T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
So I'm in my mid 30s, living with my parents, I don't have a job, I'm autistic, and I've been looking back if I changed my decisions what would I been in a better situation.

No matter how many times I looked back on my life and the choices I made, I'm finding outside of investing into BTC when it was in the cents. There was nothing I could've done different without using future knowledge that could've gotten me in a better situation. And then, even if I did invest into something like BTC when it was in the cents. It realistically wouldn't changed my life until last year.

Like I wanted to go into the military when I was in HS, but I wanted to go in as an officer. So I ended up getting 4 degrees (aerospace, general IT, network, and a higher network degree with a focus on cyber security). Through my time getting them I did the learn to code crap, I tried to start my own companies, I tried to find love but couldn't and only found a ton of catfish, and so on. I found out later that the military doesn't accept autistic people, companies generally stay away autistic people to the point in some cities it is estimated we are about 60% of the homeless and we have a stupid high unemployment rate. I've tried building up contacts and all of them ended up ghosting me or not doing what they promised me. I found the demand for workers was BS back then and even today it is BS unless if you go for min wage jobs. On top of all that I tried the inventing and licensing, and nothing came from that.
I thought about if I went for other degrees. At first I started thinking about accounting, but I almost failed things like micro economics and had to beg my teacher to allow me to pass. College and general school was horrible to the point where I had to only take 2 classes at a time. So anything with a even higher degree wouldn't be possible anyways. I worked in manufacturing in a few places and got fired for being different. But even before then, I was harassed to high hell and back, and I got extremely suicidal during that time. Plus I hated the work to an extreme.

The only jobs that might accept me is low end min wage or near min wage jobs. Stuff you don't get retirement and you have no idea what your schedule is week by week. I would still end up being stuck living with my parents because the other option is working 3 to 4 jobs to pay for the basics. And while some might say I should do that, if that is what my life will be then I might as well end it.

And then even if I took the BTC path, as I mention it wouldn't of seriously paid off until last year. My granddad died last year. He was honestly my favorite person in the world. He dealt with extreme poverty and I would've loved to helped him live more a happy life and spent more time with him.
It just pisses me off that there wasn't any non-forced errors I made outside of the BTC thing. And again, that would've only paid off last year. That I did what society told me to. I stay out of trouble, I went to school, I learned about new tech, and so on.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Simba, waitingforrest, justsayin and 4 others
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

I was once a pretty angel
Mar 4, 2022
Sorry man, a person can do everything right in their life and in the end, it still goes to shit. You were dealt a bad hand with autism but you still managed to accomplish a lot. You can feel good about that. That sucks that no one wants to hire you, I would imagine IT, and cyber sector to be accepting of autistic people but sorry if that's not the case. Are there any other possibilities and options you have? Maybe living with your parents until you save some money, or working from home where they don't know you have autism. Anyway, wish you well!

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
How would the military, or a company know that you were autistic unless you were telling them?

You don't have to wear a label on your sleeve. Stop disclosing those things.

I feel for you, as I am in the same boat, and took similar paths.

ADHD/autism doesn't have to be a deficiency.

We just experience the world differently, and unfortunately, in order to be successful, you have to "play the game" and "wear the mask".

T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
Sorry man, a person can do everything right in their life and in the end, it still goes to shit. You were dealt a bad hand with autism but you still managed to accomplish a lot. You can feel good about that. That sucks that no one wants to hire you, I would imagine IT, and cyber sector to be accepting of autistic people but sorry if that's not the case. Are there any other possibilities and options you have? Maybe living with your parents until you save some money, or working from home where they don't know you have autism. Anyway, wish you well!
IT in general seems to be a who you know thing. And it honestly seems like a dying field since AI is taking over much of the jobs slowly, or companies force 8 jobs into 1.

I've been trying to get into the work from home for a long time now. The problem here is most places prior covid was anti-work at home. Some even advertise as such, and then said they wanted me there 4 days of the week and remote 1 day. Since all the jobs were across country I couldn't take them. Same then and now the problem is unless if you are SR level, it is a pain to get a remote job.

How would the military, or a company know that you were autistic unless you were telling them?

The military does background checks and if you lie that is federal laws you are breaking. Like I had some idiots in the past say well just lie. I talked to recruiters about what happens, and they mentioned a number of people that done this with other medical things or whatever that would've deny them. Since there is records a background check found it, and since they lied some of them ended up in legal trouble.

As far as companies it is a mixture thing. See the thing is while autism isn't visible. My and many others experienced if you aren't open then you still have a hell of a time. Like after a point I started being open about it and disclosing it as a filter. Like prior to then I found after some time harassment from other coworkers/boss kicked up, task would change, and so on. Like let me give you an example on one of the manufacture jobs.
In this job we all had company emails and every so often there was computers on the floor. It was an aerospace manufacturing job and we had to log things, we could check our company email, and do other task. Anyways, one day my manager told me to work in the freezer, and then after and hour of doing task in there she called me to leave the freezer and show up in the middle of the floor along with our team and other teams. She started yelling at me saying I wonder off and shouldn't been in the freezer. I openly said she sent me an email and later I showed a coworker (a few weeks later that coworker and I was fired). Another job they accused me of being a company spy and started to harass the hell out of me. And I can keep going.

So it isn't an I'M AUTISTIC LOOK AT ME. It is, this person is different and maybe drops their mask for a split second or doesn't wear it as well as they can.
Looking into it this type of harassment is extremely common. And if things are working out for you then great. But looking at the statistics of things. This is more common than not.

Reactions: Al_stargate
Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Same here. Ocd fucked me. Did great in school but can't work at all, which means no owning a home or having relationships.

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest