D

Deleted member 65988

After the experience woth my grandson i read into the theory of little children remembering their former lifes. One might say it's bogus, pseudoscience, thats alright with me.
I respectfully do not think we should take the claims of children seriously especially about a past life because then does that mean we are take the claims of child who says they lived during the 2nd century in Greece under the Roman Empire seriously or even me saying that I was part of Nitta Yoshisadas army at the Battle of Bubaigawara in 1333 and Minatogawa in 1336. There just isn't credibility to such claims beyond what you personally experienced.

People are really good at convincing themselves of things they want to believe, even a child can convince himself and his parents. Every single bit of evidence points to once your brain dies, that's you gone, nothing left to carry on and how would information of who you were even be carried into a new brain at birth since the brain doesn fully form for sometime, that means your learned experiences in this life are for nought if you can't use them in the next.

urwelcomelb

urwelcomelb

There was nobody there.
Nov 23, 2023
personally, I believe that after death is nonexistence. Like, do you remember what it was like before you were born? no, because you didn't exist. that's what I believe is after death, you cease existing, which is something that is practically impossible to imagine, but it's what I believe is most realistic.
however, I do also like the thought of there being some sort of afterlife. like, dying and then being whisked away to heaven where you can only feel happiness and you can do whatever you want without feeling miserable and dragged down my society. it's wishful thinking, but it's nice to think about

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
L

Latubmen

Nov 18, 2023
After death I hope that nothing will happen.
There will not be anything and no "self", no consciousness. State of nonexistence

ADeadBunny

ADeadBunny

šŸŖ¦ July 20th, 2003 - January 8th, 2024
Nov 19, 2023
I personally don't believe that nothingness is what happens when you die for one big reason. Math.

There is one option that is oblivion, but as you can get a glimpse of in this thread, there are infinite options of there being 'something'... whatever that is. I'm not opposed to any of the proposed options of what happens to consiousness in death though.

My thought process is "anywhere is better than here" so I'm good with anything. Even if I go to a would be hell or purgatory, at least then nothing matters right? Everyone there would be suffering just like I am and I wouldn't have to get up everyday and pretend that I'm fine with it all. I'd probably make a real and meaningful connection in a place like that.

DT2007

DT2007

reincarnation
Oct 9, 2023
I respectfully do not think we should take the claims of children seriously especially about a past life because then does that mean we are take the claims of child who says they lived during the 2nd century in Greece under the Roman Empire seriously or even me saying that I was part of Nitta Yoshisadas army at the Battle of Bubaigawara in 1333 and Minatogawa in 1336. There just isn't credibility to such claims beyond what you personally experienced.

People are really good at convincing themselves of things they want to believe, even a child can convince himself and his parents. Every single bit of evidence points to once your brain dies, that's you gone, nothing left to carry on and how would information of who you were even be carried into a new brain at birth since the brain doesn fully form for sometime, that means your learned experiences in this life are for nought if you can't use them in the next.
I think its a big difference between what adults claim and what children claim. Adults are surely influenced by experiences they made and believes they grew up with. Little children are not. If a little child tells you things it hasnt heard or learned anout, out of the blue, thats more believable imho, then you or i claiming something. The brain and it's functions are pretty much not well charted. Neuroscience can not answer many questions but has a lot of theories there to be proven. This life is this life and what comes after that is something completely different. I would see it as a new start without burdons to be carried around. But after all, who cpuld possibly know.

Mistiie

Mistiie

This is a Junly moment
Nov 10, 2023
I really wish reincarnation was a real thing. I don't personally believe in it (because there's no/little evidence pointing towards that direction and a lot against it) but it's something that I hope is true in the end. What bothers me about my life is myself, not the world around me. As a result I just wish I was someone else, born somewhere else, in a different time. I'd probably be happy then.

D

Deleted member 65988

I think its a big difference between what adults claim and what children claim. Adults are surely influenced by experiences they made and believes they grew up with. Little children are not. If a little child tells you things it hasnt heard or learned anout, out of the blue, thats more believable imho, then you or i claiming something. The brain and it's functions are pretty much not well charted. Neuroscience can not answer many questions but has a lot of theories there to be proven. This life is this life and what comes after that is something completely different. I would see it as a new start without burdons to be carried around. But after all, who cpuld possibly know.
Neuroscience has already answered that once our brain stops functioning, we are gone unless there's new evidence that you have that it isn't the case, that there is a part of us that lives on again because the self as you and I are cannot survive the destruction of the brain.

