U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
What do you do when you feel like contacting a crisis line only made you feel worse ?

Was trying to stop cutting just for a few days .
But got so stressed out.
Was asking about other ways to relieve stress
And how to get my mind to do tasks that are for some reason just so much harder when I'm this low.

I still definitely belong in the suicide section but this question seemed best suited to the recovery section.

• Hugs
Reactions: bed
bambie200

bambie200

Feb 15, 2024
If it's any comfort, I've heard lots of stories and have personal experience of crisis lines being notoriously useless and just straight up terrible.

So you're probably not alone in your experience. I'm still sorry it happened to you, it sucks

• Love
Reactions: Unsure and alone and Valky
motob

motob

Oct 20, 2023
What do you do when you feel like contacting a crisis line only made you feel worse ?

But got so stressed out.
And how to get my mind to do tasks that are for some reason just so much harder when I'm this low.

I still definitely belong in the suicide section but this question seemed best suited to the recovery section.
I'm sorry that happened to you. It always hits especially hard when you're at a low point and someone who can't understand somehow makes you feel worse.
Honestly I coped with interactions like that by laughing off the absurdity of it. Like a crisis line making my crisis worse? That's their one job lol.
Some more advice is to just take it one moment at a time. Go change into fresh clothes. Or drink a glass of water. Or just let yourself cry a bit. I try to redirect whenever I feel like I'm going to SH

• Love
Reactions: Unsure and alone, divinemistress36 and kawaiiphantom
Don’tfallin

Don’tfallin

Feb 17, 2024
Really depends who you get on the other line but more often than not it's not worth your time. Better to try to self regulate if you can.

Reactions: divinemistress36
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Idk if it helps but here are some ways to distract yourself from wanting to self harm until the strong urge stops:

-Fake Blood (some people like to draw it onto their skin to make it look like cuts, may sound a bit silly but it really helps to refocus while still getting that feeling out of the way of having to see blood, until you can be happy again)
- Eating spicy food or just straight up chili peppers (physical distraction, helps to take your mind off the the thought of wanting to self harm)
- Doing sports (I know that this can be an extremely hard thing to do, especially when paired with depression but it helps to distract yourself and the physical effects on your body can tire it out enough to resist the urge)
- Heat Creams (the burning sensation does not want to make me cut anymore, since I completely focus on the pain, bigger bandaids are better for a stronger effect, downside is that it takes 10-15 minutes to start working, so finding something else to do during that time is recommended)

• Love
Reactions: moshimoshi and divinemistress36
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Good question.... it happened to me many times and still does sometimes. I started to mirror their stupidity but of course I dont always succeed.
Sometimes I hang up and just want to cry and hurt myself. Sometimes I take tranquillizers to calm down.
I m sorry you re experiencing the same.

• Hugs
Reactions: Unsure and alone
D

DavidInternet

Jan 3, 2024

But got so stressed out.

Don't worry about it. They're manned by human beings, who often make mistakes. Here in the UK, we have the Samaritans. I've rang them and once or twice they've been been brilliant. The last time I rang them, the person was very judgemental, which in itself was actually quite useful as it reinforced my existing beliefs.

Reactions: divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I find that people give better support on here than any crisis line

• Informative
Reactions: moshimoshi, Unsure and alone, Juli and 1 other person
Y

Young.Werther

Student
Apr 11, 2023
I just realized that they suck. The person on the other hand is entering the conversation with a fundamental difference in being pro-life. It was quite painful but after enough bad interactions I just stopped. Doesn't matter how much it hurts, calling them won't help. I don't know if they can actually section you, but I would not be surprised if they could, regardless of what they say.

It would be nicer if we had pro-choice hotlines. Honestly I think these might be more effective even from a pro-life POV. More people willing to call in if they know they won't get sectioned and will have someone willing to actually listen instead of delivering some canned pro-life spiel. Also realizing that some people really just need to leave would be huge, but of course the world sucks.

In terms of tangible advice, I just end up sucking it up. I cry and sleep until the pain fades enough to go back to "normal." It sucks, would not recommend but there aren't a ton of options. One thing you could try (if it is an option) is talking to a friend. I will just say that you should be careful for a few reasons. One, try to make sure this person won't rat you out, and two don't overburden them. This is how you ruin a friendship (I should know).

But mostly, I cry and sleep and eventually it fades (until next time). Sometimes I can distract myself with TV or book, but it's hit or miss. It sucks. I wish things were better, but this is how it is. This whole post sounds kind of awful, so I'll end it on a different note. I hope you find peace, whatever that looks like for you (bus ticket or recovery).

• Hugs
atdusk

atdusk

Feb 12, 2024
I have found people who really helped and people that not. But maybe the person that couldn't connect with me was exactly the person that other person needed. I don't think it's an exact science.

Besides, I don't think they have a very high budget for training. Maybe sometimes is just someone that wants to help but doesn't really know how to do It.

But at least they care. The fact that someone is here when you are thinking that nobody cares about your pain has a meaning. Maybe you get mad about how they suck at their work, but getting mad is at least a different emotion than despair.