• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

JustGiveNovacaine

JustGiveNovacaine

Oct 11, 2023
This time I'm not even looking at it as method (but if it can be used, please do tell me). My psychiatrist just prescribed me with it (along with another long list of drugs that don't do shit) and I really don't know if I wanna take it. It feels like I'm gonna become a robot, I don't know. I'll become less impulsive, less suicidal and in a way less me? I also do coke and alcohol, and the way he described Lithium might take the effect of those things away too.

I feel like I'll become what everyone wants me to, and that only make me more depressed, like I'm not enough. Or maybe I'm just exaggerating.

So what are your thoughts?

Reactions: zeecen
F

Forveleth

I knew I forgot to do something when I was 15...
Mar 26, 2024
But are you really "you" while doing coke and alcohol? It's trading one set of mind-altering substances for another. The prescribed ones however will leave you way more functional than addictive drugs. It sounds like you're afraid cutting your addictions is going to turn you into a different person and it will. But for the better.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I heard that lithium is used to treat depression. I've never taken it, but I think it's weird that lithium is also in (lithium ion) batteries

C

cursedbynature64

Feb 23, 2024
I heard that lithium is used to treat depression. I've never taken it, but I think it's weird that lithium is also in (lithium ion) batteries
I mean that's just how chemical compounds work. Sodium violently explodes in water. Chlorine is used as a cleaning chemical in pools. But both of them together is just salt, which we put on food, and is abundant in the ocean, which does not explode.

JustGiveNovacaine

JustGiveNovacaine

Oct 11, 2023
But are you really "you" while doing coke and alcohol? It's trading one set of mind-altering substances for another. The prescribed ones however will leave you way more functional than addictive drugs. It sounds like you're afraid cutting your addictions is going to turn you into a different person and it will. But for the better.
I guess you're right, I'm afraid. But those things makes me me, you know? Certainly not my best version, but it's still something that gives me pleasure from time to time. Maybe I'm in denial, tbh.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forveleth
OrphicEnd

OrphicEnd

ㅤㅤ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Aug 24, 2023
Try a week and see how you feel

Z

zeecen

Mar 30, 2024
I take lithium and it is helpful for me but i don't think it's something you should ever entertain misusing. It is definitely possible to die from lithium toxicity but it is not quick or painless.

Lithium does not make me feel like a robot, it very much calms my mood disorganization. I would try it and see if it's helpful, but please note that it can take a few weeks to build up in your system when taken as prescribed and to quit you will need to be weened off.

With lithium it is not recommended to mix it with alcohol or recreational substances, alcohol especially can cause lithium toxicity. You could probably get away with a few drinks every now and then but any significant usage will be dangerous. Lithium will also make alcohol stronger and vice versa. I'm not sure about cocaine interactions. I am able to use drugs like cannabis with permission from my doctor, but anything could potentially be dangerous. Moderation will be key.

I get the sense that you feel your other medications are unhelpful? Are you able to talk to your prescriber about your concerns? You know yourself better than anyone especially when it comes to how medications are effecting you.

Last edited:
S

sanitystruggle

Experienced
Mar 12, 2024
I was on lithium for about three years. Didn't find it did much at all aside from damping down suicidal thoughts. I was occasionally using coke and although it might have taken the edge off it a bit it didn't make a massive difference.

Lithium and alcohol isn't a big problem. You just need to avoid dehydration.

If it's being prescribed for bipolar and you experience mania/hypomania then you might find you get a bigger benefit from it. I predominantly experience depression (only two hypomanic episodes in more than 40 years) and I didn't find it had much impact on the symptoms for me.

The most annoying aspect of being on lithium is the constant blood tests, both for monitoring lithium levels and thyroid function.

There's also an interaction between lithium, caffeine and nicotine that is not well known or understood by many doctors. Caffeine increases clearance of lithium from the body so heavy coffee drinkers are likely to need higher lithium doses. Nicotine has the same effect on caffeine. The upshot is that you can't quit smoking or cut down your caffeine intake without a possible effect on your lithium levels (making them too high and risking toxicity or making them drop below the level needed for a beneficial effect). It's only an issue if you're a heavy smoker/caffeine user but worth knowing about it that's the case. I had to reduce my lithium once after stopping smoking and finding that meant I didn't want to drink as much coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forveleth
saduser88

saduser88

Mar 24, 2024
Lithium is for bipolar- moon stabilizer. I was on Depakote and just felt depressed all time.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim