nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
it's #suicideawarenessmonth people, another month of the same disappointing lackluster performative posts from normies across social media.

what's one thing you are sure the masses won't bother to talk about this month that you believe should be discussed?

mine include:
- warning signs are often exhibited but are ignored due to everyone for themselves mentality
- heightened consciousness of lack of future opportunity under capitalism is driving suicide rates upwards
- it is purposefully difficult to navigate society as a mentally ill individual because ->
- we are meant to believe suicidal thoughts are a personal deficiency rather than a product of our environment, in an effort for fat cats to remain blameless

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, betternever2havbeen, Jon Arbuckle and 3 others
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
The lack of effective treatments. People just assume meds and therapy will work for all.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Forever Sleep, sweetcreep and 3 others
pain6batch9

pain6batch9

Chronic
Aug 25, 2024
All of the above. Plus, environmental factors like climate change and pollution on the human psyche. What effect is climate breakdown having existentially on the younger generations?

Reactions: needthebus and divinemistress36
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
That being suicidal in and of itself is not indicative of inhibited or faulty reasoning.

• Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep, betternever2havbeen and 4 others
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
what's one thing you are sure the masses won't bother to talk about this month that you believe should be discussed?
Do they even talk about anything of substance at all?

I feel like these "_______ Month" campaigns encourage cheap, low-effort virtue signalling more than anything else.

Maybe I'm overlooking more serious efforts, but I don't recall experiencing anything positive relating to these campaigns. Only annoyance at seeing a topic like suicide being reduced to hashtags.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, needthebus and divinemistress36
C

cryptoinvestor

Student
Jul 12, 2024
Stigma. Suicide is still very taboo.

Reactions: chester
needthebus

needthebus

Student
Apr 29, 2024
-Locked facilities are terrible, and often suicidal people have the option of either getting treatment and telling the truth, which will be guaranteed to result in an expensive locked psychiatric stay that will be painful and degrading and not help at all, or the option of trying to get help while lying to a therapist or treatment provider and pretending to be sad enough for treatment but not suicidal enough to be degraded, confined, and humiliated in a locked facility. These are really awful choices caused by the mental health industry that alienate people

-Being diagnosed with a mental health disorder can make it impossible for people to do certain careers or own firearms, which is why men are reluctant to get mental health services. It's not that men aren't depressed or don't realize there's help, it's that the government has created a regulatory environment that results in people actively not wanting to get care for rational reasons. Even just being diagnosed with a major depressive disorder means that certain rights are impacted in many countries.

-Psychiatric inpatient stays are terrible expensive. People are not guaranteed to not lose a job, it can prevent people from completing school, and if people know you've been hospitalized there's a stigma attached. If someone is hospitalized involuntarily, they can be billed even if they never consented to treatment in some countries, enriching doctors and impoverishing the hospitalized and their families

-Society tends to enact rules that make them feel collectively better, but don't really solve any problems. It's not a lack of mental health awareness that results in suicides. No one goes "Hmm... I am sad. I really wish there was something I could do to change it, like take some pills or talk to someone, but I'm not sure how to figure out how to make that happen. Instead, I'll just end my life."

-Many suicidal people are not that irrational and just are tired of pain. Often talk therapy and pills are expensive, time-wasting, have side effects, and don't really solve the underlying problem going on. Many suicidal people have already tried these things.

-Mental health awareness months are insulting to people who are suicidal and depressed because it implies that we just don't realize that they are benevolent and wanting to help, and only if they put up more posters and ads about suicide hotlines (which typically result in involuntary kidnapping and imprisonment in hospitals), then it would solve everything

-They should change the name of "Mental Health Awareness" month to "Let's Try to Feel Better About All The People Who Are Saying Fuck This and Exiting This Awful Existence by Promoting Drugs and Therapy to People Who Already Know About That."

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Alexei_Kirillov and chester
nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
Do they even talk about anything of substance at all?

I feel like these "_______ Month" campaigns encourage cheap, low-effort virtue signalling more than anything else.

Maybe I'm overlooking more serious efforts, but I don't recall experiencing anything positive relating to these campaigns. Only annoyance at seeing a topic like suicide being reduced to hashtags.
i never said it served any benefit. i'm only asking to get a consensus of what is important to this community and where we feel we are being misrepresented or misheard

Jon Arbuckle

Jon Arbuckle

Aspiring Corpse
Jul 23, 2024
That there really are just some cases where suicide is the only choice left for some reason.

Reactions: needthebus
C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
Breaking the idiotic stereotype that if you want to die = you're mentally ill. There are many situations in life in which wanting to live would mean there's something wrong with you.

• Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep, Sarros and 2 others
needthebus

needthebus

Student
Apr 29, 2024
That there really are just some cases where suicide is the only choice left for some reason.
Right, like all this mental health awareness is all about "suicide is bad" but what about someone who has lost a loved one and has a terminal illness? Will a locked facility and taking a bunch of drugs with side-effects make that better?

People should be able to have autonomy and be allowed to feel sad if they want to without having to try to improve.

The worst part of depression and feeling suicidal is having to go through it alone, to keep it hidden, so as to avoid being forced on drugs and locked up until you lie and say you are happy.

• Hugs
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and Jon Arbuckle
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
That involving AI in suicide prevention is wrong. Having AI scan my social media to detect suicidal ideation is not helpful and it eventually will make people scared to express themselves even online.

Reactions: Forever Sleep and Alexei_Kirillov
needthebus

needthebus

Student
Apr 29, 2024
That involving AI in suicide prevention is wrong. Having AI scan my social media to detect suicidal ideation is not helpful and it eventually will make people scared to express themselves even online.
They do that now?

C

cryptoinvestor

Student
Jul 12, 2024
THIS. Suicidal emo girl/boy is actually one of the aesthetics I dig, the tag was censored on instagram, making people feel "wrong" and invalidated. Seems like AI is coming for everything and everyone, this world will be unrecognisable by 2030. I hope I won't be around to witness the AI takeover and transhumanism

• Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, wCvML2 and needthebus
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
They do that now?
On reddit it's already implemented afaik, that if a post is detected with suicidal intent an automated private message will be sent to the user with the suicide hotline. In its current form it's not a problem, I'm just afraid this AI will be used with ill-intention in the future after it was already trained to detect suicidal posts like sending police etc.

• Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: cryptoinvestor, needthebus, Forever Sleep and 1 other person