The problem with children when it comes to things like this is that children have very active imaginations. They are unreliable narrators. There's also the problem that our memories are physical so how would a child's brain that isn't even functioning at full capacity even be able to make coherent sense of memories that aren't even theirs but it's still theirs but from another life lived.

There's just too many problems with reincarnation for me to warrant taking it seriously and many have already convinced themselves that this is what will happen after death.

Philosophically, if you have no memory or connection to a past life, then how is that you? Personality and self are physical constructs of the brain, as evidenced by the myriad cases where damage to the brain changed someone's whole personality.

It requires there to be some sort of soul that carries a record of your life, that is measured after your death and then reassigned to some new lifeform to try again. All of which is 'not even wrong'. There's no possible way to have any evidence against that, since there's never been any evidence for it.

Until a mechanism by which it could function can be proposed and tested, there is no reason to treat it as a coherent or reasonable claim.

But I get it, some of you want a chance to experience the things you never stood a chance at in this life, to not live with the same trauma or illness you have right now, to be beautiful, to experience love, be healthier or successful in another life, to live out the opportunities you don't have now, to no longer be burdened by the life you live, that you want to get away from. Problem is, living in just another time or part of the world doesn't guarantee you will be happier, you may even be worse off, still dealing with the same existential crisis that comes with being a human. Whose to say even being born as someone else will be everything you imagine it to be, without considering the trade-offs. I don't find fault in that like people out there who believe they'll live for eternity worshipping whatever God they believe and that they'll be happy forever, it's always about getting away from the human condition you are desperately still attached to.

Last edited by a moderator:
W3akCr3atur3

W3akCr3atur3

Empty and hollow
Aug 3, 2020
Realistically I don't think there's gonna be anything but nothingness, but I'm trying to convince myself that there will be some sort of rebirth in a better life, perhaps something like isekai. Even if it's just lying to oneself, maybe it can help reduce the fear of death and give some hope, since there's none in real world anymore.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
The idea of not existing is nice and scary at the same time. Like I'd love to ctb but the idea I'll never see anyone or speak to anyone or love anymore scares me alot.

D

Deleted member 65988

The idea of not existing is nice and scary at the same time. Like I'd love to ctb but the idea I'll never see anyone or speak to anyone or love anymore scares me alot.
I don't think that's something you'll be inconvenienced by when you are dead, it's a concern now because you are alive to think about it.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
I don't think that's something you'll be inconvenienced by when you are dead, it's a concern now because you are alive to think about it.
It's one of the biggest things keeping me from ctb because as corny as it is, I love my family and friends, idea of the pain I would cause them is more than enough to keep me staying alive

SoulofSteel

SoulofSteel

Nov 20, 2023
The same how it was before we were born nothing.

D

Deleted member 65988

It's one of the biggest things keeping me from ctb because as corny as it is, I love my family and friends, idea of the pain I would cause them is more than enough to keep me staying alive
I get that, im way past that point now to care about the inability to love, it doesn't make up for all the reasons I have for ctb. For me, you'll die one day and someone will still be pain, you can't prevent it, ctb or not.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
I get that, im way past that point now to care about the inability to love, it doesn't make up for all the reasons I have for ctb. For me, you'll die one day and someone will still be pain, you can't prevent it, ctb or not.
That's true, but I still believe it would hurt others around me more If I committed rather then died naturally.

D

Deleted member 65988

That's true, but I still believe it would hurt others around me more If I committed rather then died naturally.
I get that, again that's your valid and honest decision and many others as well but to me, it ceased to matter the moment I began to take active steps towards ctb. Nothing about family or non-existent friends could make it better and suddenly make me stop wanting to ctb unless i was forced to. There's no feeling in that regard from me, not that I'm now an unemotional robot but I just ceased to be concerned about something like that, it's like who cares about what people say about you when you're dead, like old high school friends or colleagues, it won't matter.

DT2007

DT2007

reincarnation
Oct 9, 2023
Neuroscience has already answered that once our brain stops functioning, we are gone unless there's new evidence that you have that it isn't the case, that there is a part of us that lives on again because the self as you and I are cannot survive the destruction of the brain.

The problem with children when it comes to things like this is that children have very active imaginations. They are unreliable narrators. There's also the problem that our memories are physical so how would a child's brain that isn't even functioning at full capacity even be able to make coherent sense of memories that aren't even theirs but it's still theirs but from another life lived.

