finding out that my quirks were much more common than I had initially assumed!

Just finished reading "Facets of Unity" by A. H. Almaas, and it goes a little deeper into the spiritual aspects of the Enneagram.
He says that the 9 enea types are basically different misinterpretations of reality by the ego and that each type has specific difficulties resulting from a loss of the 9 Holy Ideas (objective reality). We can "regain" clear vision by questioning our assumptions and practicing things like meditation to discover our Divinity and inherent Peace that we have never lost. Then we'll function as the flow and no longer fight against life, amazing! 🙏🤍✨

A

aSilentVoice

a quiet place
Dec 8, 2022
I'm a 6w5 and phobic. I've been a worrier for as long as I can remember

RedHotRage

RedHotRage

May 1, 2023
4w5 Enneagram and INFP-T Myers Briggs! I'm trying to remember though that those are really just words and labels, and that no map is the ultimate territory.
Overall, though, it's been a really helpful discovery and yes, I also cried upon finding out that my quirks were much more common than I had initially assumed!

Just finished reading "Facets of Unity" by A. H. Almaas, and it goes a little deeper into the spiritual aspects of the Enneagram.
He says that the 9 enea types are basically different misinterpretations of reality by the ego and that each type has specific difficulties resulting from a loss of the 9 Holy Ideas (objective reality). We can "regain" clear vision by questioning our assumptions and practicing things like meditation to discover our Divinity and inherent Peace that we have never lost. Then we'll function as the flow and no longer fight against life, amazing! 🙏🤍✨
That's pretty cool. I read Sandra Maitri, who references Almaas a lot and had similar ideas. Y'know, Holy Truth and the virtue of Innocence for the 8s really speak more to me now that I've kinda been through that shit. I feel like the darkest places in my life have been when I was furthest away from that idea.

Do you see E4's things manifest in yourself?

• Hugs
Reactions: dreamscape1111
dreamscape1111

dreamscape1111

all is well
Feb 1, 2023
Oh, yes, definitely! I don't remember all the points, but reading Almaas's book, it perfectly described all of my main hangups.
And the positive stuff too of course. :)

• Hugs
Seven Threads

Seven Threads

Iterator
Mar 5, 2023
So, the subject of the Enneagram is rather personal to me, and something that I've been familiar with for a couple of years now. I should start out by saying that I don't really hold the Enneagram to be any kind of absolute truth about personality. Every categorization system has its flaws and shortcomings, and this applies to the Enneagram, to Meyers-Briggs, and to any other system you can name. That said, there is an expression we use in our household: "All models are wrong. All models are useful." If you accept that these systems more as guides than hard truths, there's a lot one can learn about oneself by exploring them, and they can be both enlightening and useful.

As to myself, I have already taken the prominent Enneagram tests that are out there (and even paid for full results). Being honest, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to get. I identify rather strongly with all of the Enneagram types, so perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that I ended up as a type 9, through and through. And I experience pretty much all of the positives and negatives that are associated with it. Which is...a lot.

Oddly enough, though, there's more to the story than that. Not a lot of people who've seen me active here may know this, but I've been a practicing tulpamancer for some time now. To make a long story very short, tulpamancy is the art of willfully creating other sentient personalities (or tulpas) inside your head that you can speak to and interact with. People who practice do it for all kinds of reasons. In my case, I was very, very lonely, though I've since started using my tulpas (of which there are six at present) to address mental health issues and to provide perspectives that I wouldn't have on my own. Interestingly, each of them (save one) has their own Enneagram type distinct from my own. Among them I count a 1, a 3, a 4-5 split, a 7, an 8, and another 9. Suffice to say, my inner world is...complex.

Worth mentioning, I actually discovered the concept of the Enneagram through music. An artist I listen to (who goes by the name Sleeping At Last) actually released an album devoted to each of the Enneagram types, titled Atlas: Enneagram. To this day it's one of my favorite albums. So much so that I even have my favorite lyric from the song of my enneagram type permanently tattooed on my arm.

Thanks for bringing up this subject in particular. I'm quite grateful for it. :3

danishstarlight

danishstarlight

may the stars guide you. (they/he)
May 29, 2023
I am a type 5, and even though I am constantly leaning into both wings (4 and 6) from time to time, I would say my ennegram is almost perfectly balanced. :)c

upd. saw someone bringing up MBTI, so yeah, I am an INTP

RedHotRage

RedHotRage

May 1, 2023
So, the subject of the Enneagram is rather personal to me, and something that I've been familiar with for a couple of years now. I should start out by saying that I don't really hold the Enneagram to be any kind of absolute truth about personality. Every categorization system has its flaws and shortcomings, and this applies to the Enneagram, to Meyers-Briggs, and to any other system you can name. That said, there is an expression we use in our household: "All models are wrong. All models are useful." If you accept that these systems more as guides than hard truths, there's a lot one can learn about oneself by exploring them, and they can be both enlightening and useful.

As to myself, I have already taken the prominent Enneagram tests that are out there (and even paid for full results). Being honest, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to get. I identify rather strongly with all of the Enneagram types, so perhaps it shouldn't be a surprise that I ended up as a type 9, through and through. And I experience pretty much all of the positives and negatives that are associated with it. Which is...a lot.

Oddly enough, though, there's more to the story than that. Not a lot of people who've seen me active here may know this, but I've been a practicing tulpamancer for some time now. To make a long story very short, tulpamancy is the art of willfully creating other sentient personalities (or tulpas) inside your head that you can speak to and interact with. People who practice do it for all kinds of reasons. In my case, I was very, very lonely, though I've since started using my tulpas (of which there are six at present) to address mental health issues and to provide perspectives that I wouldn't have on my own. Interestingly, each of them (save one) has their own Enneagram type distinct from my own. Among them I count a 1, a 3, a 4-5 split, a 7, an 8, and another 9. Suffice to say, my inner world is...complex.

Worth mentioning, I actually discovered the concept of the Enneagram through music. An artist I listen to (who goes by the name Sleeping At Last) actually released an album devoted to each of the Enneagram types, titled Atlas: Enneagram. To this day it's one of my favorite albums. So much so that I even have my favorite lyric from the song of my enneagram type permanently tattooed on my arm.

View attachment 112816

Thanks for bringing up this subject in particular. I'm quite grateful for it. :3
I do know that the origins of the enneagram was all about fractals. That all types exist within us and some are to a greater extent internalized than others. It's why the Arica school heavily emphasized understanding ourselves through the lens of a trifix over core.

My heart is in 3, my head in 6, and my gut in 8. What about yours?

Reactions: sserafim
Seven Threads

Seven Threads

Iterator
Mar 5, 2023
I do know that the origins of the enneagram was all about fractals. That all types exist within us and some are to a greater extent internalized than others. It's why the Arica school heavily emphasized understanding ourselves through the lens of a trifix over core.

I'd say that my heart is in 2, my head is in 7, and my body is in 9. But again, it's somewhat difficult to place exactly, as I identify strongly with most of these. I'm given to understand that this is actually a characteristic of the 9, their tendency to incorporate and emulate the other types as an adaptive mechanism.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
INTP, 5w4, 539

Yeah, I think there are enneagram tritypes, right?

K

kusogoth

Sep 24, 2023
I've decided to start learning Enneagram again. I'm E4, sx/so. It's really hard.