Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
I grew up Christian. I'm not one anymore.

I've tried reading the Quran and I just don't see how people can read it and think Allah is anything more than a literary character.

Christians often tell people to start with John, and I know why. It's the most fantastical of the 4 gospels and the Jesus depicted sounds really great. It reads like historical fiction to me though.

Reactions: houseofleaves and Bigpink
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
It's the absurdity of life that makes me believe this all can't be up to chance. Let me put it another way. I'm shocked and disgusted at the evil in the world that is allowed to run rampant. I refuse to believe that there is not some sort of opposing force to that evil.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Astral Storm, whatevs and Slimetae
BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
With Christianity/Islam, I think it's fairly straightforward. Either you were born into it and it's strongly attached to your identity, or you believe it because you want to believe in a higher power/forgiveness of sins. Answer above is also good

Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
I hope some charismatic schizo in 2000 years finds a Fate: Apocrypha manga and somehow manages to convince everyone to praise the astolfo bean plushie.

• Yay!
Reactions: NSA, DynamicDepression, houseofleaves and 1 other person
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
It's the absurdity of life that makes me believe this all can't be up to chance. Let me put it another way. I'm shocked and disgusted at the evil in the world that is allowed to run rampant. I refuse to believe that there is not some sort of opposing force to that evil.
What's your religion?

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
The Great Pikachu is our Lord and Saviour.

Images

• Wow
Reactions: NSA and houseofleaves
B

Bigpink

Warlock
Oct 12, 2020
I look forward to a time when Bible/Koran are in the general fiction section of libraries and book stores

Reactions: houseofleaves
D

DAMN.

Apr 17, 2022
I think that what convinces most people of their beliefs is seeing (or thinking they see) God working in their life. I agree it would be difficult for anyone to just randomly start reading a religious text and believe any of it.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
I think that what convinces most people of their beliefs is seeing (or thinking they see) God working in their life. I agree it would be difficult for anyone to just randomly start reading a religious text and believe any of it.
My life is awful despite my best efforts. What religion is right for me?

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Bold of you to assume most religious people ever read their religion's scripture.

Reactions: Bigpink and BruhXDDDDD
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Some people just rationalize that whatever happens to them or the world is in the plan of a higher power to cope imo.

Reactions: Weebster
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Then why do they believe in it?
Indoctrination (usually) from a very young age. When your whole life has been people telling you something is a certain way and all other perspectives are "sinful" or "demonic", it's hard to see it in any other way. It's also easier to make up stories about how God is loving and benevolent than to face the fact that YHWH is arguably the villain of the Bible.

• Love
Reactions: Weebster and whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
This is entirely due to social pressure/integration. In a religious society the normies will adapt and try their best to believe, in an atheist one they will do the same thing but in the opposite direction. In reality they only believe in making sure they are not at odds with the dominant ideology.

559413e8eab8eac877d8d3ce

Reactions: DynamicDepression and Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
in an atheist one they will do the same thing but in the opposite direction.
This is like telling a Christian or a Buddhist that their great religion is just another religion. It would be disruptive and offensive because it is so obviously true. The various confirmation biases that help irreligious people feel a sense of understanding, agency and comradery in the world are based on the same underlying mechanisms as the religious counterparts that they view as beneath them.

Stepping outside of these various thought bubbles, the answer is extremely obvious: Life exists even though it makes no sense that anything at all should exist. We have little or no control, and we have little or no understanding of anything of substance. The end.

Quick, let's construct a theistic or atheistic belief structure so we can live within a walled garden of delusion.

Reactions: DynamicDepression and whatevs
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Not sure the answer to this specific question, but I'd say in general human brains are just absolutely terrible. They are just good enough for survival, but also riddled with problems. Everyone is susceptible to delusional beliefs, some worse than others.

Reactions: Weebster
H

Hookah-smoking-cat

Apr 24, 2022
Some people open their hearts to God & Some dont