uglyugly

uglyugly

Student
Aug 24, 2024
I don't believe in either a heaven or a hell after death - I'm agnostic.

I think hell is this stinking world. We are separated from nature, from each other (mostly) and from any creator who may exist. Our bodies experience pain, fatigue, and eventually shrivel and die. We watch family, friends, pets and others pass away and leave us with huge holes that are never filled. Sounds like hell to me.

Reactions: sserafim
Just_Another_Person

Just_Another_Person

Student
Sep 16, 2024
Ok, so I was wondering how is the exact religious view about it and to my surprise they are generally "gentle" (except one đź’€) as in you won't be automatically going to hell if you commit suicide.

Catholic & Lutheran (Protestant?) Church: you can still be "saved" and go to Heaven, the chance is higher if you have depression or similar mental health... issues? Anyway, it will depend on the circumstances.

Judaism: your situation may not be very good but you can still be "saved". Depression and similar are also taken into account.

Islam: well... you probably gonna go to Hell and there you will be tortured forever by the method you used to kill yourself (makes me wonder how that would work in case of N, SN and other peaceful methods). But there is the chance that Allah/God forgive you and you can enter paradise.

I'm not saying "go commit suicide, you will go to Heaven", I'm just citing that could not be a instant condemnation.

I only put Abrahamic religions because these are the ones I have some knowledge and can interpret "correctly". Also because the afterlife in these is similar. Also because took a lot of time to properly get the answers đź’€. There are ofc other religions and you can have your own beliefs (or not belief in anything).

Last edited:
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Heaven and hell are human inventions/creations. They do not exist in reality or actuality

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
I'm also a Christian, but I believe in physicalism (that humans don't have a "soul" as in immaterial substance dualism), because the word translated soul is psyche and just means life or whole living being. So when we die we are dead and unconscious... until the resurrection at the last day. The hope of an "afterlife" described in the Bible is a physical resurrection on a physical new earth after the last day. The Bible never says anyone goes to heaven (where God is) except Jesus who ascended. Hell for the lost is also not eternal torture as a ghostly being but rather a literal physical execution of the risen lost (also happening at the last day) and is called the second death, where they get burned up in the lake of fire and then cease to exist (called conditional immortality or annihilationism). Granted, these are minority interpretations but not without textual foundation. Many scholars of the Old Testament agree that the Hebrews didn't have a concept of immaterial souls/ghosts going to heaven or down to hell until very late. The Hebrew word often translated hell is sheol, and it is also often translated as grave by the same translators. So "going to hell" means basically just dying or falling into the grave. Those who are in sheol are described as being silent, unable to praise God and like beasts who died.

C

chester

Student
Aug 1, 2024
it just seems to make this whole life on Earth so utterly pointless. It would mean that all humans, in all generations, just live, run around the Earth for a while, have a few experiences, possibly procreate, raise their children, and then die, and that's it. End of story. When I contrast this with the possibility of an afterlife, it seems to give life on Earth far more significance and purpose.
I think the opposite. I used to like to think that because this life is all we have, it makes it much more precious and valuable. Otherwise life would be what? Just a test of whether we are worthy of not burning in hell? Or whether we deserve to reincarnate as a person or a duck? If life is all we have, then this is our only chance experience existence, to feel anything.

If we didn't need bodies to exist, why have bodies in the first place? Ah, right, creating new humans requires bodies, is that the only purpose then? Doesn't make much sense to me.

At the beginning I wrote "I used to like to think..." because I no longer like this thought. Once your life goes to shit it's understandable to want something else. I wish I believed there was something after. Paradoxically I think this could give me strength to endure the worst nightmares here if I knew it'll pay off. But life is what it is, take it or leave it. As long as you enjoy it or find it worthwhile for any reason, life doesn't need to have any eternal meaning.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I don't believe in either since I'm not religious. I think that after death is just permanent non existence