There's just too many problems with reincarnation for me to warrant taking it seriously and many have already convinced themselves that this is what will happen after death.

Philosophically, if you have no memory or connection to a past life, then how is that you? Personality and self are physical constructs of the brain, as evidenced by the myriad cases where damage to the brain changed someone's whole personality.

It requires there to be some sort of soul that carries a record of your life, that is measured after your death and then reassigned to some new lifeform to try again. All of which is 'not even wrong'. There's no possible way to have any evidence against that, since there's never been any evidence for it.

Until a mechanism by which it could function can be proposed and tested, there is no reason to treat it as a coherent or reasonable claim.

But I get it, some of you want a chance to experience the things you never stood a chance at in this life, to not live with the same trauma or illness you have right now, to be beautiful, to experience love, be healthier or successful in another life, to live out the opportunities you don't have now, to no longer be burdened by the life you live, that you want to get away from. Problem is, living in just another time or part of the world doesn't guarantee you will be happier, you may even be worse off, still dealing with the same existential crisis that comes with being a human. Whose to say even being born as someone else will be everything you imagine it to be, without considering the trade-offs. I don't find fault in that like people out there who believe they'll live for eternity worshipping whatever God they believe and that they'll be happy forever, it's always about getting away from the human condition you are desperately still attached to.
Children do have a vivid, active imagination. But you can hardly imagine something you never heard of or been in touch with. We're talking about little children up to three years old who are still developing. You never heard of samurai, or seen anything about the subject, how can you imagine one that fits in factual events e.g.

After a brain injury, you might suffer from social anxiety, irritability, anger, depression, feelings of overwhelm, general anxiety, mood swings, or emotional lability (teariness). But make no mistake: While these symptoms can make it seem like you're a different person now, your personality is intact. It's just buried under the weight of emotional symptoms that are so, so hard to handle. It changes you. But its still you after all with all your memories, experiences and everything. It changes your behaviour, your reactions, your coping mechanisms, you may get a psychological ICD listed disorder, but its still you.

If you lose your short or long term memories lets say in an accident. Are you still you? I would say yes. Just not burdened by past experiences and memories anymore.

Physical storage means that perceptions are encoded and stored using the language of electricity and chemicals. The brain is no HDD.

I wonder why people always go for "better life" if there is another one. No one makes promises like that, thats just hopes. As a human yiu will always have human struggles to endure. I don't mind that really.

I like talking to you btw.

D

Deleted member 65988

Children do have a vivid, active imagination. But you can hardly imagine something you never heard of or been in touch with. We're talking about little children up to three years old who are still developing. You never heard of samurai, or seen anything about the subject, how can you imagine one that fits in factual events e.g.

After a brain injury, you might suffer from social anxiety, irritability, anger, depression, feelings of overwhelm, general anxiety, mood swings, or emotional lability (teariness). But make no mistake: While these symptoms can make it seem like you're a different person now, your personality is intact. It's just buried under the weight of emotional symptoms that are so, so hard to handle. It changes you. But its still you after all with all your memories, experiences and everything. It changes your behaviour, your reactions, your coping mechanisms, you may get a psychological ICD listed disorder, but its still you.

If you lose your short or long term memories lets say in an accident. Are you still you? I would say yes. Just not burdened by past experiences and memories anymore.

Physical storage means that perceptions are encoded and stored using the language of electricity and chemicals. The brain is no HDD.

I wonder why people always go for "better life" if there is another one. No one makes promises like that, thats just hopes. As a human yiu will always have human struggles to endure. I don't mind that really.

I like talking to you btw.
I do too but I'm actually bored now. I think I've made my point now to keep going and talking. I'm simply following what's most likely to be the natural explanation of what happens after we die, whatever is beyond is just our own personal expectations. Maybe we can pick this up again if I'm still around and haven't ctb.

By the way, my boredom is not meant as swipe at you, it's just that I'm done with long conversations for one day however I will take a closer look at what you said here.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
I get that, again that's your valid and honest decision and many others as well but to me, it ceased to matter the moment I began to take active steps towards ctb. Nothing about family or non-existent friends could make it better and suddenly make me stop wanting to ctb unless i was forced to. There's no feeling in that regard from me, not that I'm now an unemotional robot but I just ceased to be concerned about something like that, it's like who cares about what people say about you when you're dead, like old high school friends or colleagues, it won't matter.
I was the same. I couldn't care less what anyone else felt or said, it's funny how suffering really changes your perspective on things and people

D

Deleted member 65988

I was the same. I couldn't care less what anyone else felt or said, it's funny how suffering really changes your perspective on things and people
you may have been the same but that doesn't mean I arrived at the same perspective for reasons that you once accepted. I've removed myself from being concerned things I can't do a thing about, who gets hurt and how is not up to me to think about anymore. I've already seen how death has hurt my family 3 times inside a year, it's something that didn't even seriously derail my ctb plans even if I had my doubts about it.

