I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I'm in Canada. Currently we have bill C-14. But a new proposed bill being postponed from corona, is billC-7. It openly discriminates against mental illness. The new bill will be available for end of life and physical disability.

What's happening in your country? I know most countries don't have any.

Reactions: AmDead
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
USA, we basically don't have any.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
You have Oregon and California. And I think a third. All for the end of life.
It's hard to get. You need to be already dying, and like 6 months. also, doctors need to decide you're suffering enough to deserve to get relief. It's nearly impossible to get it and you can't, and often people die before it gets through paperwork.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
It's hard to get. You need to be already dying, and like 6 months. also, doctors need to decide you're suffering enough to deserve to get relief. It's nearly impossible to get it and you can't, and often people die before it gets through paperwork.
Yeah. Canada has had the same laws until this new bill was introduced.
I also get annoyed that it's by the state in the USA. Not fair.

SleepyTime

SleepyTime

Oct 10, 2019
also, doctors need to decide you're suffering enough to deserve to get relief. It's nearly impossible to get it and you can't, and often people die before it gets through paperwork.

I need to call you out on this completely false and misleading statement.

First, you can currently obtain assistance with suicide in the following states: California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington.

Second, it is completely false that there is any need to show "suffering".
The only requirements are:
  1. You need to be a resident of the above states; and
  2. You need to be 18 years of age or older; and
  3. You need to be mentally competent - able to make and communicate your wish; and
  4. You need to have been diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within 6 month.
Third, depending upon differences in the state laws, there are only two waiting periods. A 15-20 day waiting period after making a first oral request. And between 0-2 days waiting period after making a written request before obtaining the prescription for the drugs. In total, between 2-3 weeks from first request to obtaining the prescription. Any additional time would be due to the patient not continuing with the next steps.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, IrRegularjoe and Isadeth
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020

First, you can currently obtain assistance with suicide in the following states: California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington.

3. You need to be mentally competent - able to make and communicate your wish; and
  4. You need to have been diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within 6 month.
Third, depending upon differences in the state laws, there are only two waiting periods. A 15-20 day waiting period after making a first oral request. And between 0-2 days waiting period after making a written request before obtaining the prescription for the drugs. In total, between 2-3 weeks from first request to obtaining the prescription. Any additional time would be due to the patient not continuing with the next steps.
There would have been nicer ways of approaching that. My info was simply outdated, and the point that remains accurate is terminal illness with 6 months to live. That excludes most people.

• Hugs
Reactions: Isadeth
D

donquixote42

Aug 14, 2020
Illegal (Czech Republic)

I don't know what the stance of our governing party is on the Issue, but I know for sure that the Pirate Party is mostly pro-choice (which is hardly surprising thanks to their libertarian focus) whereas Christian Democrats are firmly in opposition being a conservative party.

Reactions: IrRegularjoe
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Illegal in the state I reside in (NC, USA).

It would seem I lack requirements 1 and 4, where 4 is a very difficult requirement to meet, meaning you have to be very ill and sick with the prognosis of <6 months of life remaining.

Reactions: Huntfish34
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I live in Australia, the state of Victoria. There is a fairly new option for assisted dying for the terminally ill.

MiepMoop

MiepMoop

Aug 22, 2020
The Netherlands!

Reactions: Busdriver and Huntfish34