B

BaloonGuy

Nov 16, 2023
I don't think anything happens dawg.

• Love
Reactions: Humble
Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
you may have been the same but that doesn't mean I arrived at the same perspective for reasons that you once accepted. I've removed myself from being concerned things I can't do a thing about, who gets hurt and how is not up to me to think about anymore. I've already seen how death has hurt my family 3 times inside a year, it's something that didn't even seriously derail my ctb plans even if I had my doubts about it.
I have no problem about that :) I'm sorry if I seem insensitive or something. I hope everything goes well for you though

D

Deleted member 65988

I have no problem about that :) I'm sorry if I seem insensitive or something. I hope everything goes well for you though
It's alright, I don't mind the discussion at all seeing as how busy this thread has kept me. In all honesty, it's a legitimate reason to not want to hurt people you care about, it's a natural response to what this action could possibly do in terms of consequences that could be chaotic, someone else may ctb after you as well so trust me, even in Cyberpunk 2077 suicide ending when V chooses to ctb at the end, the messages from Panam, Judy, Viktor, Misty and Mama Welles impacted people who were watching but credit to the VAs because even Judys reaction got to me a little. Reactions like that stir emotion in people to think about the gravity of thier actions and what it could mean for those they leave behind, I've just become numb to because it doesn't change the reality of ctb for me, i guess I also underestimate my own impact.

dreamingofrest

dreamingofrest

so, so tired
Nov 7, 2023
I have no idea what happens. Possibly nothingness but I suppose there's no way to be certain until it happens.
For what I want though? I'm not sure. I do like the idea of nothingness, but there could be some form of afterlife or reincarnation that I would be okay with.

D

Deleted member 65988

Gee, I wonder when the next "what do you hope happens after death" thread will be.

Humble

Humble

Just chillin'
Nov 26, 2023
It's alright, I don't mind the discussion at all seeing as how busy this thread has kept me. In all honesty, it's a legitimate reason to not want to hurt people you care about, it's a natural response to what this action could possibly do in terms of consequences that could be chaotic, someone else may ctb after you as well so trust me, even in Cyberpunk 2077 suicide ending when V chooses to ctb at the end, the messages from Panam, Judy, Viktor, Misty and Mama Welles impacted people who were watching but credit to the VAs because even Judys reaction got to me a little. Reactions like that stir emotion in people to think about the gravity of thier actions and what it could mean for those they leave behind, I've just become numb to because it doesn't change the reality of ctb for me, i guess I also underestimate my own impact.
This is a perfect explanation. I hope your numbness goes away someday, if that's what you'd like.

š—Ÿš—¼š—»š—²š—¹š˜†

š—Ÿš—¼š—»š—²š—¹š˜†

Deeming that I were better dead
Oct 28, 2023
I'm agnostic. I believe we're just humans so anything out of this world is unknown to us (existance of god and his nature) till the very end. We die with so little knowledge about this world so how could we know what happens afterwards (just my opinion ofc).
HOWEVER I would love to believe that there is nothing after this life, the thought of eternal life after life is insanely scary. I'm 21 and already tired, let alone if I had to live forever. ;-;:pfff:

mafuyu

mafuyu

electric angel
Feb 9, 2023
nothing

you decompose and become part of the earth. that's science

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
G

gbi2

Specialist
Jul 10, 2023
All your problems go away and some people inherit some of them and finally find out how hard you had it.

lockedrooftops

lockedrooftops

A low place, with or without you
Aug 29, 2023
The thought of "nothingness" really scares me even though I do hope that is what lies after death, since I wouldn't want eternal torture in hell as described by most religions.

D

Deleted member 65988

This is a perfect explanation. I hope your numbness goes away someday, if that's what you'd like.
Nope, it's never going away, if it hasn't all these years of ideation passively and then actively then it's always going to be there. I've already invested a great amount of time into researching sn unlike anything else I've focused on in a long time so there's a level of seriousness to this that I've applied, I can't just go back to being the same I was before since I've become so knowledgeable now for my own cause. I'll always be thinking about ctb.